MLB pulling All-Star Game from Georgia is league's most important move since Jackie Robinson

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score

LOL - that worked well for the NFL, remember?

The difference between the left is that our hopes and dreams are all about more inclusivity and progressiveness vs. more money/less taxes. Guess which side is more committed??? The lightness always defeats the darkness in the end!!

1617498240126.png

forever a gopher

Reaction score
LOL - that worked well for the NFL, remember?

The difference between the left is that our hopes and dreams are all about more inclusivity and progressiveness vs. more money/less taxes. Guess which side is more committed??? The lightness always defeats the darkness in the end!!

View attachment 12338
I have to give you credit- you made me laugh pretty good. I love the lefts definition of “inclusivity”. We’re inclusive to those that think exactly as us! You may want to check your arm- you may have pulled a muscle patting yourself on the back so hard telling everybody how virtuous you are. Because if others don’t know how virtuous you are, what’s the point?

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
I have to give you credit- you made me laugh pretty good. I love the lefts definition of “inclusivity”. We’re inclusive to those that think exactly as us! You may want to check your arm- you may have pulled a muscle patting yourself on the back so hard telling everybody how virtuous you are. Because if others don’t know how virtuous you are, what’s the point?
Thanks for the feedback.

I was aiming for the right amount of smugness and it looks like I am a winner - as usual!!

Cue Mac Davis and The Muppets -

howeda7

Reaction score
Happy Easter! though
They rigged and stole the election. We won by a landslide! - The Man Child with the World's Most Fragile Ego 150 days after the election.

cncmin

Reaction score
Tell the truth, you miss him terribly. I bet your eyes lit up like a little kid on Christmas when you saw that press release.
In the same sad way that it's impossible to turn your eyes from a horrible car wreck, he piques one's interest.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
The right and their constant cancel culture.
Their themes generally revolve around whatever they think will make their base the angriest.

Angry voters show up to the polls most consistently.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Their themes generally revolve around whatever they think will make their base the angriest.

Angry voters show up to the polls most consistently.

But the number of people who are motivated by anger, resentment, and fear is actually limited.

On the other hand, there are many people who agree with, say, the traditional Republican stances on taxes and fiscal policy, but are strongly put off by the paranoia, anger, racism, xenophobia and just plain craziness that the Trump wing displays.

When the Republican Party moved inevitably from the dog-whistling of the 70s to the brazen, un-subtle messaging of the current Q wing, I think they may have shot themselves in the foot.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
On the other hand, there are many people who agree with, say, the traditional Republican stances on taxes and fiscal policy, but are strongly put off by the paranoia, anger, racism, xenophobia and just plain craziness that the Trump wing displays.
Sure.

There is no party for those people. They have to choose from extremism or extremism. Because that's all our broken ass system can get funded, to run campaigns that have a chance to win primaries.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Sure.

There is no party for those people. They have to choose from extremism or extremism. Because that's all our broken ass system can get funded, to run campaigns that have a chance to win primaries.

This is the false 'equivalency' narrative.

Joe Biden is not an extremist. Far from it.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Thankfully.

But he's 78. He's not the future. He won't get big donors excited.

Who, exactly, are you worried about as 'extremist' on the Dems? This "each side is just as crazy" thing is ridiculous, but a lot of people seem to buy it, unfortunately.

Look at the polling for issues such as raising taxes on the wealthy, Medicare for All, gun control, raising the minimum wage, increased spending on infrastructure, legalizing marijuana, and on and on and on.

Politicians who favor those policies are certainly not 'extreme', because those policies are viewed quite favorably by a large percentage of Americans.

Unless, of course, you believe that the Americans who favor those policies are extremists as well.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Look at the polling for issues such as raising taxes on the wealthy, Medicare for All, gun control, raising the minimum wage, increased spending on infrastructure, legalizing marijuana, and on and on and on.
Those are extreme positions, to people who are moderate conservatives.

I'm only making a point that such people are forced to choose between those positions, or the positions of someone like Trump, going forward.

Relax

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Those are extreme positions, to people who are moderate conservatives.

I'm only making a point that such people are forced to choose between those positions, or the positions of someone like Trump, going forward.

Relax

I assure you I'm perfectly relaxed. I just happen to despise the "both sides are extreme" meme. It is false.

Maybe it all comes down to how we define two words: moderate and extremist.

