MN State Fair - Will It Happen?

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
This all assumes that the scale has to the same as previous years. It does not. And, all of the inputs are sitting idle right now. Hiring people would be easier.

Section2

Reaction score
I would think a lot of people need advance notice so they can plan their summer.
Food vendors, midway rides and games, businesses and non-profit organizations that have booths, etc. Not to mention all the entertainers - not just the big main-stage acts, but all of the performers for the secondary stages, etc.

Plus, the food stands - I assume - need to know whether they need to order food and hire help or not. and if someone would normally work at a food stand, but there is no State Fair, they would probably need to try and line up another job.

so for all of the people involved, I think they need to make a decision as soon as possible.
counter point:
if you were any of the above people, would you rather they cancel now and find out they didn't need to do so, or cancel when they're sure they need to and give you shorter notice.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
This all assumes that the scale has to the same as previous years. It does not. And, all of the inputs are sitting idle right now. Hiring people would be easier.
Valid points.

I wonder how the public would react to the idea of a "limited entry fair". Instead of 100k people, if only 2k were allowed to be in the grounds at a time (or some much lower number), using a "when someone leaves, the next in line can enter" type of system?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
counter point:
if you were any of the above people, would you rather they cancel now and find out they didn't need to do so, or cancel when they're sure they need to and give you shorter notice.
Only thing there is, they say nothing, you invest $50k in supplies to gear up for a "normal" fair run, then *poof* they cancel. That would leave some unhappy campers.

howeda7

Reaction score
I would think a lot of people need advance notice so they can plan their summer.
Food vendors, midway rides and games, businesses and non-profit organizations that have booths, etc. Not to mention all the entertainers - not just the big main-stage acts, but all of the performers for the secondary stages, etc.

Plus, the food stands - I assume - need to know whether they need to order food and hire help or not. and if someone would normally work at a food stand, but there is no State Fair, they would probably need to try and line up another job.

so for all of the people involved, I think they need to make a decision as soon as possible.
You're talking to someone who could fire the entire TSA and replace them all in 15 minutes though...

Cruze

Reaction score
If there is one governor in the country with the guts to cancel an event as important to the state as the Minnesota State Fair, I think it is Tim Walz. He should do it. Minnesotans don't need or want disease-laden right wing rubes from the states surrounding us (particularly Wisconsin) to contaminate our beautiful, clean, and healthy liberal and progressive state.

Iowa, Dakotas should join Minnesota in COVID-19 fight

We’re all in this together, aren’t we?

At least in the Upper Midwest, that pandemic rallying cry doesn’t quite hold true. North Dakota, South Dakota and Iowa have not yet joined the 42 other states — including Minnesota — that have mandated stay-at-home policies. (On Tuesday, Gov. Tim Walz extended Minnesota’s order to May 4.)

When asked at a news conference last week about inconsistencies between states, Walz said, “I do worry about that.” Walz, after all, didn’t issue stay-at-home orders on a county-by-county basis, but statewide. Not having border counties in compliance potentially erodes the efficacy of the order.
Leaders in Des Moines, Pierre and Bismarck should look to St. Paul for what can be accomplished with more consistent mitigation. According to data compiled by the New York Times, Minnesota has the lowest per capita number of coronavirus cases in the country, at 21 per 100,000 residents. By comparison, North Dakota has 33, Iowa has 37 and South Dakota has 45.

“What we’re doing in Minnesota has been working well,” Kris Ehresmann, infectious disease director for the Minnesota Department of Health, told an editorial writer. “We’ve got plenty of evidence to show that Minnesotans really are cooperating well, so it’s working for us, and so I think uniformity would be great and it certainly would be easier, particularly for those individuals living on the border. But we feel like we’ve done the right thing for Minnesota.”

Iowa, North Dakota and South Dakota can also do the right thing for Minnesota — and their own residents — by joining that effort.

https://www.startribune.com/iowa-dakotas-should-join-minnesota-in-covid-19-fight/569489162/

Last edited:

theczar

Reaction score
Maybe NYC should copy us worked great there...Moron

MplsGopher

Reaction score
If there is one governor in the country with the guts to cancel an event as important to the state as the Minnesota State Fair, I think it is Tim Walz. He should do it. Minnesotans don't need or want disease-laden right wing rubes from the states surrounding us (particularly Wisconsin) to contaminate our beautiful, clean, and healthy liberal and progressive state.
At least Wisconsin has a lockdown. That is (somewhat) respectable.

I say Minnesota needs to retaliate financially against the free-riders of Iowa and the Dakotas. They're cheating off the lockdowns of Minnesota (and Iowa to Wisc and Illinois).

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Here's a thought - if the typical line for Sweet Martha's cookies had to stand 6 feet apart, how long would it extend?

