POTUS proclaims himself a "very stable genius" "being, like, really smart.”

Section2

Reaction score
KGF said he was a populist here: https://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/threads/steve-bannons-book.80571/page-3#post-1500968

Here's Steve Hilton Fox News: https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/trump-real-populist-facts-democrats-steve-hilton

Here's Trump echoing Steve Hilton:
Laura Ingraham wrote a book about it:

Steve Bannon said Trump was running as a populist during the campaign: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steve-bannon-trump-tower-interview-trumps-strategist-plots-new-political-movement-948747
like I said, it's a vague term that people can use to mean a lot of different things. I looked up the wikipedia defintiion and it's basically pro government intervention. So I don't really think that your definition and what your links refer to, match.
Trump populism is anti global elites, pro america, trade interventionism. There are populist components, but it doesn't meet the general definition you're using. Nationalism does.

Is Obama a nativist?

GoodasGold

Reaction score
like I said, it's a vague term that people can use to mean a lot of different things. I looked up the wikipedia defintiion and it's basically pro government intervention. So I don't really think that your definition and what your links refer to, match.
Trump populism is anti global elites, pro america, trade interventionism. There are populist components, but it doesn't meet the general definition you're using. Nationalism does.

Is Obama a nativist?
Absolutely riveting!!(y)

howeda7

Reaction score
If Paula White had invoked this heartfelt prayer 14 years ago, there likely would be no Barron tRump.
Careful. If you even mention Barron's name the Trumpsters clutch their pearls.

GopherJake

Reaction score

Is Obama a nativist?
Oh for God's sake, S2. Just stop deluding yourself. This is the deafness I am talking about. But really, this is nothing new for you. You have always struggled with definitions.

pop·u·list
/ˈpäpyələst/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: populist; plural noun: populists
  1. a person, especially a politician, who strives to appeal to ordinary people who feel that their concerns are disregarded by established elite groups.
    "he ran as a populist on an anticorruption platform"
adjective
adjective: populist
  1. relating to or characteristic of a political approach that strives to appeal to ordinary people who feel that their concerns are disregarded by established elite groups.
    "party leaders plan to reprise the populist rhetoric that they used in the tax fight"
    • appealing to or aimed at ordinary people.
      "it seems their efforts in creating a populist movement for chamber music are paying off"

Section2

Reaction score
Oh for God's sake, S2. Just stop deluding yourself. This is the deafness I am talking about. But really, this is nothing new for you. You have always struggled with definitions.

pop·u·list
/ˈpäpyələst/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: populist; plural noun: populists
  1. a person, especially a politician, who strives to appeal to ordinary people who feel that their concerns are disregarded by established elite groups.
    "he ran as a populist on an anticorruption platform"
adjective
adjective: populist
  1. relating to or characteristic of a political approach that strives to appeal to ordinary people who feel that their concerns are disregarded by established elite groups.
    "party leaders plan to reprise the populist rhetoric that they used in the tax fight"
    • appealing to or aimed at ordinary people.
      "it seems their efforts in creating a populist movement for chamber music are paying off"
Yawn
Economic nationalism, or economic patriotism, economic populism, refers to an ideology that favors state interventionism over other market mechanisms, with policies such as domestic control of the economy, labor, and capital formation, even if this requires the imposition of tariffs and other restrictions on the movement of labor, goods and capital. In many cases, economic nationalists oppose globalization or at least question the benefits of unrestricted free trade. Economic nationalism is disputed as the doctrine of mercantilism, and as such favors protectionism.

Jake has NEVER waded into a "definition" argument and been anything other than a whiny doosh.

Jake has no idea what the argument is, what he's arguing, what points are being made. He just thinks I was wrong in a definition. For a term that has a vague meaning, and multiple uses. Super helpful. I don't care WHAT definition of populism you want to use. Define it however you like. I'm not making anyone use my definition. What I object to in this instance and in basically EVERY SINGLE definitional argument is this tactic.

X word applies to Y situation.
I disagree based on my understanding of X word, and state why.
Others disagree that X word means what I say.

I don't care what definition of X word you want to use.

If you mean populism the way Jake defined it, then I AGREE that it applies to Trump. If you think populism means what the wikipedia definition says, then I DISAGREE that it applies to Trump. I don't need populism to mean what I say to make my point.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Nobody was talking about “economic” populism. Nice diatribe though.

Section2

Reaction score
I actually do care.

There are two types of populism, nativism and economic populism.
SWING and a miss. Bye bye Jake. Back to ignore.

