Next Gopher Head Coach

Some guy

Reaction score
We were bad last year and the national publications aren't going to deep dive into the changes unless we had a top 10 recruiting class or something. In most cases the separation between 7 and 11 is minimal.
Especially when teams 5-12 in the big ten are all probably between 20th and 45th best team in the country

manderson1984

Reaction score
Anecdote:

Georgia's 2019 class had a 5* guy and four 4* guys. I only know this because of looking up Edwards.

They were only predicted to finish 9th in the SEC with that class. They went on to finish 13th in the standings.
Stars don't equate to winning as much as age and development in college basketball. Washington had two 5 stars and a former 4 star transfer and were worse than us last year.

tmvander

Reaction score
Stars don't equate to winning as much as age and development in college basketball. Washington had two 5 stars and a former 4 star transfer and were worse than us last year.
Exactly, but stars dictate the rankings and the rankings dictate if we're recruiting "well" or not.

Guys like Jordan Murphy and Nate Mason hurt our recruiting rankings but were arguably two of the best Gophers in the last decade.

manderson1984

Reaction score
Exactly, but stars dictate the rankings and the rankings dictate if we're recruiting "well" or not.

Guys like Jordan Murphy and Nate Mason hurt our recruiting rankings but were arguably two of the best Gophers in the last decade.
I think if we win, we will think we've recruited fine. Stars just let us get excited before the product is here and we've developed them. I'll take UVA's, Wisconsin's, or a Purdue's recruiting classes any day of the week over Kentucky or Arizona's top rated classes if it means we win like they do. We should really worry about recruiting rankings 2-3 years in the class.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I think if we win, we will think we've recruited fine. Stars just let us get excited before the product is here and we've developed them. I'll take UVA's, Wisconsin's, or a Purdue's recruiting classes any day of the week over Kentucky or Arizona's top rated classes if it means we win like they do. We should really worry about recruiting rankings 2-3 years in the class.
I know the discussion has gone round and round, and not looking to pick it back up.

I just think a lot of people believe that higher star ratings correlate with higher winning/achievement on the court, even in the mid-range (not just at the top). So .... yeah.

manderson1984

Reaction score
I know the discussion has gone round and round, and not looking to pick it back up.

I just think a lot of people believe that higher star ratings correlate with higher winning/achievement on the court, even in the mid-range (not just at the top). So .... yeah.
Yeah I will admit that the star ranking system has gotten better over the years so it’s a reasonable measure but it’s still flawed. Roster construction has changed so much too. It really does seem like a roster of 4 year guys who are rated in the 75-200 range mixed with a couple top 25-75 guys is the recipe for National and conference championships.

manderson1984

Reaction score

Yeah I will admit that the star ranking system has gotten better over the years so it’s but it’s still flawed. Roster construction has changed so much too. It really does seem like a roster of 4 year guys who are rated in the 75-200 range mixed with a couple top 25-75 guys is the recipe for National and conference championships for a program like ours

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Yeah I will admit that the star ranking system has gotten better over the years so it’s a reasonable measure but it’s still flawed. Roster construction has changed so much too. It really does seem like a roster of 4 year guys who are rated in the 75-200 range mixed with a couple top 25-75 guys is the recipe for National and conference championships.
Haha, try selling that to ADs as a prospective basketball head coach!

"I want to come in here and have a roster of mostly 4 year guys who don't have any professional prospects and reason to leave the team. You know, guys ranked in the hundreds!"

:cool:

manderson1984

Reaction score
Haha, try selling that to ADs as a prospective basketball head coach!

"I want to come in here and have a roster of mostly 4 year guys who don't have any professional prospects and reason to leave the team. You know, guys ranked in the hundreds!"

:cool:
I didn't say anything about professional prospects. 3-4 year guys still find their way on to NBA teams, but not so much as high draft picks. My main point which you know and why I always bring it up is that we need to quit using recruiting rankings to rip Pitino. There are certainly many other points of data to use that are more valid and reasonable when wanting him gone imo

builtbadgers

Reaction score
I didn't say anything about professional prospects. 3-4 year guys still find their way on to NBA teams, but not so much as high draft picks. My main point which you know and why I always bring it up is that we need to quit using recruiting rankings to rip Pitino. There are certainly many other points of data to use that are more valid and reasonable when wanting him gone imo
Agree that i would not condemn him for recruiting rankings. Other programs with worse rankings than ours have won 30 games and conference championships. It is ok to have different takes. Even with all of his failures i still do not want him gone. I want him to win the job now !

Roland Brooks

Reaction score
Good one so clever and witty as always! Can I use your great material or is it copyrighted?

Great comments can’t wait for the next one so innovative.

Top Bottom