National Council of Churches

Go4Broke

Reaction score
And I replied that they would have to believe in Jesus to be brought under the tent.
Saying you believe in Jesus, actually believing in Jesus, and living your life as a real Christian are entirely separate concepts. Real Christians have almost nothing in common with Evangelical Christians who support Trump and other right wing politicians who govern like they're in league with Satan.

Last edited:

USAF

Reaction score
So you believe then that they would renounce their false gods and confess Jesus Christ as Lord and believe in their hearts that he was resurrected from the dead? That sounds, to me at least, that they would be supportive of rejecting syncretism.
That's an argument IN FAVOR OF getting rid of religious sects.

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
The Bible is fairly specific.
She lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.

Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.

When a woman has a discharge, if her discharge in her body is blood, she shall continue in her menstrual impurity for seven days; and whoever touches her shall be unclean until evening. Everything also on which she lies during her menstrual impurity shall be unclean, and everything on which she sits shall be unclean.

When men fight with one another, and the wife of the one draws near to rescue her husband from the hand of him who is beating him, and puts out her hand and seizes him by the private parts, then you shall cut off her hand.

Early in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, "May you never bear fruit again!" Immediately the tree withered.

Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately. But all the girls who have not known man intimately, spare for yourselves.

You may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ.

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score
She lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.

When a woman has a discharge, if her discharge in her body is blood, she shall continue in her menstrual impurity for seven days; and whoever touches her shall be unclean until evening. Everything also on which she lies during her menstrual impurity shall be unclean, and everything on which she sits shall be unclean.

When men fight with one another, and the wife of the one draws near to rescue her husband from the hand of him who is beating him, and puts out her hand and seizes him by the private parts, then you shall cut off her hand.

Early in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, "May you never bear fruit again!" Immediately the tree withered.

Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately. But all the girls who have not known man intimately, spare for yourselves.

You may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ.
Nothing like a little mid-afternoon erotica!

Blizzard

Reaction score

So you run to copy and paste an article with a bunch of verses on it?

Bless your heart. :)

Blizzard

Reaction score
That sounds like an empty platitude. Do you believe God loves gay people or?
Yes, of course. I believe He sent His Own Son to die for them. What is your question then?

Nax5

Reaction score
Yes, of course. I believe He sent His Own Son to die for them. What is your question then?
Just trying to figure out where you stand. As your comments have been traditionally obfuscated or insincere. Do you believe gay people and transgender people should be afforded the same human and religious rights as everyone else? Including the right to marry before God?

Blizzard

Reaction score
Just trying to figure out where you stand. As your comments have been traditionally obfuscated or insincere. Do you believe gay people and transgender people should be afforded the same human and religious rights as everyone else? Including the right to marry before God?
Look, I know we all get into a lot of smart ass replies here. But, sincerely:

Do you believe gay people and transgender people should be afforded the same human and religious rights as everyone else?
Yes.

Including the right to marry before God?
No. We have no 'right' to do anything before God. There are churches who will do this. They are free to do so but the Bible is very clear that marriage before God is between a man and a woman.

Nax5

Reaction score
Look, I know we all get into a lot of smart ass replies here. But, sincerely:

Yes.

No. We have no 'right' to do anything before God. There are churches who will do this. They are free to do so but the Bible is very clear that marriage before God is between a man and a woman.
Okay. Thank you for the honesty.

howeda7

Reaction score

There's a great clip from the West Wing that has most of this.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
I'm not the moderator here, but the guy answered sincerely and honestly, it's time to give it a rest.

golf

Reaction score
And the ones that do still preach this have an average membership age approaching 70.
You need to do some research on this. It is actually the liberal, main line churches that are severely dropping membership. Those that literally interpret the Bible are holding their own or growing.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I just don't see how it can't be better for Christian churches to accept gays, trans, etc. people, then. Bring more people into the tent. Isn't that better?

