Net Neutrality Repeal

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
No I don't. Because we are moving in the opposite direction to the predictions. Competition is INCREASING. Investment is INCREASING. Customer experience is better. If you understand markets, this is no surprise at all. If you think only government is benevolent and corporations are trying to screw over their customers, you are scratching your head.
Net Neutrality was a solution in search of a problem, not a response to real complaints by customers. And if I'm wrong, what's the big deal? If it becomes a problem, you can implement your net neutrality rules at that time. The reason this was such a panic, and pushed so hard by the MSM is because they didn't want to give you a chance to see what would happen.
The article that only took Omega 1 minute to find contradicts everything you are saying.

Section2

Reaction score
The article that only took Omega 1 minute to find contradicts everything you are saying.
competition isn't increasing? Please quote that in the article for me. I already showed Disney+ and Apple
Investment isn't increasing? link please.
Customer experience wasn't even mentioned. It's getting worse?

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
competition isn't increasing? Please quote that in the article for me. I already showed Disney+ and Apple
Investment isn't increasing? link please.
Customer experience wasn't even mentioned. It's getting worse?
From the article
"It's pretty clear from the carriers that they are singling out video as a category and throttling it when there is no need to throttle it on the network," said Ryan Singel, a media and strategy fellow at Stanford Law School's Center for Internet Society.

It's easy to throttle video content -- which consumes a lot of bandwidth -- without cutting consumers off entirely by streaming it at lower resolutions."

Seems like the customer's experience is being affected and was mentioned in the article.

We'll see what happens. Like the article said it's likely amazon is paying to not be throttled, which of these new companies will pay more? We'll have to see. But you are wrong... again.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
ISPs are throttling is what the article says. And?
And the government should disallow ISPs from doing any such things.

Just as the government doesn’t allow companies to price gouge for bottled water during natural disasters.

Exact same concept.

Section2

Reaction score
From the article
"It's pretty clear from the carriers that they are singling out video as a category and throttling it when there is no need to throttle it on the network," said Ryan Singel, a media and strategy fellow at Stanford Law School's Center for Internet Society.

It's easy to throttle video content -- which consumes a lot of bandwidth -- without cutting consumers off entirely by streaming it at lower resolutions."

Seems like the customer's experience is being affected and was mentioned in the article.

We'll see what happens. Like the article said it's likely amazon is paying to not be throttled, which of these new companies will pay more? We'll have to see. But you are wrong... again.
So you ignored competition and investment. I guess that article didn’t contradict everything (anything?)

maybe so, I don’t notice a lot of noise about lower resolutions. But, given the dire predictions, some people having slightly lower resolution seems like a silly complaint, if it’s even true.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
So you ignored competition and investment. I guess that article didn’t contradict everything (anything?)

maybe so, I don’t notice a lot of noise about lower resolutions. But, given the dire predictions, some people having slightly lower resolution seems like a silly complaint, if it’s even true.
No I said give it time. Maybe all these streaming services survive? Maybe sometime soon new ones won't because these big ones will continue (see what I did there) to pay to have the smaller ones throttled so they can't succeed. Too early to tell.

It's not a silly complaint. You are just saying that because I burned you again after you were already burned so bad earlier.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
ISP throttling is what Soviets or Chinese would do. That’s what conservatives and Libertarians are claiming to support. I guess you support communism.

mplarson7

Reaction score
Have we become portugal as mplarson predicted? ISPs have total control over what we can access? Do we get charged a monthly fee to access Facebook or Twitter?

Help yourself to some cream for your burn BB :)
You seem to have put words in my mouth that weren't there. I provided an example of what has happened in countries without net neutrality. Are you disputing what happened there?

Net neutrality is supported by the vast majority of the population. Only reason any conservatives oppose net neutrality is the "omg Obama" argument.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Only reason any conservatives oppose net neutrality is the "omg Obama" argument.
+1M

Obama could’ve proposed that water utilities should not be able to dump rat poison into the drinking water, and these dumb mfers would be crowing about the same old free market BS.

stocker08

Reaction score
Exactly what we all (most reasonable people) thought would happen. ISPs throttling selected video services in favor of others. Nice screen on that new phone.....enjoy this stream in 240p quality.

Deuce: Customer service is at an all-time high based upon an opinion I formed with no basis whatsoever....but it backs my bad claim from before. Good thing I bumped this thread so people would see how right I was. Oh....and Disney+. I win.

Last edited:

Section2

Reaction score
You seem to have put words in my mouth that weren't there. I provided an example of what has happened in countries without net neutrality. Are you disputing what happened there?

Net neutrality is supported by the vast majority of the population. Only reason any conservatives oppose net neutrality is the "omg Obama" argument.
an example that you weren’t predicting would happen here with the repeal? Ok.

3 years in. None of the dire predictions have remotely come true. Honest people would acknowledge they were wrong.

mplarson7

Reaction score

3 years in. None of the dire predictions have remotely come true. Honest people would acknowledge they were wrong.
Didn't take affect until October of last year, so it's only been a few months.

You really like stretching that post. I provided an example of what happened in another country that does not have net neutrality. Did I say that's what would happen in the US? Are you disputing the fact of what happened in the example I posted?