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
I love the fair. And I can't think of any fair food that mystifies me more than Sweet Martha's cookies. They are wonderful warm, but after a few minutes, they cool into a mound of shortening. Why anyone buys more than the smallest serving, even when sharing, is a mystery.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
I love the fair. And I can't think of any fair food that mystifies me more than Sweet Martha's cookies. They are wonderful warm, but after a few minutes, they cool into a mound of shortening. Why anyone buys more than the smallest serving, even when sharing, is a mystery.
Heart healthy. ?

Section2

Reaction score
I love sweet martha's when i buy them from the grocery store frozen, and can cook them properly. I don't like the undercooked, giant uncontrollable mound of a cone of cookies you get at the fair. I buy it, and tell them "that's enough" when it's about 2/3 full. Just for the tradition. Much better cooked at home. And their oatmeal ones are the best, which they don't offer at the fair.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
I love sweet martha's when i buy them from the grocery store frozen, and can cook them properly. I don't like the undercooked, giant uncontrollable mound of a cone of cookies you get at the fair. I buy it, and tell them "that's enough" when it's about 2/3 full. Just for the tradition. Much better cooked at home. And their oatmeal ones are the best, which they don't offer at the fair.
This x10000000000000000000000000

MplsGopher

Reaction score
https://www.startribune.com/minneso...r-now-according-to-general-manager/569889382/

"
Gov. Tim Walz calls Minnesota State Fair a 'tough lift' this year given the crowds

Gov. Tim Walz called holding the Minnesota State Fair during the coronavirus pandemic a “tough lift,” heightening concerns that the end-of-summer tradition will be canceled for only the sixth time in history.

“I wouldn’t make a definitive call, but I also don’t want to give any false hope on this. I think it will be difficult to see a State Fair operating,” Walz said in response to a question at his daily briefing Thursday.

The governor, who acknowledges he loves the fair, added that one of the greatest parts of the Great Minnesota Get-Together is being “elbow to elbow” in the crowds.

“I don’t know how you social distance in there,” he said.

Earlier Thursday, Fair General Manager Jerry Hammer said in an interview that for now the annual event is on track to open Aug. 27 and run through Labor Day as scheduled.

“We have a duty to present the fair and will continue to do so until it’s absolutely clear we can’t,” Hammer said.

A decision to cancel the fair won’t be made until it must be, he said. But he added the call would be made well before Aug. 1, though he couldn’t say whether a decision would come in May, June or July.

Hammer was firm, however, in saying that there will either be a full-on State Fair or none at all. No one is going to be scanning temperatures along with tickets at the gates, he said.

“We’re a big celebration,” Hammer said. “If the health of the people is where you need to take these extraordinary precautions, then maybe you shouldn’t be doing the event.”

No state fairs with the size and reputation of Minnesota’s have yet canceled for this summer.

"

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Where do you find the oatmeal ones?

Section2

Reaction score
It's definitely not happening.
The right thing is definitely to have it. crowds will be way down, but the safest place to be is outside. if we can't handle being outside 4 months from now, we are F*CKED

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
The right thing is definitely to have it. crowds will be way down, but the safest place to be is outside. if we can't handle being outside 4 months from now, we are F*CKED
It's not a matter of being outside. I'm outside right now.

Section2

Reaction score
It's not a matter of being outside. I'm outside right now.
heat, humidity, sunlight, fresh air. virus does not spread easily in this environment. have the fair. if you don't want to go, don't.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
heat, humidity, sunlight, fresh air. virus does not spread easily in this environment. have the fair. if you don't want to go, don't.
If not enough people go, it's not viable.

Section2

Reaction score
Viable financially for many people involved including the fair itself
Many people involved like who? What are the costs to the fair? I imagine it is a giant windfall most years with few costs. Do you mean vendors? No one is forcing them to participate.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Went looking for financial info on the fair.

From a 2018 report - Operating Revenue $127-million. Another $105-million generated from concessions, rides and games, commercial exhibits, livestock exhibitors and horse shows.

The society finances the annual production of the fair and is responsible for all capital work and maintenance of the fairgrounds, classified as state property. The fair’s income comes from ticket sales, licensing of commercial exhibit space, the rental of fair facilities for non-fair events, and other areas. Expenses include extensive services for fair guests such as Park & Ride buses, sanitation, police protection, and free stage entertainment, as well as fairgrounds operations and administration.

In addition, in a typical year, the society will invest between $6 million and $20 million in improvements and maintenance to the State Fairgrounds. The state invests nothing.

The fair employs nearly 90 year-round full-time staff members. During the summer, about 450 seasonal staff are added. More than 2,300 people are hired as fair-time staff members.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
And - saw an article about this in the Strib. They interviewed the operator of one of the food stands. She said she begins ordering supplies in May. She said mid-July would be her key decision date, because that is when she hires staff for the Fair.

Top Bottom