National Council of Churches

Blizzard

Reaction score
If syncretism is the blending of the beliefs of completely different religions, then you have incorrectly claimed in post #2 that the NCC supports syncretism.

Since it's a bad thing and expressly forbidden in the Bible, it's unlikely that there will be a common declaration found on their website that they support syncretism.

And in the above link, the word syncretism cannot be found.

That's because it's a word that describes a practice.

This is what it looks more like, which is on their website:

So you do indeed believe that trans people are welcome in the Christian churches.

That is what I believe should be, yes. I will worship next to most anyone who is seeking Christ. We are all beggars.

But so far, I am failing to see why their opinions about Trump's removal should be dismissed.

I think they should:

USAF

Reaction score
Well, since the writings of the Bible are thousands of years old I imagine many of the practices we see would be barbaric.

As tests of virginity are still a practice in some cultures, especially those of Islam, it's a good thing that Jesus set us free from the Law that you're quoting from.
It's a good thing we have you here today to let us know which parts of the Bible Jesus set us free from.

Could you provide a list?

Please oh please oh please let shellfish be on the list.

Blizzard

Reaction score
It's a good thing we have you here today to let us know which parts of the Bible Jesus set us free from.

Thanks. I'm here for you.

I'm not sure if you gleefully posted that or what. It's not really worth a reply other than it demonstrates your ignorance.

USAF

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm here for you.

I'm not sure if you gleefully posted that or what. It's not really worth a reply other than it demonstrates your ignorance.
So no list then?

Blizzard

Reaction score
So no list then?

It's part of the Ceremonial Law given to the Jews in Leviticus. Typically, the whole 'shellfish' thing is brought up by those arguing homosexuality.

Are you gay USAF?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Since it's a bad thing and expressly forbidden in the Bible, it's unlikely that there will be a common declaration found on their website that they support syncretism.

That's because it's a word that describes a practice.

This is what it looks more like, which is on their website:

Those are just dialogs. The pope has dialogs with leaders of other religions.

That is not at all syncretism. I have no seen any evidence in what you've presented so far that the NCC advocates for syncretism.

That is what I believe should be, yes. I will worship next to most anyone who is seeking Christ. We are all beggars.
Ok.

So by the way, where is the evidence that the NCC advocates for gay and/or trans people to be ordained? You seem to have incorrectly suggested they support syncretism, with no evidence supporting that.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
Wow...lots of Christian-on-Christian hate in this thread, and no of it relates to the OP. :rolleyes:

ELCA, United Methodist, etc. aren't some fringe sects, so it seems odd to dismiss their joint letter. Though they're not exactly going out on a limb here, as a broader cross section of society is calling for Trump's removal. Letter seems appropriate to me.

USAF

Reaction score
It's part of the Ceremonial Law given to the Jews in Leviticus. Typically, the whole 'shellfish' thing is brought up by those arguing homosexuality.

Are you gay USAF?
So no list then.

Blizzard

Reaction score
So no list then.

I can support myself in this conversation USAF. If you would like to read about it further I would recommend reading the entire books of Deuteronomy, Leviticus, with various spots in other books which the King would have the Law read to him after having lost the books of them, and then finish with Romans and Galatians. Pretty fascinating stuff if you ask me.

USAF

Reaction score
I can support myself in this conversation USAF. If you would like to read about it further I would recommend reading the entire books of Deuteronomy, Leviticus, with various spots in other books which the King would have the Law read to him after having lost the books of them, and then finish with Romans and Galatians. Pretty fascinating stuff if you ask me.
If you're not going to provide the list of which parts of the Bible Jesus said we could ignore, which you've referenced multipletimes, can you stop referring to it?

K thanks.

Blizzard

Reaction score
Those are just dialogs. The pope has dialogs with leaders of other religions.

That is not at all syncretism. I have no seen any evidence in what you've presented so far that the NCC advocates for syncretism.

Ok.

So by the way, where is the evidence that the NCC advocates for gay and/or trans people to be ordained? You seem to have incorrectly suggested they support syncretism, with no evidence supporting that.

They, by extension and endorsement of the list of member churches, both are advocates for and endorse gay and trans ministers. Same answer for syncretism. :)

USAF

Reaction score
They, by extension and endorsement of the list of member churches, both are advocates for and endorse gay and trans ministers. Same answer for syncretism. :)
Can you point to the biblical prohibition against gay ministers?

