Minnesota is Turning Red

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
I read it college and I thought it was pretty overrated at the time. It was written as an attack on authoritarian governments fueled by mass media but almost at a comic book level. I will say that its theme of shifting beliefs, values, and propaganda according to the leaders' current goals is reflective of current right wing media and the Trump party. Orwell seemed never to have contemplated the idea that mass media propaganda didn't have to be owned and controlled by the state.

I read two other novels at around the same time dealing with the subjects of authoritarian governments and how they could take root: Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler. I thought both were better than 1984, especially Darkness at Noon.
Hmmm I think you should look again at how Democratic governors and mayors, overwhelmingly supported by the liberal media and social media, have completely changed the narrative to continue to take away peoples rights, censor original thoughts, and accuse anyone who doesn't agree with them as racists, nazi's, anti-Science, ignorant, white supremacists, etc. That sounds a lot like Orwell's depiction of Stalin's Communist government in 1984.

I've yet to see Trump take away anyone's rights.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Hmmm I think you should look again at how Democratic governors and mayors, overwhelmingly supported by the liberal media and social media, have completely changed the narrative to continue to take away peoples rights, censor original thoughts, and accuse anyone who doesn't agree with them as racists, nazi's, anti-Science, ignorant, white supremacists, etc. That sounds a lot like Orwell's depiction of Stalin's Communist government in 1984.

Hogwash. Democratic governors and mayors and mainstream media aren't doing anything of the sort. There are radical leftists who support some of those things but they don't have a major hold on media or the levers of government.

Also, as I recall (it has been more than 40 years ago since I read 1984), the totalitarian government in 1984 wasn't strictly clearly based on Stalin's Soviet Union although it borrowed some attributes. One of the books I mentioned previously, Darkness at Noon, clearly was modeled on the Stalinist Soviet Union and its show trials. That's a better book. In fact, I've read that book served as an inspiration to Orwell. Maybe YOU should read that for the first time instead of telling me to reread 1984.

bga1

Reaction score
Prove it.
The hard left or radical left now owns the Democrat party. Take a look at how Washington DC votes- over 90% Dem. That's a town that is the federal government's bureaucrats and politicians. He's right.
If you want to look at the media- look at who is in management or are reporters/media personalities of the major media outlets. You would be astounded at how many are connected to the Clinton and Obama administration. Even Fox News has Biden's former chief of staff.

GSUsTALON

Reaction score
Much anger all over the place. Emotions running high, we have a president who doesn't bring people together, instead calls people names, creates fights, lies, declared bankruptcy numerous times and no bank in the US will give him a loan, chickened out on serving our country as to the military and you can go on. Much crap has happened during the past 3 1/2 years to tear our country apart. Our country will be destroyed if Trump gets reelected.

Look at what Biden can do, don't look at what has happened completely in our cities. Biden didn't have anything to do with that.

You mean like the curticy you showd me on the Gopher Football bard by posting trash so I would respond negativly about the Gopher Football team after I congradulated the Gopgers after the game and kept up with the Gophers the rest of the year.

Sure, you're a swell guy.

It's not communism that you first have to worry about at this time. It is far Left Socilism ousting capitalism. Destory the US economy then prommis the people that communism will give everyone an = chance to be poor and feed their family.

Last edited:

cjbfbp

Reaction score
The hard left or radical left now owns the Democrat party. Take a look at how Washington DC votes- over 90% Dem. That's a town that is the federal government's bureaucrats and politicians. He's right.
If you want to look at the media- look at who is in management or are reporters/media personalities of the major media outlets. You would be astounded at how many are connected to the Clinton and Obama administration. Even Fox News has Biden's former chief of staff.
The fact that the most left wing candidates couldn't get anything close to a majority in any of the last two primaries refutes your claim that the radical left "owns the Democratic party." Of course, you believe that all Democrats are far left so whomever wins will be controlled by the far left. You are wrong and you'll never convince us otherwise.

Washington DC is heavily populated by two types of demographics: African Americans and those with advanced and professional degrees. These demographics vote heavily Democratic. There was a time that the GOP appealed to African Americans and the highly educated but they've alienated both of them. Notice that all of the biggest dolts and goons on this site are Republicans. There are no barn burners, diehards, Mennosotas, or czars who post here from the left (or center). If you want to know why the highly educated find the GOP repulsive, you can just look at them and the millions like them across the country.

