MSM Has Given Up on Reporting Actual News

Livingat45north

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to watch what MSM does during the rest of this election. The desperation they have in going after all things Trump is getting really entertaining to watch. For example, Chuck Todd (of NBC's "Meet the Press") blaming his show's false editing of a Barr interview on CBS. Or here's one today from CNN, where they're once again just blatantly making stuff up. https://www.theblaze.com/news/cnn-misrepresented-poll-results. I get that shows like Madow's or Hannity are not meant to be objective news, but "Meet the Press" and these articles from CNN claim to be. Of course, their ratings also reflect it. CNN used to be the most watched news cable program, now they can't even compete with the Hallmark channel for viewers.

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
This seems to be true for a bit.

Just like ESPN quit doing sports and started doing commentary.
The news channels are moreless doing news commentary.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
There is certainly a balance that has to be weighed between maintaining ratings and revenue and actually providing any accuracy to speak of. I don't envy them for having to make those decisions, it's certainly one that affects the bottom line, and at the end of the day, that's what matters most.

Section2

Reaction score
the politicization of everything. One way or another, covid and the 2020 election will be an inflection point in all these trends.

bga1

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to watch what MSM does during the rest of this election. The desperation they have in going after all things Trump is getting really entertaining to watch. For example, Chuck Todd (of NBC's "Meet the Press") blaming his show's false editing of a Barr interview on CBS. Or here's one today from CNN, where they're once again just blatantly making stuff up. https://www.theblaze.com/news/cnn-misrepresented-poll-results. I get that shows like Madow's or Hannity are not meant to be objective news, but "Meet the Press" and these articles from CNN claim to be. Of course, their ratings also reflect it. CNN used to be the most watched news cable program, now they can't even compete with the Hallmark channel for viewers.
They are in a bad, bad spot right now. The problem they have is that the investigations that are ongoing, involve them. They fully cooperated with the coup attempts. Trump must be damaged and eliminated. This is why they believe they have to lie daily. They are now part of the cover up operation.
Why do they have to avoid the real news? They are part of it.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Commentary sells.

Capitalism/profit motive dictated it.

Livingat45north

Reaction score
There is certainly a balance that has to be weighed between maintaining ratings and revenue and actually providing any accuracy to speak of. I don't envy them for having to make those decisions, it's certainly one that affects the bottom line, and at the end of the day, that's what matters most.
Why is there a "balance"? If you want to be a news channel, you maintain ratings by providing news. IMO CNN's drop in ratings is because they stopped doing that.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
The data shows the opposite. CNN's ratings have continued to plummet. IMO the reason people used to watch them was they reported news, now that they don't, the viewers have left.
Even if that's true, that's only one media company ... my comment was that commentary is the modern profitable format for all media platforms. That's as true of Rush, Alex Jones, OANN, Fox News as much as it is ESPN, etc. etc. etc.

Livingat45north

Reaction score
Even if that's true, that's only one media company ... my comment was that commentary is the modern profitable format for all media platforms. That's as true of Rush, Alex Jones, OANN, Fox News as much as it is ESPN, etc. etc. etc.
I understand what you're saying, I just don't agree with it. If you want to be a news channel, you should provide news; just like if you want to be a sports channel (e.g., ESPN), you should provide sports coverage (pretty hard to do these days of course). Whenever a broadcast firm has changed from their publicly stated goal, viewers leave. ESPN's drop (pre COVID) hasn't been as significant as CNN's, but it's still been large. IMO, do what you advertize, and do it well, and you'll get rewarded with viewers.

howeda7

Reaction score
The data shows the opposite. CNN's ratings have continued to plummet. IMO the reason people used to watch them was they reported news, now that they don't, the viewers have left.
CNN's ratings spike during actual breaking news (hurricanes, etc.) and election nights. But the rest of the time, people don't want a straight news network, unfortunately. So they try to do commentary being MSNBC-lite. It doesn't work. A few years ago, they tried to go after Fox. Didn't work either. Folks would rather watch the Sean Hannity's of the world froth at the mouth about Pizzagate and Seth Rich.

Livingat45north

Reaction score
CNN's ratings spike during actual breaking news and election nights. But the rest of the time, people don't want a straight news network, unfortunately. So they try to do commentary playing the middle beteween Fox and MSBNC. It doesn't work. Folks would rather watch the Sean Hannity's of the world froth at the mouth about Pizzagate and Seth Rich.
Curious, do you actually believe CNN's news reporting these days? I get that you may be playing a bit here. I'm talking about their news, not the evening commentary. After these past three years do you still really play along that it's a "straight news network"?

howeda7

Reaction score
Curious, do you actually believe CNN's news reporting these days? I get that you may be playing a bit here. I'm talking about their news, not the evening commentary. After these past three years do you still really play along that it's a "straight news network"?
Certainly their non-political news. As I said, if there's a hurricane or a plane crash, people turn to CNN. I get that in the era of Trump. even a hurricane can be political, but not usually. And their election coverage is pretty down the middle. That doesn't mean every story or every reporter is.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
CNN's ratings spike during actual breaking news (hurricanes, etc.) and election nights. But the rest of the time, people don't want a straight news network, unfortunately. So they try to do commentary being MSNBC-lite. It doesn't work. A few years ago, they tried to go after Fox. Didn't work either. Folks would rather watch the Sean Hannity's of the world froth at the mouth about Pizzagate and Seth Rich.
Yes, people do want ”straight news”. That just has nothing to do with CNN.

I remember when Obama was President and they became the Malaysian Air Network looking for the lost airliner. Nothing bad to report on Obama. ?

