Nuclear War, Should we Worry?

OldBob53

Reaction score
The truth is that Russia has a few thousand activated nuclear weapons, about the same as U.S. Yes, the truth is not often a pleasant thing. And then there's India and Pakistan, old enemies, each with a few hundred. Not to mention France, Britain and Israel.......... and China.

While we're all mesmerized by personal hand-held devices and reaching for the golden rings of consumerism, are we oblivious to an existential threat?

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
I tend to think that IF there is a nuclear incident, it is more likely to be a smaller-scale incident - terrorist group of some sort gets a hold of a suitcase-sized bomb or slightly larger and triggers it in a major urban area. It would not be total destruction, but would still cause considerable damage with resulting fallout.

Imagine a small nuke triggered at or near Wall Street. the US economy would go into a free-fall.

Or the "Black Sunday" scenario - a small nuke at a major event like a Super Bowl or New Year's Eve at Times Square. Either way, it would make 9/11 seem tiny by comparison.

I see that as much more plausible than a "Doctor Strangelove" scenario where Country X hits the US with a conventional nuclear device sent by missile or dropped from a plane.

OldBob53

Reaction score
I tend to think that IF there is a nuclear incident, it is more likely to be a smaller-scale incident - terrorist group of some sort gets a hold of a suitcase-sized bomb or slightly larger and triggers it in a major urban area. It would not be total destruction, but would still cause considerable damage with resulting fallout.

Imagine a small nuke triggered at or near Wall Street. the US economy would go into a free-fall.

Or the "Black Sunday" scenario - a small nuke at a major event like a Super Bowl or New Year's Eve at Times Square. Either way, it would make 9/11 seem tiny by comparison.

I see that as much more plausible than a "Doctor Strangelove" scenario where Country X hits the US with a conventional nuclear device sent by missile or dropped from a plane.
Well, neither Russia or the U.S. would set about starting a nuclear war absent a deranged or drunken President/ Premier. More likely: miscalculation or human error leading to an inexorable escalation.

Cruze

Reaction score
Yes. If there is a nuclear war it will be started by Pakistan, India, North Korea or a country in the Middle East.

howeda7

Reaction score
I'm comforted by the fact that we have a very stable genius at the controls. Very, very stable.

Deleted_User

Reaction score
I only begin to worry when the word 'nuclear' is mispronounced.

Top Bottom