PEACE ALERT -FREEDOM IS HERE- ON THE DAY THAT BIDEN IS SWORN IN, MY DEMOCRACRY GAVE TO ME, A PRESIDENT WHO ISN'T MEAN & ANGRY!!!!

USAF

Reaction score
20000 National Guard troops deployed to DC...3 times the number of US troops in Iran and Afghanistan combined.

Thanks Trump. Wonderful 4 years you gave this nation.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
Which makes Pence and McConnell's cowardice all the more disgusting.
I actually think there's a strong chance that the Iran thing in particular and the general mayhem Trump can still do in general are the reasons that McConnell has come down in favor of impeachment.

howeda7

Reaction score
I actually think there's a strong chance that the Iran thing in particular and the general mayhem Trump can still do in general are the reasons that McConnell has come down in favor of impeachment.
He's not allowing it to proceed until next Tuesday though. Meaningless.

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
I disagree actually for the following reasons -

The Senate is a more deliberative body and they want more time to review the information, so therefore on the plus side, more info can be presented to them.
They could tack on a rider to the impeachment that prohibits him from every holding federal office again - if they get the number of needed votes.
It puts everyone on record for what their votes are.
It shows that you cannot F with our democracy and actions have consequences. We have to hold all parties accountable.

howeda7

Reaction score
I disagree actually for the following reasons -

The Senate is a more deliberative body and they want more time to review the information, so therefore on the plus side, more info can be presented to them.
They could tack on a rider to the impeachment that prohibits him from every holding federal office again - if they get the number of needed votes.
It puts everyone on record for what their votes are.
It shows that you cannot F with our democracy and actions have consequences. We have to hold all parties accountable.
We all saw what happened. You either find it a repulsive attack on our government or you don't. Not much to debate.

The vote to bar Trump from office happens automatically if the Senate convicts him.

If Mitch really gave a crap he would convene the Senate on Friday.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
Yeah, I know, and I'm not apologizing for him. Just trying to read the tea leaves in terms of his general support.

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
We all saw what happened. You either find it a repulsive attack on our government or you don't. Not much to debate.

The vote to bar Trump from office happens automatically if the Senate convicts him.

I understand, but I'd looking the the silver linings playbook in it being presented later rather then sooner. I thought I heard this afternoon the not holding office was a separate legal item - although I could be wrong as I'm not conversing with the fellas, lol

howeda7

Reaction score
I understand, but I'd looking the the silver linings playbook in it being presented later rather then sooner. I thought I heard this afternoon the not holding office was a separate legal item - although I could be wrong as I'm not conversing with the fellas, lol
Congress can still try to bar him from office with a separate bill, but it would end up before a judge if he ever tried to run. And probably one of his, since we let him pack the courts. If the Senate impeaches him, it's a done deal.

The bigger issue is not giving him 6 more days to incite his cult, nuke anyone or pardon any more criminals.

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Congress can still try to bar him from office with a separate bill, but it would end up before a judge if he ever tried to run. And probably one of his, since we let him pack the courts.
Thanks for clarifying.

howeda7

Reaction score
I'll say this: If they don't have the votes to convict in the Senate, it's better to leave it hanging over his head than acquit him while he's still in office. And maybe that is behind Mitch's seeming 180 on this. They need 17 R's, and even with Mitch on board, I only see Romney, Murkowski, Collins and Toomey as relatively safe yes votes.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I'll say this: If they don't have the votes to convict in the Senate, it's better to leave it hanging over his head than acquit him while he's still in office. And maybe that is behind Mitch's seeming 180 on this. They need 17 R's, and even with Mitch on board, I only see Romney, Murkowski, Collins and Toomey as relatively safe yes votes.
I have read that the senate will not reconvene until Jan 19.

What I'm wondering is the following: if the trial can't start before Trump leaves office, does that remove the option to conclude the trial after Trump leaves office? And then, which moment comes first: the senate majority turning over, or Trump's technical last moment he can hold office?

In either case, Trump can bypass this by stepping down before the trial can be started, or if the senate remains under McConnell's control through the official end of Trump's term then he can simply refuse to bring up a vote to start the trial.

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score
I dunno, lot of people think if Mitch actually goes through with it, it's pretty much a done deal.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I dunno, lot of people think if Mitch actually goes through with it, it's pretty much a done deal.
To get to 67, even in the new senate, even with Mitch onboard, is still going to be a tough task. They should still try it, of course.

Last edited:

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
I have read that the senate will not reconvene until Jan 19.

What I'm wondering is the following: if the trial can't start before Trump leaves office, does that remove the option to conclude the trial after Trump leaves office? And then, which moment comes first: the senate majority turning over, or Trump's technical last moment he can hold office?

In either case, Trump can bypass this by stepping down before the trial can be started, or if the senate remains under McConnell's control through the official end of Trump's term then he can simply refuse to bring up a vote to start the trial.
My understanding is as follows -

The Senate reconvenes on 1/19 and Mitch decides not to call them back in early, which is his purview. It doesn't matter that Dump is leaving, as the Senate still has to consider it as it Dump was impeached today by the House - the Senate votes whether to convict him of that impeachment.

Also the Senate will hold hearings etc (they are the Senate - that's what they do)...t and while the trial may start when Mitch still controls it, but doesn't have finish under his control, so then it can carry over past his time as Majority Leader of the Senate. They can also table it for consideration at a later date.

howeda7

Reaction score
My understanding is as follows -

The Senate reconvenes on 1/19 and Mitch decides not to call them back in early, which is his purview. It doesn't matter that Dump is leaving, as the Senate still has to consider it as it Dump was impeached today by the House - the Senate votes whether to convict him of that impeachment.

Also the Senate will hold hearings etc (they are the Senate - that's what they do)...t and while the trial may start when Mitch still controls it, but doesn't have finish under his control, so then it can carry over past his time as Majority Leader of the Senate. They can also table it for consideration at a later date.
Georgia's Senators could be seated as soon as Monday. Then it's not Mitch's show anymore starting at 12:01 on Wednesday.

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Georgia's Senators could be seated as soon as Monday. Then it's not Mitch's show anymore starting at 12:01 on Wednesday.
Thanks.

I'm not sure how the machinations of that work, I just head them say today Mitch wasn't going to call them back before 1/19.

I think the Ds have to formally vote for their majority leader (?)

Fun with civics!

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score
Just listened to his speech. That turnaround ass-kissing will probably be enough for most of the GOP to cite as ample reason to go easy on him. (But good, hopefully his crazies listen to him).

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
Is 20,000 National Guardsmen enough to handle the coming week? It is if they're loyal to the United States.

Wally

Reaction score
Its being intentionally leaked to the media that Mitch hates Trump and will never speak to him again.

Wally

Reaction score
I would say China and Russia are laughing their asses off at us right now.

Maybe Little Kim will even give Donnie asylum.

howeda7

Reaction score
Thanks.

I'm not sure how the machinations of that work, I just head them say today Mitch wasn't going to call them back before 1/19.

I think the Ds have to formally vote for their majority leader (?)

Fun with civics!
Yes. Presumably there will be a tie, which Kamala will have to break. Unless Ms. Murkowski would like to get on with switching parties already.

Which leads to another question: When does CA's new Senator get seated? Not sure.

Top Bottom