Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

BBJones

Reaction score
Winfield didn't play college football.

Sandy Stephens' younger brother, Ray, played both football and basketball. Didn't play a lot in either sport, but man, did that guy have some hops on the basketball court.

Going way back, there were a lot of football/baseball guys. Paul Giel comes to mind as one of the best. But that was before spring practice became a staple in football.
Ray Stevens was never a star and more of a career backup. However, in 1968, he stepped out of a career back-up role to QB the Gophers well in a 6-4 season that began with losses to top-ranked USC and Nebraska. I know I'm revealing my advanced age, but I remember being at that Nebraska game.

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
While Winfield was drafted by the Vikings, I don't believe he ever played football for the Gophers.
Winfield was drafted by 4 professional leagues! MLB, NFL, NBA and ABA. First athlete to ever be drafted by four leagues.

50PoundHead

Reaction score
Going even further back Bud Grant was a three-sport, nine-letterman athlete in football, basketball, and baseball an All-Big Ten honors in football twice while a member of Phi Delta Theta fraternity.
Funny thing about Bud is I don't think he ever got a degree (or so I've been told--can't verify).

I grew up in the 1950s and 1960s for the most part and I would hear tales of Bud's exploits in amateur baseball. He was truly a gifted athlete. He played in both the NBA and the NFL.

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Funny thing about Bud is I don't think he ever got a degree (or so I've been told--can't verify).

I grew up in the 1950s and 1960s for the most part and I would hear tales of Bud's exploits in amateur baseball. He was truly a gifted athlete. He played in both the NBA and the NFL.
Bud left school early to join the Minneapolis Lakers. Would be surprised if he finished his degree at that time. Not sure on later.

Top Bottom