Blizzard

Reaction score
But you'd kick them out of your church, no?
I think Christian love demands otherwise but I would likely exclude those people from serving but, again, it's hard to say if in every way. That's a fairly tough question don't you think?

FormerFatOL

Reaction score
Parts of this thread make me cringe.

Jesus surrounded himself with outcasts and deplorables; the crippled, diseased, prostitutes, tax collectors, and generally disreputable. All are welcome.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Deuteronomy 22:13-21

Marriage Violations
13 If a man takes a wife and, after sleeping with her, dislikes her14 and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying, “I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity,” 15 then the young woman’s father and mother shall bring to the town elders at the gate proof that she was a virgin. 16 Her father will say to the elders, “I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. 17 Now he has slandered her and said, ‘I did not find your daughter to be a virgin.’ But here is the proof of my daughter’s virginity.” Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, 18 and the elders shall take the man and punish him. 19 They shall fine him a hundred shekels[a] of silver and give them to the young woman’s father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives.

20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, 21 she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.

--------------------------------------------

Uhhhh... Ahem. I'm sure this is all about me not understanding the "true context", but this all seems barbaric to me.

I can't help but notice that the Abrahamic religions all strongly prefer that women be virgins. The 9/11 terrorists were supposedly thinking they'd receive a certain number of virgins in paradise, right?

Last edited:

Blizzard

Reaction score
Parts of this thread make me cringe.

Jesus surrounded himself with outcasts and deplorables; the crippled, diseased, prostitutes, tax collectors, and generally disreputable. All are welcome.

All are welcome, yes. All are saved, no.

Redeemed / Big Daddy Weave:

Blizzard

Reaction score
Deuteronomy 22:13-21

Marriage Violations
13 If a man takes a wife and, after sleeping with her, dislikes her14 and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying, “I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity,” 15 then the young woman’s father and mother shall bring to the town elders at the gate proof that she was a virgin. 16 Her father will say to the elders, “I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. 17 Now he has slandered her and said, ‘I did not find your daughter to be a virgin.’ But here is the proof of my daughter’s virginity.” Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, 18 and the elders shall take the man and punish him. 19 They shall fine him a hundred shekels[a] of silver and give them to the young woman’s father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives.

20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, 21 she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.

--------------------------------------------

Uhhhh... Ahem. I'm sure this is all about me not understanding the "true context", but this all seems barbaric to me.

I can't help but notice that the Abrahamic religions all strongly prefer that women be virgins. The 9/11 terrorists were supposedly thinking they'd receive a certain number of virgins in paradise, right?
Well, since the writings of the Bible are thousands of years old I imagine many of the practices we see would be barbaric.

As tests of virginity are still a practice in some cultures, especially those of Islam, it's a good thing that Jesus set us free from the Law that you're quoting from.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
So you believe then that they would renounce their false gods and confess Jesus Christ as Lord and believe in their hearts that he was resurrected from the dead? That sounds, to me at least, that they would be supportive of rejecting syncretism.
If syncretism is the blending of the beliefs of completely different religions, then you have incorrectly claimed in post #2 that the NCC supports syncretism.

From https://nationalcouncilofchurches.us/about-us/history/ :

The membership and scope of the National Council of Churches has evolved over the past 68 years, but the churches have remained committed to proclaiming God’s word and expressing the love of Christ for all persons at every level of society.

There is no ambiguity in that statement. And in the above link, the word syncretism cannot be found.

The rest of it? The Bible is fairly specific. One man, one woman for life. Our hearts should go out to those who struggle with sexual sin and it is far more than being gay or trans. Sexual sins have many different shapes, not just those two.
Then you say in a later post:
All are welcome, yes. All are saved, no.
So you do indeed believe that trans people are welcome in the Christian churches.

Your post #2 was talking about ordaining them as a ministers, which I can understand is a leap farther from just welcoming them into the church to participate as worshipers.

But so far, I am failing to see why their opinions about Trump's removal should be dismissed.

Top Bottom