MN State Fair - Will It Happen?

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
And - saw an article about this in the Strib. They interviewed the operator of one of the food stands. She said she begins ordering supplies in May. She said mid-July would be her key decision date, because that is when she hires staff for the Fair.
Some of these vendors earn most or all of their annual income during those 12 days.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Vendors have to pay a portion of their sales to the Fair. It's a graduated rate. The more you make the higher the percentage.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
And - saw an article about this in the Strib. They interviewed the operator of one of the food stands. She said she begins ordering supplies in May. She said mid-July would be her key decision date, because that is when she hires staff for the Fair.
The prison system also needs to make work-release decisions for the Carnies by mid-July.

Section2

Reaction score
Went looking for financial info on the fair.

From a 2018 report - Operating Revenue $127-million. Another $105-million generated from concessions, rides and games, commercial exhibits, livestock exhibitors and horse shows.

The society finances the annual production of the fair and is responsible for all capital work and maintenance of the fairgrounds, classified as state property. The fair’s income comes from ticket sales, licensing of commercial exhibit space, the rental of fair facilities for non-fair events, and other areas. Expenses include extensive services for fair guests such as Park & Ride buses, sanitation, police protection, and free stage entertainment, as well as fairgrounds operations and administration.

In addition, in a typical year, the society will invest between $6 million and $20 million in improvements and maintenance to the State Fairgrounds. The state invests nothing.

The fair employs nearly 90 year-round full-time staff members. During the summer, about 450 seasonal staff are added. More than 2,300 people are hired as fair-time staff members.
No mention of costs? 90 full time staff is a fixed cost.

Section2

Reaction score
Some of these vendors earn most or all of their annual income during those 12 days.
if we go ahead, those vendors will have to decide whether to participate or not. they won't be required to do so. having a booth at the fair is to my understanding quite the political process and windfall. some vendors may choose not to participate this year. and that opens up new vendors a chance to get in, maybe take a loss in year one as a long term investment.
So financially speaking, what's the downside to having the fair knowing less people will attend? Haven't heard a good argument. given the fixed costs of the fair, not having it at all is certainly also not "financially viable"

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
if we go ahead, those vendors will have to decide whether to participate or not. they won't be required to do so. having a booth at the fair is to my understanding quite the political process and windfall. some vendors may choose not to participate this year. and that opens up new vendors a chance to get in, maybe take a loss in year one as a long term investment.
So financially speaking, what's the downside to having the fair knowing less people will attend? Haven't heard a good argument. given the fixed costs of the fair, not having it at all is certainly also not "financially viable"
Not everything has to be an argument. I'm done with circular arguments for the day.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
No mention of costs? 90 full time staff is a fixed cost.
as I read the report, it appears to be a break-even deal. Any 'profit' goes back into the fair to pay for improvements and upkeep. So, the more profit, the more stuff they can do in the off-season. The fair board is a separate and self-sustaining operation - no state money involved.

The issue would be - if you try to have a scaled-down fair, can you collect enough revenue to cover the fixed cost?

I think it's a moot point, because one of the Fair Board honchos was quoted as saying it's all or nothing. Either a full fair with full attendance or nothing.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
State fair is cancelled.

Painful, but smart move.

Their hands were forced. No one chose for cv19 to come to MN, and our state government is doing one of the best jobs in the country dealing with it.

Section2

Reaction score
I'm not surprised, but it is another terrible decision.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
FWIW, the vote of the Fair Board was unanimous.

the General manager of the Fair said it was the right choice, given the circumstances.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
Perhaps Trump can hold a rally in August for the Fellas. Free red hats. No masks allowed. Bring your guns. Deep fried hydroxychloroquine for all.
Only fatties need apply.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Perhaps Trump can hold a rally in August for the Fellas. Free red hats. No masks allowed. Bring your guns. Deep fried hydroxychloroquine for all.
With zinc dipping sauce! Gotta have the zinc to make it block the ‘Rona, everyone knows that.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
LOL -- Renaissance Fair is something you only need to go to once every 10 years, if that. I know some people really get a kick out of dressing up every year, more power to ya.

But why do I get the feeling that they're gonna be overrun with MAGA hats this year??

Top Bottom