The mainstream media reports what is going on. None of them put words in Trump's mouth or controlled his deeds. None of them told him to sabotage the post office or cut off Congress from briefings about election security. No media personalities tell him to tell a dozen or two lies every day. The mainstream media reports the riots and the destructive activities occurring at some places across the country and that they are often accompanying protests. I don't know what else you want them to do. Perhaps if they started each article or newscast with "Once again today, Antifa terrorists accompanied by wild black people, who are enabled by Democratic politicians and funded by liberal donors, torched and terrified citizens of another city" you'd be satisfied.

Last edited:

stocker08

Reaction score
Seriously? Can you honestly turn on CNN or open the WaPo and say they aren't an active agent of the Democratic Party? Holy shit, it's laughable, and they aren't even hiding it anymore.
INFOWARS TOLD ME!!!!

stocker08

Reaction score
The fact that the most left wing candidates couldn't get anything close to a majority in any of the last two primaries refutes your claim that the radical left "owns the Democratic party." Of course, you believe that all Democrats are far left so whomever wins will be controlled by the far left. You are wrong and you'll never convince us otherwise.

Washington DC is heavily populated by two types of demographics: African Americans and those with advanced and professional degrees. These demographics vote heavily Democratic. There was a time that the GOP appealed to African Americans and the highly educated but they've alienated both of them. Notice that all of the biggest dolts and goons on this site are Republicans. There are no barn burners, diehards, Mennosotas, or czars who post here from the left (or center). If you want to know why the highly educated find the GOP repulsive, you can just look at them and the millions like them across the country.

The mainstream media reports what is going on. None of them put words in Trump's mouth or controlled his deeds. None of them told him to sabotage the post office or cut off Congress from briefings about election security. No media personalities tell him to tell a dozen or two lies every day. The mainstream media reports the riots and the destructive activities occurring at some places across the country and that they are often accompanying protests. I don't know what else you want them to do. Perhaps if they started each article or newscast with "Once again today, Antifa terrorists accompanied by wild black people, who are enabled by Democratic politicians and funded by liberal donors, torched and terrified citizens of another city" you'd be satisfied.
Face it.....the victimized right wing has gone SO far off the rails that they just throw $hit at the wall and hope it sticks. And you are dead on about the dolts and goon righties on this site. Half of them pass as satire. I think that a couple are goofing on the righties with how stupid they sound. See GSU. It's almost as if he's TRYING to misspell every other word.

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
Face it.....the victimized right wing has gone SO far off the rails that they just throw $hit at the wall and hope it sticks. And you are dead on about the dolts and goon righties on this site. Half of them pass as satire. I think that a couple are goofing on the righties with how stupid they sound. See GSU. It's almost as if he's TRYING to misspell every other word.
This might be the greatest ironic sh!t post of all time.

Stocker is mocking someone else's ability to form a complete sentence while also wondering if it is just satire.

If you are a troll, kudos. You are the Andy Kaufman of trolls.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score

You dummy, he's taken them away from many people, and he tries to cancel more people than anyone in the country.

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
Great, now you're going to make stocker google Andy Kaufman to see what the heck you're talking about.

And I was having a little play on words with "gropers". :cool:
No, I meant my post to acknowledge your joke, it was funny.

stocker08

Reaction score
This might be the greatest ironic sh!t post of all time.

Stocker is mocking someone else's ability to form a complete sentence while also wondering if it is just satire.

If you are a troll, kudos. You are the Andy Kaufman of trolls.
Sad. I've clearly hurt your feelings, because you are now hanging off my nutsack.

And it's okay that you defend bigoted hate groups. You are not the only one. Lots of your fellow righties do the same.

stocker08

Reaction score
Great, now you're going to make stocker google Andy Kaufman to see what the heck you're talking about.

And I was having a little play on words with "gropers". :cool:
I wasn't alive when he was around....but 'Man on the Moon' is one of my top ten-fifteen favourite movies. So yeah....that reference wasn't lost on me.

