Minnesota teacher: “I am a Republican and would not be nice to any refugees.”

Go4Broke

Reaction score
Lets be very clear here. This guy is saying he wouldn't be nice to 10 year-old children unless they were born in America. And to think I used to like Iron Rangers. But I guess that was before they decided it was a good idea to turn the BWCA into a copper mine.

Iron Range teacher under review after telling county he 'would not be nice to any refugees'

Amid a firestorm of rhetoric over refugee resettlement policy last week, a fifth-grade teacher on the Iron Range told St. Louis County commissioners “I am a Republican and would not be nice to any refugees.”

Chris Lysaker, who teaches at Keewatin Elementary School, wrote in an e-mail that “Rangers would be prejudice against them and would not make them feel welcome. “Bigger cities are better places for refugees. Also teachers are not trained in their language so these refugees would become problematic in the schools.”

He apologized for the comments on Tuesday after they were made public and said they were not reflective of the school district. “I apologize for the statement and didn’t mean it,” Lysaker said by phone. “I just really apologize. I’m embarrassed I said it.”

St. Louis County Commissioner Patrick Boyle, who represents the eastern part of Duluth, had flagged the comment “sent very publicly to our County Board and administration” and said in an e-mail to school officials: “I do not think his values align with how your district would treat the students of immigrants or refugees.”

Keewatin Elementary School Principal Annie Olson-Reiners told Boyle last week that “Our superintendent, Mr. Matt Grose, and I will look into this so that we can take appropriate action.”

https://www.startribune.com/iron-ra...-would-not-be-nice-to-any-refugees/570957222/

Last edited:
Top Bottom