MSM Has Given Up on Reporting Actual News

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
Why do news agencies do this?

I was listening to the abc news update on the radio. They announced that Smithsfield was fined by OSHA for not protecting their employees from Covid at their Sioux Falls plant. Ok that’s fine but what’s missing,the amount they were fined. It was $13,500.00 for a company worth $13 billion. why is the amount they were fined not important to the story. As much as news organizations want to decry the Fake News mantra, doing things like this bring it on themselves. Now you can argue the fine was not enough but I don’t, that’s fine. I don’t think a $13,500.00 fine will negatively affect a company worth 13 billion dollars.

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score

I was listening to the abc news update on the radio. They announced that Smithsfield was fined by OSHA for not protecting their employees from Covid at their Sioux Falls plant. Ok that’s fine but what’s missing,the amount they were fined. It was $13,500.00 for a company worth $13 billion. why is the amount they were fined not important to the story. As much as news organizations want to decry the Fake News mantra, doing things like this bring it on themselves. Now you can argue the fine was not enough but I don’t, that’s fine. I don’t think a $13,500.00 fine will negatively affect a company worth 13 billion dollars.
context matters

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score

If that was the initial fine, the amount they actually pay is probably going to be $6-$7000. My company was cited and fined for a small incident a while back that the Contractor we were working with was involved in (a safety rail not being the right height or some damn thing). Initial fine was $3,000 so I went in to discuss/contest, whatever. The guy listened to me for 6-8 minutes, bored and disinterested, and after letting me finish he offered to reduce it to $1500, I said yes and walked out. That's the game, everyone knows it

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
If that was the initial fine, the amount they actually pay is probably going to be $6-$7000. My company was cited and fined for a small incident a while back that the Contractor we were working with was involved in (a safety rail not being the right height or some damn thing). Initial fine was $3,000 so I went in to discuss/contest, whatever. The guy listened to me for 6-8 minutes, bored and disinterested, and after letting me finish he offered to reduce it to $1500, I said yes and walked out. That's the game, everyone knows it
The fact that the news story did not mention how much the fine was and when you read an article it was $13,000 was my problem. The amount they were fined is an integral part of the story, unless of course you want to spread some misinformation.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score

There it is again. The headline is meant to drive fear and panic. You read the article, which people don’t do you find they tested over 27,000 people and under 4% came back positive. Now why is that information not in the headline. These news gathering organizations just keep doing this and inviting the criticism.They can decry the fake new mantra all they want but headlines like this make it tough to see them as anything but one sided fear mongers.

1000 people test positive, positive test rate under 4%. There’s a headline that tells the whole story.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
You forgot the 8 dead. Seems sort of significant.
Fine 8 dead. Can you agree with me that the headline is terribly misleading by not presenting facts. If you want to buy the 2 negative facts in the headline why is there not room for the positive fact in the headline.

Livingat45north

Reaction score
Dershowitz is a POS. Interested to see what comes from this
I guess I wouldn't call him a Principled Objective Saint, but hey, you be you. This is going to be interesting though. Dershowitz doesn't need the cash, so unlike the lawsuit by Sandman where CNN paid Sandman in cash to make the case go away, this time they may not be able to buy there way out. If it goes to court the prosecution is going to demonstrate a continual Howie line of reporting, evincing that this isn't a one-off situation, but rather a repeated and orchestrated pattern of Howieism, with instructions to do so coming from the very top of CNN (e.g., Zucker's daily briefings on the day's talking points) versus just a few rogue employees.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score

they tested over 29,000 people and only 1,099 of them came back positive.That’s an under 4% positive test number. Which the governor and his minions told us anything under 5% was the goal. Now they are hectoring us because the total number of cases positive is too high. You can’t have it both ways.Before Labor Day was here Jan Malcolm said it would be 6-8 weeks before we knew if that had an affect on the numbers. Now she’s says labor day did have an effect on the numbers only 2 weeks after Labor Day.
Cases go up and hospitalizations go down. So my guess is a bunch of 20-30 year olds are going out and drinking on the weekend then getting tested. How many of those are false postive tests?

Wally

Reaction score

they tested over 29,000 people and only 1,099 of them came back positive.That’s an under 4% positive test number. Which the governor and his minions told us anything under 5% was the goal. Now they are hectoring us because the total number of cases positive is too high. You can’t have it both ways.Before Labor Day was here Jan Malcolm said it would be 6-8 weeks before we knew if that had an affect on the numbers. Now she’s says labor day did have an effect on the numbers only 2 weeks after Labor Day.
Cases go up and hospitalizations go down. So my guess is a bunch of 20-30 year olds are going out and drinking on the weekend then getting tested. How many of those are false postive tests?
What exactly is the problem, what essential thing is missing from your life that will bounce right back if they take away restrictions?

No matter what the state says you ain't going to the Bank to watch the Gophers this year, B1G decided it.

Spoofin

Reaction score

Don't forget % of cases they can't trace to the source. As of yesterday, that too is critically important to knowing when Walz no longer needs to tell everyone what is best for them.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
What exactly is the problem, what essential thing is missing from your life that will bounce right back if they take away restrictions?

