Oil plunges 39% to 21-year low, hits below $11/barrel

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Saloni:

Oil plunged to a more than 21-year low on Sunday. The commodity's latest round of sharp selling comes as uncertainty mounts around storage for excess oil. Demand for crude has plummeted since the coronavirus outbreak has frozen activity worldwide.

West Texas Intermediate crude oil plunged as much as 39% to $11.20 a barrel, its lowest price since December 1998 and biggest intraday drop since at least 1982.

Go Stable Economy!!

Section2

Reaction score
per Saloni:

Oil plunged to a more than 21-year low on Sunday. The commodity's latest round of sharp selling comes as uncertainty mounts around storage for excess oil. Demand for crude has plummeted since the coronavirus outbreak has frozen activity worldwide.

West Texas Intermediate crude oil plunged as much as 39% to $11.20 a barrel, its lowest price since December 1998 and biggest intraday drop since at least 1982.

Go Stable Economy!!
That's scary stuff.

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Remember a dozen years ago when emails would go around... "If everyone doesn't buy gas on April 27th, the oil industry would crumble and prices will decrease immediately. All we need to do is to make sure no one buys gas for ONE DAY".

Seems like it's been more than one day.

Section2

Reaction score
Remember a dozen years ago when emails would go around... "If everyone doesn't buy gas on April 27th, the oil industry would crumble and prices will decrease immediately. All we need to do is to make sure no one buys gas for ONE DAY".

Seems like it's been more than one day.
I remember those emails. They all failed economics.

LesBolstad

Reaction score
I wonder if few working or driving in the World is impacting oil prices?

Panthadad2

Reaction score
I wonder if few working or driving in the World is impacting oil prices?

Nobody driving. Nobody flying. Etc. The decline in demand is unprecedented. Many oil producers, especially medium and small sized, are funded with debt. Those companies are toast. The banks and bondholders lending to them could be toast too.

"In its closely observed monthly oil-market report, the IEA projected that demand for crude would drop in April by 29 million barrels a day to levels not seen in a quarter of a century. That would equate to roughly 29% of the world’s 100-million-barrel daily oil-demand figure from 2019...

“When we look back at 2020, we may see it was the worst year in the history of oil markets and the second quarter may have been the worst of the lot,” said Fatih Birol, the IEA’s executive director. “In that quarter, April may have been the worst month. It may go down as ‘Black April’ in the history of the oil industry.”"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/oil-demand-projected-to-fall-by-record-amount-11586940434

LesBolstad

Reaction score
So much for electric cars the next decade with free gasoline.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Oil companies will soon start paying us to take their oil.

Veritas

Banned
Reaction score
Already have one. Still planning to be another in a couple years.

I owned, at some cost to me, a hybrid for 10 years. Then the DFL types figured out that I should pay a special road usage tax for having committed the unforgivable sin of not giving the state enough money through the gasoline tax. Fortunately, that did not pass here, but the DFL is still working on it. "No good deed (buying a hybrid) should ever go unpunished." Never again will I get suckered into doing "the right thing for the environment".

justthefacts

Reaction score
I owned, at some cost to me, a hybrid for 10 years. Then the DFL types figured out that I should pay a special road usage tax for having committed the unforgivable sin of not giving the state enough money through the gasoline tax. Fortunately, that did not pass here, but the DFL is still working on it. "No good deed (buying a hybrid) should ever go unpunished." Never again will I get suckered into doing "the right thing for the environment".

Leaving your grandkids a damaged planet to own the libs.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
There's a lot to unpack here.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
You should have to pay some kind of fee to maintain the roads. Are you a freeloader?

howeda7

Reaction score
Do you go the extra mile and throw your trash out the car window whenever possible?

justthefacts

Reaction score
Don't worry, everyone. Trump and MBS got together and decided to lower oil prices, and then raise them, and the reduce them again.

T0tmupT.png

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Oil is now at $1.28, down 92% today.

Go Gophers!!

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
Don't worry, everyone. Trump and MBS got together and decided to lower oil prices, and then raise them, and the reduce them again.

T0tmupT.png

Oil at sub $2 is all part of Trump's master plan as CRG's notes. Trump is playing chess while everyone is playing checkers.

Section2

Reaction score
93% drop in the most important resource on the planet. But testing! Dunk on CRG!!

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
Oil at about a quarter a barrel. I have a few quarters in my pocket, I'm going to buy a few barrels.

Section2

Reaction score
Oil hit NEGATIVE $40 a barrel. Meaning, oil companies will pay you $40 to take a barrel of oil. I can't believe stocks are not panic selling. This is incredible. the Middle east, Venezuela, Texas, North Dakota, CRUSHED

Panthadad2

Reaction score
The May contract for oil is now $-18 per barrel.

Edit: I was late. It's crashing further.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Oil hit NEGATIVE $40 a barrel. Meaning, oil companies will pay you $40 to take a barrel of oil. I can't believe stocks are not panic selling. This is incredible. the Middle east, Venezuela, Texas, North Dakota, CRUSHED
The stock market makes no sense right now.

Panthadad2

Reaction score
Did you take any action to raise the price? I did. I bought some USO today.

If you buy USO, don't hold it longer than a couple weeks. It has massive built-in price erosion right now due to contango in the oil market (because of the way it's structured). If you don't mind less liquidity, USL would be a better structured ETF if you need to hold longer than that.

Top Bottom