Do you ever get tired of popping in out of nowhere in a discussion I'm having with someone else and getting completely embarrassed? How is it that you never learn your lesson? Sad.

Last edited:

GopherJake

Reaction score
SWING and a miss. Bye bye Jake. Back to ignore.

Do you ever get tired of popping in out of nowhere in a discussion I'm having with someone else and getting completely embarrassed? How is it that you never learn your lesson? Sad.
Gotta admit, you nailed me on that one, S2. Kudos and apologies. Doesn't change things much, but you definitely won this round. Carry on.

Dean S

Reaction score
I am declaring myself an economic nativist. You could say I am going native for cash. Yes, I am declaring myself the party leader of the American Gigalo (gig.a.low) Party or American GAP, for short. And, I am looking for a few good Americans to fill in the GAP. Man, I am looking forward to filling the GAP. Yeah. I am looking forward to that party.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Dear Lord, don't tell me you're going to join JTF in a downward tailspin of an existence, constantly mired in syntax discrepancies? I think you're better than that. I get screwing with S2, but there are better ways, yes?

GopherJake

Reaction score
Dear Lord, don't tell me you're going to join JTF in a downward tailspin of an existence, constantly mired in syntax discrepancies? I think you're better than that. I get screwing with S2, but there are better ways, yes?
Section2 busted me in a sloppy drive by. Lesson learned.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I don't need populism to mean what I say to make my point.
The fundamental reason that internet discussion sucks the big one, by far and wide, summed up in a nutshell: People use their own definitions for words. Incessantly.

You're wrong. Those words had those definitions before you incorrectly selected them and misused them.

Section2

Reaction score
The fundamental reason that internet discussion sucks the big one, by far and wide, summed up in a nutshell: People use their own definitions for words. Incessantly.

You're wrong. Those words had those definitions before you incorrectly selected them and misused them.
Listen dumass, you can define it however you like, and I'll accept your definition and make my argument based around that.
You can't possibly be arguing that populism and economic populism are rigid terms with strictly defined meanings?
From wikipedia
-Within political science and other social sciences, several different definitions of populism have been employed, with some scholars proposing that the term be rejected altogether.
-Populism refers to a range of political stances

You are right that definitional arguments are completely stupid. I try not to engage in them. But these arguments are abused by people on the left who want to put words in other people's mouths. It's a pathetic tactic.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I'll accept your definition and make my argument based around that.
Not my definition. Populism had a definition. For quite a long time.

If you were referring to some jargon or pop slang, you should've been more careful. That is all. I don't actually care about your argument.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I am declaring myself an economic nativist.
Meaning you want Americans who own the means of production, to become even more rich and have even higher profits, by increasing their total outputs, while further cutting out the working class on their fair share of the pie, via automation and robotics?

What a platform.

Dean S

Reaction score
Meaning you want Americans who own the means of production, to become even more rich and have even higher profits, by increasing their total outputs, while further cutting out the working class on their fair share of the pie, via automation and robotics?

What a platform.
You would have done well following around Pol Pot with an AK-47 for a year or two.

justthefacts

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Now tweets out an image from days before he even mentioned Alabama in his tweet. From the National Weather Service? Nope.

Disclaimer on Image:
NHC Advisories and County Emergency Management Statements supercede this product. This graphic should complement, not replace, NHC discussions. If anything on this graphic causes confusion, ignore this entire product.

Not only was the map doctored, it was old when it was used:

MplsGopher

Reaction score
You would have done well following around Pol Pot with an AK-47 for a year or two.
No idea what you're trying to say. Try being forthcoming, instead of crypic?

Or better yet, defend your position of economic nativism. Without any defense, it is an abhorrent position to take. But I think you are generally a good person and intelligent. So I think you're capable.

(granted, we already sort of went down this road in the other thread, so if you want to defer to that, fine)

justthefacts

Reaction score
Republican Senator suggests that the President of the United States doesn't know how to contact the Attorney General

MplsGopher

Reaction score
But, of course, still wants him reelected.

Party/ideology over country.

howeda7

Reaction score
Republican Senator suggests that the President of the United States doesn't know how to contact the Attorney General

Despite that, he's a brilliant leader who's done so much that no other POTUS could get done. KGF told me so.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Hahahahaha

We just accept and normalize that type of idiocy in our president now. If it gets us Row v Wade overturned, if it gets us limited government, if it gets us bibles in schools, it's worth it!

Section2

Reaction score
The second I saw this, I knew JTF and Howie would be all over it. Only surprise is that it didn't warrant a new thread.

Top Bottom