Pitino sent Michael Hurt a text saying he was wrong for not playing him more vs MD

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Hurt seems like a good kid. When he plays well and with confidence he gives some valuable minutes.

saintpauljeff

Reaction score
I thought his role was solely to recruit his brother? Guess this won’t help matters.

Moonlight

Reaction score
Things that make you say hmmmm.
Who was this text supposed to communicate with?

MennoSota

Reaction score
Pitino's text has "pacify mommy and daddy Hurt" written all over it.
Your kid gets recruited to play and then you don't see your kid play. It can grind on parents who want to see their kid play, regardless of victory. It can be even more frustrating if the team loses and your kid didn't contribute. "If only my kid had played..."
Do not under estimate the power of parental gossip... especially when they have another kid you're recruiting...

Atl Gopher

Reaction score
Hurt plays much better when IW is in the game.
I know coach knows much better then do I, but I believe we need that we need IW in the game a lot more. Hurt is constantly moving and making himself available, but it is not just him. The only other player that we have that can anything like IW, is Carr. Last time I checked he can't play this year.

IW's body language may have been poor from time to time, but this is because of his self-expectations. I just want to see him play 30 minutes in a game and see if that body language won't improve.

Look what the little guard from Maryland did to us Tuesday night by penetrating.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Hurt plays much better when IW is in the game.
You might be right. Washington seems the most willing to dish to lesser players for easier shots. Stockman and Omersa have also been the beneficiaries of Washington passes. I remember during last year that Washington seemed to be one of the more willing perimeter players to throw the ball inside to Bakary as well.

jovs

Reaction score
He gets in position inside and passes the ball out to the perimeter after getting the ball in the post better than anyone else, he might have made a big difference in the second half against Maryland.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
was talking to a coach the other day - he suggested that the perfect coaching job would be at an orphanage. No parents to deal with.

Gopherbbdude

Reaction score
the entire presser

Embed Video

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/P6b1MR6IHjM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ltf

Reaction score
the entire presser

Embed Video

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/P6b1MR6IHjM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Thanks for posting this. Interesting how he talked about he was disappointed how the missed free throws zapped the teams' energy and how they have to be tougher than that. Also how he didnt approve of 3 of Isaiah's shots that came without making a pass first - led to fast breaks the other way.

Goldteam

Banned
Reaction score
Could someone break down what playing Hurt more would have done?

Maryland seemed to have some dam good athletes. How would playing Hurt more have helped against this?

I'm seriously at a loss on this.

Last edited:

Moonlight

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. Interesting how he talked about he was disappointed how the missed free throws zapped the teams' energy and how they have to be tougher than that. Also how he didnt approve of 3 of Isaiah's shots that came without making a pass first - led to fast breaks the other way.
Interesting how IW seems to be the reason for sooo many of our problems.
Of course, Pitino's father set the stage for this prior to the beginning of the season.

GopherSteak

Reaction score
I know coach knows much better then do I, but I believe we need that we need IW in the game a lot more. Hurt is constantly moving and making himself available, but it is not just him. The only other player that we have that can anything like IW, is Carr. Last time I checked he can't play this year.

IW's body language may have been poor from time to time, but this is because of his self-expectations. I just want to see him play 30 minutes in a game and see if that body language won't improve.

Look what the little guard from Maryland did to us Tuesday night by penetrating.
I agree 100%

builtbadgers

Reaction score
No they do not.

Just to be clear, it is apparent to me that when iw is in the game Hurt plays better and scores more.

Good grief.
What are the reasons that Coach Pitino does not play IW more ? There have to be reasons. I have mine.

builtbadgers

Reaction score
And what are Rick's reasons?
Wish i knew or i would not be asking. The only reason i think he does not play him more is because IW playing more lessens the chances to win. Specifically what i think is he takes bad shots and grades out as a terrible defender. What do you think are the reasons Pitino has ?

Moonlight

Reaction score
Before the season started (in October) Rick (not Richard) called out IW as the weak link on his son's team and suggested Richard might have to go in a different direction.
What would your body language be after that?

Angry

Reaction score
Before the season started (in October) Rick (not Richard) called out IW as the weak link on his son's team and suggested Richard might have to go in a different direction.
What would your body language be after that?
I got to get in the gym and bust my a$$. Duh

BarnBurner

Reaction score
What are the reasons that Coach Pitino does not play IW more ? There have to be reasons. I have mine.
Of course there are reasons. I don’t speak for Richard. Surely you know that?

Mine would be his defense is piss poor and he has made poor decisions with the ball, mostly.

builtbadgers

Reaction score

Mine would be his defense is piss poor and he has made poor decisions with the ball, mostly.
Pretty good chance he is seeing what you are. Anyone not seeing it will not let themselves overcome what they wish for to see the truth. Coach sees it clearly. Same phenomenon as fans say that was terrible officiating in a loss but never say how well it was officiated in a win, they pay it no attention. I still think he can become a really good player but there were dozens of high caliber coaches who passed on him for a reason. Being great on the Globetrotters is different that being great on a great college team.

Angrygopher1

Reaction score

He should never shoot seven seconds into the clock without passing the ball unless it is an uncontested layup. I would also make the rule that he has a couple assists before he shoots unless it is an uncontested layup

GoodasGold

Reaction score
He should never shoot seven seconds into the clock without passing the ball unless it is an uncontested layup. I would also make the rule that he has a couple assists before he shoots unless it is an uncontested layup
Would you make that a team rule?

Moonlight

Reaction score
Pretty good chance he is seeing what you are. Anyone not seeing it will not let themselves overcome what they wish for to see the truth. Coach sees it clearly. Same phenomenon as fans say that was terrible officiating in a loss but never say how well it was officiated in a win, they pay it no attention. I still think he can become a really good player but there were dozens of high caliber coaches who passed on him for a reason. Being great on the Globetrotters is different that being great on a great college team.
No one is saying IW is without flaws - we're used to flawed players here.
But speaking of good coaches, Izzo worked and figured out how to make a very serviceable player who made strong contributions out of Tum Tum despite his shortcomings. I expect Pitino to do something similar instead of this constant whining about him. He didnt inherit this player from someone else's team vision.

Top Bottom