MN/wi Longest Continuously Played Series in Major College Football Streak to Likely Be Broken

Taji34

Reaction score
Okay. I'm not going to look it up but I assume we played during the Spanish Flu, WW1 and WW2?
We didn't play in 1916, which was during the middle of WWI, but on my quick search I couldn't find a reason for why we didn't play.

EDIT: I got the year mixed up, they didn't play in 1906, not 1916.

Last edited:

nitramnaed

Reaction score
We didn't play in 1916, which was during the middle of WWI, but on my quick search I couldn't find a reason for why we didn't play.
So consecutive isn't really consecutive?

builtbadgers

Reaction score
If the 1997 Final Four doesn't count because we did the same thing everyone else did but did a horrible job of hiding it, I don't see how this counts.

If no college football is played it's fair to ignore this season but if there is a college football season and the game isn't played, it's no longer continuously played.

If you define it as the longest continuously played conference series then it would still hold that title as there was no 2020 Big Ten season.
We did not do what everyone did. Many schools cheat. We did what some schools did.

Ope3

Reaction score
Dumb. Asterisks are even dumber. Its consecutive seasons. If they play in the spring, all possible seasons have been played since 1906.

If they play in the spring, it will still be the 2020 season. Just started late.
If somehow they can play for the Axe in the Spring of 2021, agree streak lives. The asterisk would be to explain:

- Why it happened in a different calendar year, which doesn't happen for regular season games.
- Why it took place after the presumptive BCS Playoffs
-Diferentiate it from the 2021 game, scheduled currently in Oct.

Hope the contest happens, I would love to see the game. More importantly it would indicate significant progress on the Covid front.

Maybe just saying "2020" would be enough of an asterisk but over time memories fade. Can't say I knew whole lot about the 1918-20 Spanish flu until recently. 1919 there was no Stanley Cup due to the outbreak.

RogueGopher

Reaction score
It should only become non-continuous when the two teams decide not to play eachother in a year in which both teams play a football season.

Also, does it realy matter? no.

Plato

Reaction score
We do not want to sink as low as NE whose only claim to fame presently is selling out their stadium since the last ice age.
That is false claim since unsold tickets are sold at a steep discount to a few donors so the "streak" can continue.

fmlizard

Reaction score
Applying calendar years to college sports is silly. Virtually all US schools from preK to PhD define a year from start of fall to the end of the following spring.

Classes and cohorts of players tied to each academic year have far more relevance. If the same coaches and players from this University year who would have faced each other this fall instead do so in the spring, (and then again Fall 2021) it counts and streak continues.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
It would’ve been continuously played in the spring.

But this fall works too!

Top Bottom