Report: Alex Rodriguez wants to move the Timberwolves to Seattle

John Galt

Reaction score

Alex Rodriguez is part of a group that recently agreed to buy the Minnesota Timberwolves, and the group reportedly has some big plans.

The Pioneer Press’ Charley Walters published a lengthy notes column on Saturday that was full of juicy nuggets. One of the nuggets said that Rodriguez’s group was planning to involve Timberwolves legend Kevin Garnett in the franchise. However, there is one problem.

According to Walters, Rodriguez’s group would like to move the Timberwolves to Seattle, while KG wants to keep them in Minnesota.

A Timberwolves minority owner is suing to stop the sale because he feels he should have tag-along rights, which would allow him to sell his stake at a higher valuation.

The Timberwolves have been around since the 1989-90 season. Seattle had the SuperSonics from 1967 to 2008, until they moved to Oklahoma City and became the Thunder.

Seattle is hungry for a franchise. If the city doesn't get the Timberwolves, it could end up with an expansion team.

TurfGopher

Reaction score
That is a story without any good information. I don't think they will move, Our media market is just as good as Seattle's. Sure there is definitely more money over there but I don't think enough to make it worth it to move. They still need to win to be lucrative anyhow. I don't think Minneapolis should fight to save the team anyhow, pack up your shit and leave if you want to go.

MennoSota

Reaction score
Best thing, if one wants higher attendance at Gopher and Tommies basketball games.
The abysmal front office and ownership of the TWolves makes me ambivalent to what happens with this franchise. If we lose pro basketball it won't affect me at all.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Seattle and Vegas are far too obvious, as strong pro sports markets with new(er) arenas for NHL that are capable of supporting NBA as well.

Thus, whomever steps forward to be ownership groups wanting to put NBA franchises in those markets, will be required to pay the hefty expansion fees.

howeda7

Reaction score
I wouldn't dismiss this on the basis of the NBA wanting an expansion team there. They can just charge a hefty "relocation" fee instead.

Section2

Reaction score
I would love it if the Wolves moved. Just a miserable franchise. Will be interesting to see if new ownership can make any dent I guess. As always, I’m sure this is about leverage for new facilities?

Angry

Reaction score
Forgive me I’ve never been to Seattle. Are there wolves there? Even though the team has sucked the jerseys have been successful in sales. It seems silly to devalue the current brand. Unless he has a better idea, but I always kind of thought of ARod of not being the sharpest tool in the drawer.

Wally

Reaction score
Everything I heard is that the league wants an expansion team/s because of the massive payday for the league.

bga1

Reaction score
Forgive me I’ve never been to Seattle. Are there wolves there? Even though the team has sucked the jerseys have been successful in sales. It seems silly to devalue the current brand. Unless he has a better idea, but I always kind of thought of ARod of not being the sharpest tool in the drawer.
They will be the Seattle CHAZ. Do it! Please take them.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
most feel that ARod and Lore will let things play out in MN for a few years........and then they will proclaim that the team needs a new arena. Assuming no public entities offer to finance a new arena, that would supposedly give ARod and Lore an out to go to the league and claim they have to relocate the franchise.

My personal idea - the U of MN and the Wolves go in together on a new building for the Wolves, Lynx, Gopher Men and Gopher women.

balds

Reaction score
If it's Seattle, please change the name and bring back the Super Sonics. My favorite name and jersey in the history of the NBA.

beatles

Reaction score
Losing the Wolves would suck. I’m not a diehard fan by any means but I care about Minnesota sports teams and losing a franchise would be embarrassing.

beatles

Reaction score
Plus, for those of us who remember, 2004 was an absolute blast. Edwards could be a franchise type player who could lead us to some fun years ahead. Watching that happen in another city would really sting.

GoodasGold

Reaction score

Alex Rodriguez is part of a group that recently agreed to buy the Minnesota Timberwolves, and the group reportedly has some big plans.

The Pioneer Press’ Charley Walters published a lengthy notes column on Saturday that was full of juicy nuggets. One of the nuggets said that Rodriguez’s group was planning to involve Timberwolves legend Kevin Garnett in the franchise. However, there is one problem.

According to Walters, Rodriguez’s group would like to move the Timberwolves to Seattle, while KG wants to keep them in Minnesota.

A Timberwolves minority owner is suing to stop the sale because he feels he should have tag-along rights, which would allow him to sell his stake at a higher valuation.

The Timberwolves have been around since the 1989-90 season. Seattle had the SuperSonics from 1967 to 2008, until they moved to Oklahoma City and became the Thunder.

Seattle is hungry for a franchise. If the city doesn't get the Timberwolves, it could end up with an
Move them! And soon!!

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
They're either bringing in KG in 2.5 years, or moving the team to Seattle.

But not both.

Top Bottom