Blizzard

Reaction score
If you're not going to provide the list of which parts of the Bible Jesus said we could ignore, which you've referenced multipletimes, can you stop referring to it?

K thanks.

C'mon back after you read those books and hopefully gained any sort of idea of what you're talking about.

Blizzard

Reaction score
Wow...lots of Christian-on-Christian hate in this thread, and no of it relates to the OP. :rolleyes:

I've actually tried not to hate anyone in this conversation.

We're adults. Hopefully, we can speak reasonably about some things.

howeda7

Reaction score

You can have endless shrimp, but you must say "no homo" both before and after.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
I've actually tried not to hate anyone in this conversation.

We're adults. Hopefully, we can speak reasonably about some things.
Haven't tried very hard. In the VERY FIRST reply to the entire thread you suggested members of NCC are charlatans and made tangential references to syncretism and transsexual ministers. Doesn't seem like you're interested at all about speaking reasonably.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Well, since the writings of the Bible are thousands of years old I imagine many of the practices we see would be barbaric.

As tests of virginity are still a practice in some cultures, especially those of Islam, it's a good thing that Jesus set us free from the Law that you're quoting from.

Phew! Good thing! I got really nervous when I read the following, from Matthew 5:18...

The Fulfillment of the Law
17Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them. 18For I tell you truly, until heaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not astroke of a pen, will disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19So then, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do likewise will be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever practices and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.…

RememberMurray

Reaction score

Okay, but... didn't you just say that Jesus "set us free" from parts of Deuteronomy?

Maybe our recommended reading list should skip the ugly parts... since we've already been "set free" of them.

Blizzard

Reaction score
Phew! Good thing! I got really nervous when I read the following, from Matthew 5:18...

The Fulfillment of the Law
17Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them. 18For I tell you truly, untilheaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not astroke of a pen, will disappear from the Law untileverything is accomplished. 19So then, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do likewise will be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever practices and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.…

Do you know what this means?

I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them.

You're over your head son.

Blizzard

Reaction score
Okay, but... didn't you just say that Jesus "set us free" from parts of Deuteronomy?

Maybe our recommended reading list should skip the ugly parts... since we've already been "set free" of them.

See my post above this one.

Blizzard

Reaction score
Haven't tried very hard. In the VERY FIRST reply to the entire thread you suggested members of NCC are charlatans and made tangential references to syncretism and transsexual ministers. Doesn't seem like you're interested at all about speaking reasonably.

Indeed, yes. These are churches that teach everything up to and including universalism. We can speak reasonably about what is false.

MennoSota

Reaction score
Since this thread has devolved, I will only state that Jesus words should dictate how one is a Christian or isn't a Christian.

Jesus addressed that question in the 10th chapter of John's gospel. Accept it or reject it, I don't care, but I think Jesus gets the final say about who he chooses as a follower.
John 10:24-30
So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.” Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father’s name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me,is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. I and the Father are one."

I have nothing more to say. I figure Jesus gets to choose who are his followers and who aren't. I find this entire thread to be filled with comments that don't really care what Jesus actually stated. Read John 10 and figure it out for yourselves. This is my only comment on this matter. I am out.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Indeed, yes. These are churches that teach everything up to and including universalism. We can speak reasonably about what is false.

There are indeed many churches, many religions.

Most of them claim that they and they alone know (and own) the only way to truth, and to God.

Last edited:

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Please go ahead and let us know what Jesus was teaching.

So now I'm actually giving the lesson on what your beliefs actually mean? Just a minute ago you were handing out reading lists like a school marm.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
Since this thread has devolved, I will only state that Jesus words should dictate how one is a Christian or isn't a Christian.

Jesus addressed that question in the 10th chapter of John's gospel. Accept it or reject it, I don't care, but I think Jesus gets the final say about who he chooses as a follower.
John 10:24-30
So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.” Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father’s name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me,is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. I and the Father are one."

I have nothing more to say. I figure Jesus gets to choose who are his followers and who aren't. I find this entire thread to be filled with comments that don't really care what Jesus actually stated. Read John 10 and figure it out for yourselves. This is my only comment on this matter. I am out.
And stay out u wacko. 😡

RememberMurray

Reaction score
It's fun quoting Bible verses. I've learned today that we can ignore the ones that Jesus freed us from.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
Then this is where our reasonable conversation ends. You and I have very different interpretations of the Bible. But I've never called your faith false.

Top Bottom