If so-called "moderates" are truly put off by proposed legislation that is extremely popular with the general public, and see those popular proposals as "extreme", then maybe those "moderates" aren't really moderate, after all.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I just happen to despise the "both sides are extreme" meme.
Our voting methods, our primary system, and our funding mechanism are broken as hell.

They are at fault, for what we have gotten and will continue to get for candidates going forward.

If so-called "moderates" are truly put off by proposed legislation that is extremely popular, and see those proposals as "extreme", then maybe those "moderates" aren't really moderate, after all.
Probably not.

The mean relative with population most definitely shifts over time. People consider themselves entrenched over time and that what was true 10 years ago should still be true today.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Picture a bar graph.

The left side of the bar is blue, the right side red, and where blue and red meet there is a small, blended, purple section.

Let's say that the blue side is slightly wider than the red, so that the purple part is not exactly in the center, but rather slightly to the right of dead center.

That's what we have. The people in the purple section are really a bit more conservative than they are moderate, or, more properly, centrist.

Blue would dominate national politics if not for the way our government is set up, with the Senate skewing non-proportionally conservative. Add in gerrymandering, voter suppression efforts, and the archaic, clumsy Electoral College, and you have a bit of a mess — that is, it's a mess if your goal is government that is fairly representational.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Now picture that same bar.

Where on the bar would you place Joe Biden?

Where would Trump go?

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Regarding your point about Biden's age, and your worries that the Dems will skew to the extreme left after Biden.

Let's say Biden, due to his age, decides not to run again.

Do you really see the Dems nominating a true lefty?

How about the other side; will the next Republican nominee be more likely to be from the Romney wing, or the Trump wing?

howeda7

Reaction score
I assure you I'm perfectly relaxed. I just happen to despise the "both sides are extreme" meme. It is false.

Maybe it all comes down to how we define two words: moderate and extremist.

If so-called "moderates" are truly put off by proposed legislation that is extremely popular with the general public, and see those popular proposals as "extreme", then maybe those "moderates" aren't really moderate, after all.
Both parties have extremists. But the extremists already won a complete and total victory over the Republican party. It is now the party of Trumpism, Qanon and white grevience.

The moderate wing of the Democrate party crushed the liberal wing in the primary which is why Biden is President. They also control everything happening in the Senate right now.

"Both sides are the same" has never been less true.

stocker08

Reaction score
Haven't Conservatives already stopped watching the NFL, NBA, NASCAR, and anything produced by Hollywood? Pretty soon they'll have to just go to local wrestling exhibitions as all other forms of entertainment will be boycotted

Yup. Righties are trying to cancel everything that they don't like. Fortunately.....a good number of them spend most of their waking hours playing mudstick....so who cares?

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Back to the Georgia law - which is the reason why MLB is talking about moving the All-Star Game.

There is one aspect of the law that I find very problematic: it gives the State the ability to override local election offices.

Can the state take over local election offices?

Much of the work administering elections in Georgia is handled by the state's 159 counties. The law gives the State Election Board new powers to intervene in county election offices and to remove and replace local election officials. That has led to concerns that the Republican-controlled state board could exert more influence over the administration of elections, including the certification of county results.

So, potentially, if the State Election Board didn't like the results coming in from County X, the state could just kick out the local officials, take over the county office and submit whatever results they want. Anyone want to take odds on the proposition that counties tending to vote Democrat would be subject to more "scrutiny" under the new law?

golf

Reaction score
Back to the Georgia law - which is the reason why MLB is talking about moving the All-Star Game.

There is one aspect of the law that I find very problematic: it gives the State the ability to override local election offices.

Can the state take over local election offices?

Much of the work administering elections in Georgia is handled by the state's 159 counties. The law gives the State Election Board new powers to intervene in county election offices and to remove and replace local election officials. That has led to concerns that the Republican-controlled state board could exert more influence over the administration of elections, including the certification of county results.

So, potentially, if the State Election Board didn't like the results coming in from County X, the state could just kick out the local officials, take over the county office and submit whatever results they want. Anyone want to take odds on the proposition that counties tending to vote Democrat would be subject to more "scrutiny" under the new law?

Agree. This is the only part where i can see the left has some justification being miffed. But i believe there has to be irregularities in 2 consecutive elections for the state board to take action? I could be wrong about that.

I am not an expert by any means on this, but seems the reaction far exceeds the impact.

Top Bottom