MN State Fair - Will It Happen?

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Honestly, the State Fair has lost a lot of its appeal for me, in large part because it is so crowded. the Last time I went, I stayed for about 4 hours and then I bolted because I could not stand fighting through mobs of people. If you want to go in the buildings and look at exhibits, you have to work your way around the nimrods who stop in the middle of the aisle to have a conversation. If you want something to eat, you have to stand in endless lines.

I could see going every 5 or 10 years just for the heck of it, but every year - no way.

In past years, I used to hit the 1st Gopher Home football game of the season, stay over, and hit the fair the next day. then I would stop at the WCCO booth to watch Sid & co. do the Sports Huddle live. But I haven't done that for quite a few years. getting too old and lazy.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Honestly, the State Fair has lost a lot of its appeal for me, in large part because it is so crowded. the Last time I went, I stayed for about 4 hours and then I bolted because I could not stand fighting through mobs of people. If you want to go in the buildings and look at exhibits, you have to work your way around the nimrods who stop in the middle of the aisle to have a conversation. If you want something to eat, you have to stand in endless lines.

I could see going every 5 or 10 years just for the heck of it, but every year - no way.

In past years, I used to hit the 1st Gopher Home football game of the season, stay over, and hit the fair the next day. then I would stop at the WCCO booth to watch Sid & co. do the Sports Huddle live. But I haven't done that for quite a few years. getting too old and lazy.
That sounds like a fun weekend.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score

I'm with you on the losing of appeal for me. But now that I have young kids, it's fun seeing them get enjoyment out of things I also enjoyed at the fair as a kid. We also usually go really early in the morning on a week day and leave in the early afternoon before it gets too busy. Best way to do it.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
I'm with you on the losing of appeal for me. But now that I have young kids, it's fun seeing them get enjoyment out of things I also enjoyed at the fair as a kid. We also usually go really early in the morning on a week day and leave in the early afternoon before it gets too busy. Best way to do it.
When it comes to me and my younger daughter, there's no moderation. We hit it early and often and come home late. When I texted her that it had been canceled, I could hear her heart break from 65 miles away. We look forward to it all year.

MennoSota

Reaction score

The only bad thing about the State Fair being shut down is that those two weeks meant other places were not busy and I could go to those other places.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
I go 3 times a year. Buy advanced discount tickets, get the blue ribbon coupon book, and discounted bus fare. Two block walk to the A line, and I get dropped at the door.

Go on a Tuesday or Thursday. Best days are with light rain early.

Make sure to check the daily schedule. Free entertainment all day if you plan it.

I can put a softball in a cream can on demand.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
I used to like to go to Mass at the fair.
That's still our routine every year. The retired priest from Corpus Christie is a real dude. Ran into him when he subbed at our church and visited with for a while afterward. A couple we know who we hadn't seen in years was there just for him. They follow him around wherever he's presiding because he's such a good guy and good preacher. They were all on their way to dinner.

Last edited:

GoodasGold

Reaction score
Sure. Go to O Garas now. It used to be St. Bernard’s. Ushers dispensation still stands, surely.

Salem Lutheran does a nice breakfast.
Is there anything inherently Swedish about egg coffee or is that just a dog whistle?

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
Wish this is how it went for us. But my wife is a fair nut and we'll spend more than 12 hours there. Muy kids can barely keep their eyes open by the end

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
Jesus wasn’t born in Norway because they couldn’t find three wise men from the East.

Top Bottom