New Bill to promote competition in drug prices

bga1

Reaction score
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/6505/text

Allows Medicare to negotiate directly with drug companies on drug prices. CORRECT

If drug companies won’t negotiate in good faith, it allows the govt to take their IP and give it to a generic drug maker to make a generic version just for Medicare. CORRECT

*BIG* middle finger in the air to these greedy b___ards!
Looks similar to what Trump discussed in SOTU so we might have some bi partisan legislation for a change. Trump proposed this: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/05/health/drug-prices-rebates-sotu.html

I have not dug into how the ideas differ if at all.

I would also like to see the pharmaceutical companies be required to offer the United States the best price offered to other developed nations for the same drug or the generic version of it. That would level the playing field with the nationalized health care countries that are taking advantage of us and artificially lowering their own cost at our expense. If the drug companies are willing to sell to underdeveloped countries at even lower prices I have no problem with that. Let's call it charity. As it is today, we pay for the world's pharmaceuticals and people falsely claim that universal health insurance lowers cost.

The give back to this provision would be reforming the tort liability laws to cap these ridiculous class action law suits that benefit the lawyers and blow up the cost structure.

Reduce the time to market for FDA approval
Right to try was a good step
Tort reform
Price parity

Section2

Reaction score

GopherJake

Reaction score
I would also like to see the pharmaceutical companies be required to offer the United States the best price offered to other developed nations for the same drug or the generic version of it.
More regulation if BGA likes it, otherwise regulation is evil.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Something has to be done. A real crisis unlike the fake crises Trump and his followers continually spew fake news about.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score

Allows Medicare to negotiate directly with drug companies on drug prices. CORRECT

If drug companies won’t negotiate in good faith, it allows the govt to take their IP and give it to a generic drug maker to make a generic version just for Medicare. CORRECT

Apparently, you’re in favor of unlimited government power with your last comments.

The bolded is a concern for me. Agree with S2’s “good faith” post. Who defines that?

I think a better way to address drug prices for Medicare would be to expect pharma companies to charge no more than the lowest price that a company gives to negotiated/fixed drug prices for foreign countries. At least there’s some rational expectation for fairness.

theczar

Reaction score
That will really motivate the pharm companies to spend on research and better treatments

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
That will really motivate the pharm companies to spend on research and better treatments
It's either that or they stop making money all together and fail as a company so yeah I'm sure their motivation will be just fine.

bga1

Reaction score
More regulation if BGA likes it, otherwise regulation is evil.
Were you aiming that at S2? I know that you have developed yourself some S2DS. I am for less regulations- sensible ones.

Care to comment on the idea or just taking pot shots?

howeda7

Reaction score
Apparently, you’re in favor of unlimited government power with your last comments.

The bolded is a concern for me. Agree with S2’s “good faith” post. Who defines that?

I think a better way to address drug prices for Medicare would be to expect pharma companies to charge no more than the lowest price that a company gives to negotiated/fixed drug prices for foreign countries. At least there’s some rational expectation for fairness.
What you describe would clearly be negotiating in good faith. It's a legal term in many contracts, not some open-ended unknowable thing.

Gophers_4life

Reaction score
Throw some molecules in a pill, see if they have some kind of effect that’s marketable, then cram it through approvals. Deal with side effects later.

I think we can pass on those “treatments”.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Throw some molecules in a pill, see if they have some kind of effect that’s marketable, then cram it through approvals. Deal with side effects later.

You don’t know sh!t about pharmaceutical R&D

God

Banned
Reaction score

Greedy? Just because you don’t like their pricing? These companies have an obligation to maximize returns for their shareholders..... just like all publicly traded companies do.

howeda7

Reaction score

Doesn't work like that. Though you describe how it would work in 2-land, minus the "cram it through approvals" part. There are no approvals there.

God

Banned
Reaction score

Haha. I like the character you’ve created. How do you plan on developing your character? I’d suggest a twist like finding God or something.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Were you aiming that at S2? I know that you have developed yourself some S2DS. I am for less regulations- sensible ones.

Care to comment on the idea or just taking pot shots?
I did comment on your idea and I thought it was pretty clear what I was saying. But I’ll be more direct. I think it’s an asinine idea coming from someone who likes to pretend he’s anything other than a big government when I like the idea, small government when I don’t, guy. That is you BGA.

diehard

Reaction score
You don’t know sh!t about pharmaceutical R&D
bubbles could learn a few things from him. Went to a large hospital pharmacy yesterday to get a scrip from the pharmacist. Because of a large project I did for the CEO and knowing all the people in the pharmacy, I thought there would be no problem. bottled said so. Anyway, they said I had to have a scrip from a MD, that pharmacists can't write scrips. He also said, "you know that!" I silently agreed and smiled. So I gave him the scrip from the surgeon and he gladly filled it. Funny how that worked out. Oh, and I stopped by a Walmart and they wouldn't write a scrip for me either, but I already had the percocet from the hospital.

Gophers_4life

Reaction score
Doesn't work like that.
Doesn't it??? How many new drugs are actually helpful, when considering all the side effects??

Most of the "engineered molecules" that humans have come up with, that were actually decently helpful to people, were discovered long ago. Those patents have run out, and they're generic or OTC at this point. But gotta keep feeding the beast .... so just start making s___ up and paying off doctors to prescribe it. That's my view of big pharma.

John Galt

Reaction score
Doesn't it??? How many new drugs are actually helpful, when considering all the side effects??

Most of the "engineered molecules" that humans have come up with, that were actually decently helpful to people, were discovered long ago. Those patents have run out, and they're generic or OTC at this point. But gotta keep feeding the beast .... so just start making s___ up and paying off doctors to prescribe it. That's my view of big pharma.
You really don't understand the biologics and pharam industries and the cutting edge therapies that have been invented and commercialized in the last 10 years for multiple sclerosis, oncology and numerous areas.

John Galt

Reaction score
Remember when the ACA was going to lower the cost of health insurance?

Here's a great idea - we should let the same people that came up with that legislation figure out how to lower the price of prescription drugs...

Gophers_4life

Reaction score
You really don't understand the biologics and pharam industries and the cutting edge therapies that have been invented and commercialized in the last 10 years for multiple sclerosis, oncology and numerous areas.
Yep, you see commercials on TV pushing pills of MS, oncology, etc. all the time. Those are the big sellers!

That type of research easily can -- and should be -- left up to universities, funded by grants from the NIH.

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
I did comment on your idea and I thought it was pretty clear what I was saying. But I’ll be more direct. I think it’s an asinine idea coming from someone who likes to pretend he’s anything other than a big government when I like the idea, small government when I don’t, guy. That is you BGA.
Big Government Addict is probably the funniest (and most spot-on) nickname ever created on this forum.

howeda7

Reaction score

Most new drugs that actually make it to market have benefits that far outweigh their side effects. They undergo years of trials for safety and efficacy. They are not "thrown together." Obviously there are exceptions. And the above does not always mean that the prices they charge are justified.

howeda7

Reaction score
Yep, you see commercials on TV pushing pills of MS, oncology, etc. all the time. Those are the big sellers!

That type of research easily can -- and should be -- left up to universities, funded by grants from the NIH.
Nothing is stopping academic research in these areas. It's not a binary choice.

Gophers_4life

Reaction score
Nothing is stopping academic research in these areas. It's not a binary choice.
Come on now. You really believe that big pharma, with the gobs of money they spend for politician control, aren’t actively trying to reduce NIH funding for new drugs??? Please

Top Bottom