Livingat45north

Reaction score
GopherWeatherGuy said:
Hmmm I think you should look again at how Democratic governors and mayors, overwhelmingly supported by the liberal media and social media, have completely changed the narrative to continue to take away peoples rights,

Hogwash. Democratic governors and mayors and mainstream media aren't doing anything of the sort.
Nope, in CJB's view this is not happin' at all. Just what CJB's would call that pesky 1st and 2nd amendment of that bothersome rag called the Constitution where people think they should have the right to go to church or protect themselves from the mob. Just "clinging to their guns and religion", aren't they CJB.

Last edited:

Livingat45north

Reaction score
Washington DC is heavily populated by two types of demographics: African Americans and those with advanced and professional degrees. There was a time that the GOP appealed to African Americans and the highly educated but they've alienated both of them.
Wow, long time since I've seen someone as racist as you. You're right up there with Joe "Poor kids are just as bright as white kids" Biden.

diehard

Reaction score
This cbjeeb clown is just another liberal elitist racist.
He isn't an actual person. He is a sock puppet. He has claimed to be a veteran and in a VA discussion he posted "information" that is untrue that every veteran would know. Same for USAF. They are fake posters. Fake American trolls. I would think they could belong to a conservative trying to make liberal thought look bad. It is a poor election year tactic. Stop it.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Give me some examples then.
He's tried to cancel Kaepernick, Bill Maher, almost every non-right wing media talking head, Jonah Goldeberg, every Never Trumper with a voice, anyone who speaks out negatively about him.

We haven't even talked about the companies he's wants, tried, or threatened to cancel.

He tries to cancel anyone and everyone that isn't politically correct, according to Trump's version of what's correct. A manchild with daddy issues. He's the ultimate PC warrior.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
He's tried to cancel Kaepernick, Bill Maher, almost every non-right wing media talking head, Jonah Goldeberg, every Never Trumper with a voice, anyone who speaks out negatively about him.

We haven't even talked about the companies he's wants, tried, or threatened to cancel.

He tries to cancel anyone and everyone that isn't politically correct, according to Trump's version of what's correct. A manchild with daddy issues. He's the ultimate PC warrior.
How has he tried to cancel these people? By saying things on Twitter? He doesn't have any authority to 'cancel' these people who he disagrees with. He just spouts off moronic things, but they're not backed by any action.

That's way different than what Walz and Ellison have done in MN, or what other Democrat mayors and governors have done in CA, NY, MI, IL, etc. Walz/Ellison sued businesses who wanted to open, when Walz himself was the only one picking and choosing which ones were allowed. He and others continue to restrict businesses to where they are forced to shut down, then say that buildings can be replaced as rioters run amok and burn them to the ground. This is when they could operate as they choose if their business was just across one of our borders to the east or west.

Walz continues to extend his 'emergency' powers so that only he can make decisions. On top of that, he's said many times in his pressers, that if you don't agree with him, you don't believe in Science. All of those are far worse than anything Trump as actually done.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score

None of this is true. The problem is you don't understand what "cancel" means. Criticizing someone for being an idiot, or being corrupt, is not cancelling them.

Kaepernick is making a fortune off the slave trade working for Nike. Bill Maher's still making millions with his HBO show. The "non-right wing media" owes every new car & home they buy to Trump keeping their dying industry afloat. The corrupt NeoCon, corporate cronies are still making money lobbying for foreign countries & corporations. On that note, which corporations are you defending specifically? Which ones were cancelled?

Last edited:

LesBolstad

Reaction score

Haha. So you have nothing. Just more made up shit from a Loony Lefty who pretends he was once a "conservative". Very sad.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
He isn't an actual person. He is a sock puppet. He has claimed to be a veteran and in a VA discussion he posted "information" that is untrue that every veteran would know.
I never claimed to be a veteran, you dolt. I don't recall ever participating in a discussion about the VA or its services. I don't know why I would because I don't have an informed opinion on that. Perhaps you are exceptionally confused in your older age.

Last edited:

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Wow, long time since I've seen someone as racist as you. You're right up there with Joe "Poor kids are just as bright as white kids" Biden.
That's a gigantic leap in logic even for a steaming pile of human excrement like yourself. African Americans and the highly educated lean heavily towards Democrats and away from Republicans. That is a fact demonstrated over and over again by survey evidence. I'm not surprised that you would characterize that observation as "racism" because you are an exceptional combination of dishonesty, irrationality, malevolence, and shit-for-brains.

Top Bottom