Did CNN ever find that airliner?

howeda7

Reaction score
Yes, people do want ”straight news”. That just has nothing to do with CNN.

I remember when Obama was President and they became the Malaysian Air Network looking for the lost airliner. Nothing bad to report on Obama. ?

Did CNN ever find that airliner?
I believe Aliens came and took it. Don Lemon is still investigating though. He's like Beeg on the Seth Rich case. He'll never give up.

People want straight news when something big is happening. The rest of the time they want their echo chamber. See Fox News's ratings.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
I believe Aliens came and took it. Don Lemon is still investigating though. He's like Beeg on the Seth Rich case. He'll never give up.

People want straight news when something big is happening. The rest of the time they want their echo chamber. See Fox News's ratings.
Bga isn’t high on Fox News anymore ?, so stop railing on FNC in regards to bga’s theories.

Livingat45north

Reaction score
Certainly their non-political news. As I said, if there's a hurricane or a plane crash, people turn to CNN. I get that in the era of Trump. even a hurricane can be political, but not usually. And their election coverage is pretty down the middle. That doesn't mean every story or every reporter is.
Got it, that certainly explains why you are so ignorant on so many issues. After three years of completely making up stories, you're still all in on believing CNN and all their conspiracy theories. IMO you should venture outside of your echo chamber a bit more.

howeda7

Reaction score
Got it, that certainly explains why you are so ignorant on so many issues. After three years of completely making up stories, you're still all in on believing CNN and all their conspiracy theories. IMO you should venture outside of your echo chamber a bit more.
Please. You make an awful lot of wrong assumptions about people based on things they didn't say.

I watch CNN the same amount most people do. When there's breaking news and maybe on election night. Most weeks, not at all. I couldn't tell you the last time I did. Early in the pandemic, Super Tuesday and the Kobe Bryant plane crash is all that comes to mind.

Veritas

Banned
Reaction score
Commentary sells.

Capitalism/profit motive dictated it.
So you think fake news is a function of capitalism, not communism. After the time of the Vietnam War the media collectively crossed a bridge and chose to walk away from trying to be objective while avoiding open bias. Our media is now infected with their own egos and their own agenda.

Veritas

Banned
Reaction score
Please. You make an awful lot of wrong assumptions about people based on things they didn't say.

I watch CNN the same amount most people do. When there's breaking news and maybe on election night. Most weeks, not at all. I couldn't tell you the last time I did. Early in the pandemic, Super Tuesday and the Kobe Bryant plane crash is all that comes to mind.
You are, like many people today, proud of how uninformed you are. A person who wants to be informed must read or view at least two opposing points of view on a regular bases. A half hour of something like Fox and a half hour of something from the left like the BBC or PBS. Or some other similar combination. Otherwise, you are just not well informed. But, you are not alone in your planned ignorance, it is much the norm today.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
You are, like many people today, proud of how uninformed you are. A person who wants to be informed must read or view at least two opposing points of view on a regular bases. A half hour of something like Fox and a half hour of something from the left like the BBC or PBS. Or some other similar combination. Otherwise, you are just not well informed. But, you are not alone in your planned ignorance, it is much the norm today.
Utter nonsense.

NotAFanOfBecky

Reaction score
Utter nonsense.
I think reading opposing view points is a good thing and would make one more well rounded. I think what you were commenting about was the rest of the stuff? Or you were also thinking it was nonsense because of the you don't need to look at opposing viewpoints? I'm not be facetious here.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I understand what you're saying, I just don't agree with it. If you want to be a news channel, you should provide news; just like if you want to be a sports channel (e.g., ESPN), you should provide sports coverage (pretty hard to do these days of course). Whenever a broadcast firm has changed from their publicly stated goal, viewers leave. ESPN's drop (pre COVID) hasn't been as significant as CNN's, but it's still been large. IMO, do what you advertize, and do it well, and you'll get rewarded with viewers.
So what if a channel changed from its publicly stated goal, but increased viewership?

Would you still disagree with it, or was the drop in viewership what you more cared about?

Panthadad2

Reaction score
The CNN (owned by AT&T) move to be a left-leaning mirror to FSN is a head scratching strategy. MSNBC (owned by NBC) has long owned that space and isn't moving out. Pretty much every other mainstream cable and broadcast network is at least moderately left leaning so there's no space to take market share there. They seem to have voluntarily cut half their previous potential audience - and worse really, because they won't outdo MSNBC.

Livingat45north

Reaction score
Lot's of news happening today, including CNN's new poll showing Trump leading in basically every swing state. So I headed over to their website, and highlighted at the very top of the page are CNN's top three "Trending News" stories:
Way to go CNN, always on top of the important stories of the day (BTW, see if you can find their own poll mentioned anywhere on their own website).

Livingat45north

Reaction score
Whoops, CNN asked a serious question to Clapper. That wasn't part of the plan. Check out Clapper's answer:

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
MSNBC has now interviewed Dave Portnoy. I learned that Minnesota opened for business at the end of April and we had a huge spike in cases.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Believe in the science and the scientists! Not only the line for climate change, but now the line for CV-19.

CNN‘S Anderson Cooper setting up renown scientist and HS dropout Greta Thurnberg.

Very Bidenesque Greta. Joe may want to quote you.

Livingat45north

Reaction score
This is the left that's attacking CNN's building, not Trumpsters. A big tide is turning with many of the left protesting against "white Democrat liberals" and "antifa", and maybe it starts with Minneapolis. We'll see.

Top Bottom