Section2

Reaction score
Didn't take affect until October of last year, so it's only been a few months.

You really like stretching that post. I provided an example of what happened in another country that does not have net neutrality. Did I say that's what would happen in the US? Are you disputing the fact of what happened in the example I posted?
I just pulled up a handful of posts from the first two pages of people making some dire predictions. If you weren’t predicting anything, fine. Happy?

there is widespread dishonesty around what the NN proponents said would happen (end of the internet, authoritarianism) and what has happened. Would be nice for some acknowledgment but that’s wishful thinking Iguess.

mplarson7

Reaction score
I just pulled up a handful of posts from the first two pages of people making some dire predictions. If you weren’t predicting anything, fine. Happy?

there is widespread dishonesty around what the NN proponents said would happen (end of the internet, authoritarianism) and what has happened. Would be nice for some acknowledgment but that’s wishful thinking Iguess.
Would be nice for you to acknowledge what has happened in countries without net neutrality, but that would require you to fact check and not be thickheaded about it. Too wishful on my part, I guess.

Section2

Reaction score
Would be nice for you to acknowledge what has happened in countries without net neutrality, but that would require you to fact check and not be thickheaded about it. Too wishful on my part, I guess.
I’m not going to spend time learning about the regulatory environment in Portugal and I’m not
going to take your word for it.
I’m on record predicting what will happen, and so far I’ve been correct.

mplarson7

Reaction score
I’m not going to spend time learning about the regulatory environment in Portugal and I’m not
going to take your word for it.
I’m on record predicting what will happen, and so far I’ve been correct.
Lol. You didn't even know when the repeal took effect. You are clearly very informed on the subject. :eek:

It's good that you don't educate yourself. It's easier to keep your head buried in the sand and be ignorant. 'Tis the boomer way.

Section2

Reaction score
Lol. You didn't even know when the repeal took effect. You are clearly very informed on the subject. :eek:

It's good that you don't educate yourself. It's easier to keep your head buried in the sand and be ignorant. 'Tis the boomer way.
This New York Times article from June of 2018 says the repeal took effect that month.

mplarson7

Reaction score
This New York Times article from June of 2018 says the repeal took effect that month.
So the effect was in June 2018, the appeal was upheld October 2019. My bad.

Still far short of the 3+ years you stated. Also, you're still uneducated about what has happened in other countries without net neutrality and actually refuse to educate yourself about the topic.

Another also, since you're a big states' rights guy and all, you really shouldn't be supportive of the FCC decision since they are trying to block individual states from enacting net neutrality legislation. This is pretty inconsistent with other stances you have.

stocker08

Reaction score

Time to shut it down guys. The internet didn't end in the one to two years that this has been in effect. Don't concern yourself with ISPs throttling speeds for certain sites. That doesn't matter. ISPs should be able to pick winners and losers based upon who's paying them the most. Deuce loves monopolies.

mplarson7

Reaction score
Time to shut it down guys. The internet didn't end in the one to two years that this has been in effect. Don't concern yourself with ISPs throttling speeds for certain sites. That doesn't matter. ISPs should be able to pick winners and losers based upon who's paying them the most. Deuce loves monopolies.
It doesn't matter that lack of net neutrality has screwed the citizens of other countries, that's not gonna happen here cuz 'Murica.

stocker08

Reaction score
It doesn't matter that lack of net neutrality has screwed the citizens of other countries, that's not gonna happen here cuz 'Murica.
Once deuce takes a stance....it cannot be wrong. He'll take it to his grave. Net neutrality repeal wouldn't do anything. ISPs throttling speeds for certain sites (as we all predicted and he said "NO") is actually a good thing.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Repealing net neutrality is literally the same thing as saying the city water dept should be able to limit your home to 1gal per day if you refuse to pay them a bribe.

Literally the same thing.

Section2

Reaction score
So the effect was in June 2018, the appeal was upheld October 2019. My bad.

Still far short of the 3+ years you stated. Also, you're still uneducated about what has happened in other countries without net neutrality and actually refuse to educate yourself about the topic.

Another also, since you're a big states' rights guy and all, you really shouldn't be supportive of the FCC decision since they are trying to block individual states from enacting net neutrality legislation. This is pretty inconsistent with other stances you have.
GTFO. You came strong calling me ignorant because I didn’t know the start date and you didn’t know it yourself.

Section2

Reaction score
I’m sure you have a full handle on what’s happening in Portugal. You seem really educated on the subject.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
^^^ that’s his schtick. He gets off on your frustration. The more frustrated he can get you, the more he giggles in his mom’s basement. Haven’t ever seen him have an honest discussion on this board.

Don’t waste your time

mplarson7

Reaction score
^^^ that’s his schtick. He gets off on your frustration. The more frustrated he can get you, the more he giggles in his mom’s basement. Haven’t ever seen him have an honest discussion on this board.

Don’t waste your time
Oh, I'm aware. Doesn't change he's a grade A hypocrite. It's fun to poke at him about it.

Angry

Reaction score
Repealing net neutrality is literally the same thing as saying the city water dept should be able to limit your home to 1gal per day if you refuse to pay them a bribe.

Literally the same thing.
Speaking of water.
We need great city leaders like the ones from Flint or Newark.:p

Top Bottom