MN State Fair - Will It Happen?

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
The State Fair is the one, recurring event I look forward to most every year. The fishing opener is a close 2nd.

Will the Minnesota State Fair happen this year? I'd bet good money that it doesn't. Even if it does, who would actually go?

This is going to be a sad summer.

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
I'm there. If this thing ends in the next month or so, they might set a record. People these days have unbelievable short term memories.

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
I think it's way to early to think these things will get cancelled.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Man it's an interesting question. If this drags out to the state fair being cancelled does that mean NBA/NHL seasons are just cancelled? MLB and MLS seasons also? That will seriously start to affect the NFL season at that point.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I hope so. Enjoy going every year.

Last edited:

howeda7

Reaction score
Man it's an interesting question. If this drags out to the state fair being cancelled does that mean NBA/NHL seasons are just cancelled? MLB and MLS seasons also? That will seriously start to affect the NFL season at that point.
I predict the NHL will cancel. The NBA will have play-offs ~August-September and push the start of next season to January. MLB will start sometime in July. All of this may be with no fans though, including NFL.

stocker08

Reaction score
Man....five months out....that's a really good question. I'd guess no....since I doubt there will be a vaccine by then....and the virus will probably still be spreading....albeit in a much much lower volume. But if people are still carrying and spreading it....with no vaccine yet available....there won't be a state fair imo.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
I've been wondering this myself for a couple weeks. I love the fair as much as life itself, but even if it's on, I ain't going.

This is going to end up being the year that wasn't.

Cruze

Reaction score
I think it's going to be cancelled. In August, Covid-19 will probably still be raging in states that will be following the Trumpster's lead and won't be taking it as seriously as Minnesota. The State Fair draws people from all over the Midwest and beyond.

There is no way to have social distancing at any fair much less the Minnesota State Fair. It will be ridiculous for Minnesota to invite thousands of visitors from other states and Canada who might be infected and have them infect Minnesotans who by then will have spent months doing the hard work of trying to defeat the virus.

Until there is an effective vaccine developed, Covid-19 is going to be around and killing people. I heard Bill Gates say tonight there won't be a vaccine available for at least 12 months and probably longer. That's the best case scenario. Since he's probably donated hundreds of millions of dollars to many of the top scientists working on a vaccine, I am guessing he knows a lot about it.

Last edited:

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I think it's going to be cancelled. In August, Covid-19 will probably still be raging in states that will be following the Trumpster's lead and won't be taking it as seriously as Minnesota. The State Fair draws people from all over the Midwest and beyond.

There is no way to have social distancing at any fair much less the Minnesota State Fair. It will be ridiculous for Minnesota to invite thousands of visitors from other states and Canada who might be infected and have them infect Minnesotans who by then will have spent months doing the hard work of trying to defeat the virus.

Until there is an effective vaccine developed, Covid-19 is going to be around and killing people. I heard Bill Gates say tonight there won't be a vaccine available for at least 12 months and probably longer. That's the best case scenario. Since he's probably donated hundreds of millions of dollars to many of the top scientists working on a vaccine, I am guessing he knows a lot about it.
This should go in a new thread, that I plan to start eventually: what if there never is a vaccine? At least, not in the way people are thinking.

Does taking the flu vaccine once mean you’ll never get the flu again in your life?

Section2

Reaction score
It's been almost 2 weeks since this thing really exploded. I would advise everyone to slow down and take a breath. Humans tend to think current trends will continue forever. But they don't. Week by week, try not to look beyond April.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
This should go in a new thread, that I plan to start eventually: what if there never is a vaccine? At least, not in the way people are thinking.

Does taking the flu vaccine once mean you’ll never get the flu again in your life?
The hope is that the virus evolves/mutates so as not to kill as many of its human hosts, which these things often do.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
The hope is that the virus evolves/mutates so as not to kill as many of its human hosts, which these things often do.
Even if the death rate ends up being very small and/or decreases in subsequent generations, the number needing hospitalization is (and could remain?) much higher than the flu.

Not sure how much that changes things, but it must still at least be significant.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
Beyond comprehension. Perhaps these healthy young men will have to work for a living. o_O

tikited

Me
Reaction score
Beyond comprehension. Perhaps these healthy young men will have to work for a living. o_O
My dad went to grad school in NYC for a spell right before I was born. He had a story where he had his groceries bagged for him by a New York Yankee or Mets player during the off-season. I wish I remembered the name of the player. Anyways, he said it was pretty common to see pro athletes at their part time gigs.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
Bob Allison was a salesman for Coca Cola in the off season. After baseball, he became a Coke plant manager.

He also was on my favorite episode of Late Night with David Letterman, where the guests were Killebrew, Allison, and Liberace.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
Bob Allison was a salesman for Coca Cola in the off season. After baseball, he became a Coke plant manager.

He also was on my favorite episode of Late Night with David Letterman, where the guests were Killebrew, Allison, and Liberace.
Liberace couldn’t hit the long ball, but he had a Good GOB.

OldBob53

Reaction score
Yes, it will happen, but via online live videos only. There'll be a live camera in the cow barn, a live cam of cotton candy being spun, pink and blue; and live cams on all the prize pumpkins and squash and etc. in the Produce Building.

tikited

Me
Reaction score
Yes, it will happen, but via online live videos only. There'll be a live camera in the cow barn, a live cam of cotton candy being spun, pink and blue; and live cams on all the prize pumpkins and squash and etc. in the Produce Building.
Virtual corn dogs are the best.

Blizzard

Reaction score
I am hoping against hope that this will be like the Spanish Flu and will suddenly disappear. It can happen.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
Live stream fat people, or just cardboard cutouts?

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Honestly, the last time I went to the State Fair, I was questioning my decision after a couple of hours of fighting through crowds and standing in line.

If there are any covid-19 concerns by State Fair time, I don't see how they could control the crowds. How do you limit attendance to allow for 'social distancing' at an event like that?

So, my best guess is No state fair unless the experts have given the all-clear and all restrictions are lifted.

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Last time I went to state fair I was amazed by the number of idiots just blocking common walking pathways.

I haven't gone for a few years now. I miss state fair but yet I don't.

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
And State Fair hasn't been the same since they took the raceway away.

Top Bottom