No matter what the state says you ain't going to the Bank to watch the Gophers this year, B1G decided it.
I want honest truthful reporting not fear mongering. The star tribune is all too happy to print this story and leave out the biggest piece to the story. The percent of positive test results was below 4% which is amazing. I am tired of journalists telling me they are mistreated and accused of fake news when they run this kind of bill shit headline. In today’s society how many people actually read the story, so if you are simply reading the headline you would think we are all going to die.

mad for what is missing I don’t run a small business or a restaurant that has been great fully impacted by this. I have been employed this whole time and in fact making more money than before covid. I dont Like the government picking winners and losers which is what they did when deciding who could be open. I couldn’t go to Bills Toggery to by some pants in March where there may be 4 other people. But I could go to Walmart to buy pants where there Are hundreds of other people. What sense does that make. Not to mention him letting the candy store in Jordan open in March because it was deemed essential. I don’t like hypocrisy which is all this pandemic is brought about large government hypocrisy.

Last edited:

Wally

Reaction score
I want honest truthful reporting not fear mongering. The star tribune is all too happy to print this story and leave out the biggest piece to the story. The percent of positive test results was below 4% which is amazing. I am tired of journalists telling me they are mistreated and accused of fake news when they run this kind of bill shit headline. In today’s society how many people actually read the story, so if you are simply reading the headline you would think we are all going to die.

mad for what is missing I don’t run a small business or a restaurant that has been great fully impacted by this. I have been employed this whole time and in fact making more money than before covid. I dont Like the government picking winners and losers which is what they did when deciding who could be open. I couldn’t go to Bills Toggery to by some pants in March where there may be 4 other people. But I could go to Walmart to buy pants where there Are hundreds of other people. What sense does that make. Not to mention him letting the candy store in Jordan open in March because it was deemed essential. I don’t like hypocrisy which is all this pandemic is brought about large government hypocrisy.
I agree that allowing the big box stores open and others closed sucked. Hopefully PPP loans covered alot of their losses at that time.

Spoofin

Reaction score
I agree that allowing the big box stores open and others closed sucked. Hopefully PPP loans covered alot of their losses at that time.
Your hopeful thoughts won’t help them. PPP loans were a failure. They had so many requirements that needed to be followed that they did little to help the companies. They were about helping the employees. Actually most of what the Gov’t put in place for COVID relief was counter-productive.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Your hopeful thoughts won’t help them. PPP loans were a failure. They had so many requirements that needed to be followed that they did little to help the companies. They were about helping the employees. Actually most of what the Gov’t put in place for COVID relief was counter-productive.
I know 2 businesses in my neighborhood that received PPP loans that held them afloat until they were able to re-open. (They also received rent deferrals.). You are definitely wrong in those two cases. Both are thriving today.

Spoofin

Reaction score
I know 2 businesses in my neighborhood that received PPP loans that held them afloat until they were able to re-open. (They also received rent deferrals.). You are definitely wrong in those two cases. Both are thriving today.
And I know a case where a Company had to pay employees 2-3 times their normal wage because so much of PPP loans had to go to wages. That loan did little to help the Company thru Walz’s mandated decline.

GopherJake

Reaction score
And I know a case where a Company had to pay employees 2-3 times their normal wage because so much of PPP loans had to go to wages. That loan did little to help the Company thru Walz’s mandated decline.
I’m guessing the loan was mismanaged or your information is inaccurate.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
PPP loans were terrible from the get go. You were supposed to spend 60% of the proceeds on wages with rent, utilities, and building mortgage payments also being allowable expenses the fund could be used on. If you failed to spend 60% of the total loan on wages a portion of it will be forgivable. Spend 60% or above and it’s fully forgiven.
Also if you accepted a EIDL loan through the SBA that will also impact your forgiveness amount.

I am Sure thePPP loan helped business but with the restrictions on it the help would have been minimal. Of course you did free up money that you were going to spend on approved items so those funds could be used on non approved items.

long story short the PPP program was terribly handled from beginning and it continues to have a moving goal post for forgives applications.

Last edited:

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
My company got one and my wife's company got one; we probably didn't need it, wife's company probably didn't need it either. Sounds like we probably won't have to pay it back, a big fat wad of cash in our pockets. God bless America!!!

Wally

Reaction score
My company got one and my wife's company got one; we probably didn't need it, wife's company probably didn't need it either. Sounds like we probably won't have to pay it back, a big fat wad of cash in our pockets. God bless America!!!
Republicans love their handouts....

That said my wife got one to, nice little bonus.

GopherJake

Reaction score
My suggestion, if you feel like the program was offered to folks who didn’t actually need the help, is to listen next time when people- like me - are demanding that the program have better/appropriate eligibility rules and oversight. You are smart enough, honest enough and fair enough to call out your own. I wish you would be willing to do that overtly here more often to lead by example.

Also, I should note that I do not find it hypocritical for you to enroll in the program. It’s not your fault it was setup the way it was and I would have done the same in your position.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
My suggestion, if you feel like the program was offered to folks who didn’t actually need the help, is to listen next time when people- like me - are demanding that the program have better/appropriate eligibility rules and oversight. You are smart enough, honest enough and fair enough to call out your own. I wish you would be willing to do that overtly here more often to lead by example.

Also, I should note that I do not find it hypocritical for you to enroll in the program. It’s not your fault it was setup the way it was and I would have done the same in your position.
Dude, I know you're not this gullible. Some others, yes, they most certainly are.

Top Bottom