Net Neutrality Repeal

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
yes, my implication is obvious. "The end of the internet" claims were wrong. Things are fine and getting better. Progs were really riled up about the NN repeal, and now silence. If anything went wrong, you can bet it would be screamed far and wide. Things running smooth doesn't get much attention.
Give it time.

howeda7

Reaction score
Give it time.
Much of the repeal is still being litigated. 2 is trying desperately to spike the ball and declare victory in a 0-0 game with 12 minutes left in the first quarter while posting articles that have nothing to do with it. Sad.

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
yes, my implication is obvious. "The end of the internet" claims were wrong. Things are fine and getting better. Progs were really riled up about the NN repeal, and now silence. If anything went wrong, you can bet it would be screamed far and wide. Things running smooth doesn't get much attention.
Plenty of people have been discussing the implications. You just don’t want to pay attention.

Verizon throttled fire department’s “unlimited” data during Calif. wildfire

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/08/verizon-throttled-fire-departments-unlimited-data-during-calif-wildfire/

GopherJake

Reaction score

Gophers_4life

Reaction score
Regardless, it should be illegal for residential internet service providers to pick "winners" or "losers" in terms of how and which data gets to their customer's homes.

Data service/internet access is an essential utility at this point, same as electricity. It should be run mostly by municipalities and co-ops.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Regardless, it should be illegal for residential internet service providers to pick "winners" or "losers" in terms of how and which data gets to their customer's homes.
The fire department chose their plan. They had the same choice to upgrade to non-throttled service as any other customer.

Data service/internet access is an essential utility at this point, same as electricity. It should be run mostly by municipalities and co-ops.
No it’s not. It’s not even yet universally available, let alone commoditized.

Gdizzle

Reaction score
The fire department chose their plan. They had the same choice to upgrade to non-throttled service as any other customer.

It kind of is when kids in public school need it for homework. Thankfully the advent of cheap basic tier wireless internet seems to satisfy a large percentage of people. Those who need 3 simultaneous streams and video games can pay comcast.

Gophers_4life

Reaction score

The firefighter thing is not relevant here. That’s wireless anyway.

Local ISP isn’t universally available and commoditized??? Why are you saying that? (Please, more than a “because I say so” response, thank you)

GopherJake

Reaction score
It kind of is when kids in public school need it for homework. Thankfully the advent of cheap basic tier wireless internet seems to satisfy a large percentage of people. Those who need 3 simultaneous streams and video games can pay comcast.
I agree with your last point. Is it required? I'm not 100% on that.

howeda7

Reaction score
Electricity is not universal either. That doesn't mean it can't be regulated. Internet should be regulated as a utility. Just as with water and electricity there are limited/no alternatives to your primary provider in most places granting them a monopoly.

Gophers_4life

Reaction score
Electricity is not universal either. That doesn't mean it can't be regulated. Internet should be regulated as a utility. Just as with water and electricity there are limited/no alternatives to your primary provider in most places granting them a monopoly.
Wore than that. Corrupt FCC laws make it illegal for municipalities to provide internet service! Government granted monopoly. Disgusting!

Section2

Reaction score
Wore than that. Corrupt FCC laws make it illegal for municipalities to provide internet service! Government granted monopoly. Disgusting!
Whoa whoa whoa, you're letting the cat out of the bag. Get back on script!

Section2

Reaction score
This is correct. There are so many problems with our current system which is not working just fine and no one is complaining about it. We must regulate it so that it doesn't make our other regulation look bad.

GopherJake

Reaction score
The discussion is net neutrality, not purchasing a wireless plan with higher data limits.
I'd encourage you to review UU's post, which you clearly didn't read and to which I responded originally.

Elaborate. Otherwise I'm going to assume it is not true at all (otherwise, you'd easily be able to explain why), and go on my merry way.
Sure:

Definition of universal

(Entry 1 of 2)

1: including or covering all or a whole collectively or distributively without limit or exceptionespecially : available equitably to all members of a society

Definition of commodity

1: an economic good: such as
c: a mass-produced unspecialized product
commodity chemicals
commodity memory chips

Definition of a clue

1: an understanding of things going on around you about which you might be tempted to comment

Gophers_4life

Reaction score
to which I responded originally.
I was never responding to that part of your post #486, with my post #487. The “Regardless, ...” had nothing to do with your post in fact. Hence why I didn’t quote it.

Sounds like we’re on the same page that data limits in a wireless plan aren’t related to net neutrality.

You agree that residential internet service is as universal as electrical service. Plenty enough that it should be regulated as a utility.

Glad we’re on the same page.

GopherJake

Reaction score
I was never responding to that part of your post #486, with my post #487. The “Regardless, ...” had nothing to do with your post in fact. Hence why I didn’t quote it.

Sounds like we’re on the same page that data limits in a wireless plan aren’t related to net neutrality.

You agree that residential internet service is as universal as electrical service. Plenty enough that it should be regulated as a utility.

Glad we’re on the same page.
Whatever helps you sleep. A couple questions:

1. How old are you? I seriously hope you are like a sophomore in college.

2. Are you a sock puppet?

GopherJake

Reaction score
Knowing that you aren’t able to think of a reasonable argument in support of private ISP monopolies DOES help me sleep. Very well. Thank you!
Yeah, I'm going to call this one early. You are an idiot. You have no idea where I stand on all this. You are a young sock puppet, that's my read.

howeda7

Reaction score
This is correct. There are so many problems with our current system which is not working just fine and no one is complaining about it. We must regulate it so that it doesn't make our other regulation look bad.
No one was complaining about it before net neutrality repeal either. The concept has been honored since the beginning of the internet. The new regs simply codified it. The repeal removed them. So far, there have not been significant abuses. But that's because much of it is still being held up. You're attempting to declare victory in the first quarter like someone who thinks -50 proves climate change isn't real.

Last edited:

howeda7

Reaction score
Most areas have electricity. Some don't. Same for internet access. What's confusing?

I don't follow why something has to be "universal" in order to be regulated?

Last edited:

Section2

Reaction score
No one was complaining about it before net neutrality repeal either. The concept has been honored since the beginning of the internet. The new regs simply codified it. The repeal removed them. So far, there have not been significant abuses. But that's because much of it is still being held up. You're attempting to declare victory in the first quarter like someone who thinks -50 proves climate change isn't real.
Yes, what we really need to do with fast changing technology is codify it.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Most areas have electricity. Some don't. Same for internet access. What's confusing?
Where in the US do we not have electricity?

I don't follow why something has to be "universal" in order to be regulated?
I don't believe I ever stated it did. Here is the statement I responded to:

I don't agree with either of those things.

Gophers_4life

Reaction score
Probably because you work for Comcast.

Who else actually prefers to be gouged for s___ internet service???

howeda7

Reaction score
Where in the US do we not have electricity?

I don't believe I ever stated it did. Here is the statement I responded to:

I don't agree with either of those things.
Not many places, but some remote places. Similarly true for at least dial-up internet.

You seemed to imply that for it to be considered a utility it had to be universally available like electricity.

I don't agree that it has to be run by municipalities. But I do think it is a utility and has all of the same issues with regards to companies having a virtual monopoly in many places.

Top Bottom