Michigan Hires Juwan Howard as Next Head Basketball Coach

WindyCityGopher

Reaction score
I think this will either be spectacularly successful or spectacularly awful for Michigan. Nothing in the middle.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BballJones

Reaction score
I think this will either be spectacularly successful or spectacularly awful for Michigan. Nothing in the middle.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Can he pull recruits like Penny? Much more difficult to get into Michigan and Penny also loaded his staff with Mitchell and Miller. Shall be interesting. I still can't believe Beilein went to the Cavs.

Flash30

Reaction score
I like Howard. I think he’ll do just fine. Maybe he can convince Jalen Rose to leave ESPN and be an assistant, pull in Webber too. The fab five gave college basketball swag.

Mulligan

Reaction score
I like Howard. I think he’ll do just fine. Maybe he can convince Jalen Rose to leave ESPN and be an assistant, pull in Webber too. The fab five gave college basketball swag.
Webber in charge of keeping track of TO's?

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
I think average could take hold, which would actually be worst case scenario in Ann Arbor. I suppose it will depend on the staff he hires-this isn't Penny with the AAU background/connections, this is an NBA assistant who left Michigan 25 years ago. He also doesn't have the base like Memphis to recruit from, and he's got a behemoth in the same state to recruit against, with OSU perhaps coming out it's recent slumber. Maybe he'll have some inroads with the Chicago prep scene, which is notoriously shady (and is the territory often tread by the likes of Bill Self and John Calipari).

So. . .what if he's average and middling? Does a former legend get pushed out, to the certain media excoriation from the likes of Rose and Webber? Do they ride it out while the rest of the Big Ten, especially in Michigan's backyard, move past them? I don't think he's a Mullin or Drexler hire, but I'm skeptical about it being a slam dunk hire.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
Michigan May bring in Sir Charles Barkley as AD. Stay tuned.

LakerFan

Reaction score
Probably a paycut since the last time he was at Michigan.

builtbadgers

Reaction score
Howard made a great move by hiring Phil Martelli as a assistant today.

fmlizard

Reaction score
Howard made a great move by hiring Phil Martelli as a assistant today.
Agreed. He seems like a good dude and obviously knows basketball but he's going to need some guys who know NCAA basketball from an administrator's perspective.

Top Bottom