Mullah Omar

Section2

Reaction score
Is Johana Hayes a star? I've never heard of her.

And honestly no one would even know who Omar was either if so many of you weren't so scared of muslims. This star stuff is such a joke. You are embarrassing yourself.
Right. Lots of first time members of the house of representatives make the cover of Rolling Stone and Time. Totally unremarkable.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Right. Lots of first time members of the house of representatives make the cover of Rolling Stone and Time. Totally unremarkable.
They do when the magazines are celebrating diversity genius.

Answer the question is Johana Hayes a star?

Section2

Reaction score
They do when the magazines are celebrating diversity genius.

Answer the question is Johana Hayes a star?
I've never heard of her, I would say no. Ilhan though, oooh, here's another!

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Is Lizzie Fletcher a star? I've never heard of her. But according to you every last congresswoman on a magazine cover is a star!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Section2

Reaction score
I mean, Ilhan has been on 4 magazine covers, including alone. But ok, totally not a star. Got it.

Section2

Reaction score
Is Deb Haaland a star?

I've never heard of her but according to you since she's on the cover of newsweek she is the dems new star!

https://newsmaven.io/indiancountrytoday/news/native-congresswoman-elect-deb-haaland-makes-cover-of-newsweek-rErbERqN9keb2ZHFL57Q6g/
I see your point. Being the first native is remarkable. Being the first muslim woman, sure that's remarkable. Being with Nancy Pelosi in a feature on powerful women? That's more than just diversity. I accept that you don't like Omar.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
I mean, Ilhan has been on 4 magazine covers, including alone. But ok, totally not a star. Got it.
Totally not a star. Like I said she was on the cover celebrating diversity, not her accomplishments or for the MSM to push her to leadership or something. And on top of that I totally boxed you and you are ignoring being put in that box. Just admit it and move on.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
any member of the house of reps who manages to make a mainstream magazine cover is a rising star. every. one.
Remember when you said this and I provided so many examples that proved you wrong?

Section2

Reaction score
Totally not a star. Like I said she was on the cover celebrating diversity, not her accomplishments or for the MSM to push her to leadership or something. And on top of that I totally boxed you and you are ignoring being put in that box. Just admit it and move on.
The below isn't about diversity, but yes, you have a valid point. Magazine cover alone is not proof. Ilhan has a lot more than a single cover.
I've never heard of her, I would say no. Ilhan though, oooh, here's another!

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
The below isn't about diversity, but yes, you have a valid point. Magazine cover alone is not proof. Ilhan has a lot more than a single cover.
You could just admit you said something stupid and at least pretend like you aren't a joke.

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
List some that have made MSM magazine covers from the house that are not stars.
You'll probably say that Jet and Ebony aren't "MSM magazines", but Yvonne Braithwaite Burke made the cover of both in the 1970s:

Never heard of her? Yeah, me neither. She served three terms in Congress and accomplished nothing noteworthy. She did become the first Congresswoman to give birth while in office and the first to be granted maternity leave. On the two Jet covers, she wasn't even actually a Congresswoman, just a prospective one. But according to you, she's a star!

Section2

Reaction score
You could just admit you said something stupid and at least pretend like you aren't a joke.
When I said you have a valid point, did you miss that? There is a lot more evidence behind the point that Omar is a star on the left. You wish it weren't so to your credit. But she is. Starting to dim, and will soon be in big trouble and forgotten.

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
You already knew the answer to this.
Magazines you cited, and their circulation:

Time - 2.3M
Rolling Stone - 700K
New York - 400K

Magazines I cited, and their circulation:

Ebony - 1.3M
Jet - 1.1M

So Rolling Stone and New York are "MSM magazines," but Ebony and Jet, with substantially higher circulations, are not? K.

It's almost as if you get to decide the definition and then exclude whatever you feel like in order to make your harebrained theorem factual.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
When I said you have a valid point, did you miss that? There is a lot more evidence behind the point that Omar is a star on the left. You wish it weren't so to your credit. But she is. Starting to dim, and will soon be in big trouble and forgotten.
You have provided zero evidence she is a star on the left. Like I said if she wasn't Muslim and attacked by Trump because muslims get his banana hammock in a bunch no one would know who she is. Just like all those other "stars" on magazine covers.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
She did put herself out there with the Tweets on Israel. But, to your point, would the newscycle have cared as much if she were white, secular Betty Wilson from St Louis Park, instead of black, Muslim, Illhan Omar from Cedar-Riverside Mpls, and thus not attacked by Trump?

Section2

Reaction score
Magazines you cited, and their circulation:

Time - 2.3M
Rolling Stone - 700K
New York - 400K

Magazines I cited, and their circulation:

Ebony - 1.3M
Jet - 1.1M

So Rolling Stone and New York are "MSM magazines," but Ebony and Jet, with substantially higher circulations, are not? K.

It's almost as if you get to decide the definition and then exclude whatever you feel like in order to make your harebrained theorem factual.
Interesting trick. Take the 2018 circulation of Rolling stone, vs the 2012 circulation of Jet. Jet's current circulation is zero.

It's not easy to find circulation numbers, but Time has historically been in the tens of millions. But whatever, if you feel Jet is a mainstream publication, good for you ( you really don't, you're just arguing).

Section2

Reaction score
You have provided zero evidence she is a star on the left. Like I said if she wasn't Muslim and attacked by Trump because muslims get his banana hammock in a bunch no one would know who she is. Just like all those other "stars" on magazine covers.
Appearing with Nancy Pelosi on a magazine cover of powerful women is evidence. Appearing on the cover of Time is evidence. Appearing on the Daily Show, Colbert, and Meet The Press is evidence.

Has Angie Craig done Seth Meyer and I just didn't know about it? Betty McCollum on Face the Nation?

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Appearing with Nancy Pelosi on a magazine cover of powerful women is evidence. Appearing on the cover of Time is evidence. Appearing on the Daily Show, Colbert, and Meet The Press is evidence.

Has Angie Craig done Seth Meyer and I just didn't know about it? Betty McCollum on Face the Nation?
How many of those appearances are because she provides diversity to the house or because she made history? This is a weird hole for you to continue to dig after I already made you look so foolish. But please keep digging. I understand women who are in power scare you especially ones that wear a head covering.

Section2

Reaction score
How many of those appearances are because she provides diversity to the house or because she made history? This is a weird hole for you to continue to dig after I already made you look so foolish. But please keep digging. I understand women who are in power scare you especially ones that wear a head covering.
You didn't make me look foolish. I'm arguing that she's a star on the left. A counter isn't "I'm afraid of powerful women". That's stupid. You're more likely to exhibit fear of her or women or minorities in power by trying to deny that she's a star on the left. It's not just diversity, she is outspoken and a lightning rod. If you like what she says, you love her. She has 1.6mm twitter followers. Keith Ellison is also a first, and a minority muslim, he's never been on late night, and has 350k followers. Angie Craig has 15k.

You're arguing that none of this constitutes evidence. You are completely blinded by your desire to be right. I already conceded your point that being on a magazine cover alone does not constitute being a star. Congrats, you got me. Everything else, you lose badly.

Top Bottom