Reconciliation

Section2

Reaction score
Again I ask, which particular issue do you think is unpopular? I've presented polls on specific issues and a poll on the overall bill. You've made assertions.
I have not once assessed whether the bill is popular. I am asserting that no one knows what’s in it beyond $2000 checks and vague notions of stimulus or relief. The framing of the bill is the reason it’s popular, as well as the framing of the survey questions.

Spoofin

Reaction score
I have not once assessed whether the bill is popular. I am asserting that no one knows what’s in it beyond $2000 checks and vague notions of stimulus or relief. The framing of the bill is the reason it’s popular, as well as the framing of the survey questions.
So you are saying that if you ask people if they want to get $2,000 and most reply 'yes', that this doesn't necessarily mean that everything in the stimulus bill is a good idea?

justthefacts

Reaction score

People understand this plan a lot better than they understood the TJCA that Republicans passed.

Here's the plan document: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...esident-biden-announces-american-rescue-plan/

Here's a summary: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/14/biden-stimulus-package-details-checks-unemployment-minimum-wage.html

Here's another summary: https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/14/poli...escue-package-coronavirus-stimulus/index.html

Here's a great Tax Foundation breakdown: https://taxfoundation.org/biden-stimulus-american-rescue-plan/

justthefacts

Reaction score
So you are saying that if you ask people if they want to get $2,000 and most reply 'yes', that this doesn't necessarily mean that everything in the stimulus bill is a good idea?
As I've already mentioned in this thread, the other details of the plan are popular. The least popular item gets 60% approval. Half of the items get 60+% approval from Republicans who watch Fox News.

Section2

Reaction score
You didn’t take my question the way it was intended. Most giant bills are filled with garbage. It’s now they get passed. That’s my only point, is there no garbage in this bill that constituents are unaware? 99% of the time the answer is yes. I haven’t read the bill. And I’m opposed to stimulus bills either way. The least bad bill would be simple checks to everyone.

justthefacts

Reaction score
You didn’t take my question the way it was intended. Most giant bills are filled with garbage. It’s now they get passed. That’s my only point, is there no garbage in this bill that constituents are unaware? 99% of the time the answer is yes. I haven’t read the bill. And I’m opposed to stimulus bills either way. The least bad bill would be simple checks to everyone.
We get it. You think Congress should never pass a bill nor spend a dime ever. Fine. If we stipulate that can we discuss policy proposals and their merit?

This proposal, both in total and in the details, is vastly more popular than the 2 policy proposals for which Republicans used Reconciliation in 2017. If Democrats use reconciliation to pass this proposal without any Republican votes, any complaints about unity are simply bad faith. Also, any Republicans who complain about the deficit are also doing so in bad faith given all the spending they presided over for 4 years.

Wally

Reaction score
Thats every bill, its a separate issue really.

Section2

Reaction score
Thats every bill, its a separate issue really.
It’s a $2T Bill. The last time the government passed huge stimulus bills in 08 and 09, it was filled with crappy pork. It’s magnified when you have these giant spending provisions. The stimulus checks are popular. Average American isn’t complaining if the govt just passed those as a stand-alone and nothing else.

howeda7

Reaction score
Funny how 2 is outraged about a bill that hasn't passed yet. So much for "waiting to see."

Section2

Reaction score
Funny how 2 is outraged about a bill that hasn't passed yet. So much for "waiting to see."
Asking a question = outrage? Wait to see when some event happens that we know no details about. Or when someone promises to do something and you don’t think they will. How would it apply to a specific bill being debated? Are you capable of thought?

Serious question: do you oppose this stimulus Bill?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
It’s a $2T Bill. The last time the government passed huge stimulus bills in 08 and 09, it was filled with crappy pork. It’s magnified when you have these giant spending provisions. The stimulus checks are popular. Average American isn’t complaining if the govt just passed those as a stand-alone and nothing else.
Pork is needed. That's how you make deals and get people to agree to things.

It's better to have a government capable of functioning, thus passing new legislation, than gridlock.

justthefacts

Reaction score
It’s a $2T Bill. The last time the government passed huge stimulus bills in 08 and 09, it was filled with crappy pork. It’s magnified when you have these giant spending provisions. The stimulus checks and many other aspects of the bill are popular. Average American isn’t complaining if the govt just passed those as a stand-alone and nothing else.
FIFY

Wally

Reaction score
08/09 were tiny compared to Trumps stimulus bills. Do you have selective memory?

Angry

Reaction score
When blue states just get bailed out every 5 to 10 years they are not getting back less than what they paid in. There’s a big difference between 500 billion and 40-60.

Wally

Reaction score
When blue states just get bailed out every 5 to 10 years they are not getting back less than what they paid in. There’s a big difference between 500 billion and 40-60.
Blue states generally pay in more than they get every year.
Righties love to freeload off liberals...

jamiche

Reaction score
Just for purposes of clarification, hangry, are you referencing the 2017 tax bill (passed by reconciliation) that effectively raised taxes on the blue states and lowered them on the red states or the proposed stimulus bill that will provide fed support to 18 red states and 20 blue states (including a couple of new ones--right on!) that are currently in the red? Please illuminate.

jamiche

Reaction score
You are very ordinary which means you won't complain when you get your check. A lot of other people grasp the greater good of the entirety of the bill.

Section2

Reaction score
You are very ordinary which means you won't complain when you get your check. A lot of other people grasp the greater good of the entirety of the bill.
Unlike you, I haven’t received a penny in covid stimulus money.

Section2

Reaction score
I keep forgetting that you make $400/hour.
You’re welcome for paying for your covid check that you didn’t earn. Maybe donate some to a favorite charity if you have one.

Top Bottom