Memorial Day Speech. Respect for Veterans and History?

Wally

Reaction score
I read a bit about it. I don't think his intent was bad. I give the old guy a pass on this one.

STPGopher

Reaction score
I read a bit about it. I don't think his intent was bad. I give the old guy a pass on this one.
While I respect your opinion, I think that a retired Lt. Col should be allowed to speak. Giving an accurate history account isn't always well received in the south.

Not an accident

From the article:
"By
Andrea Salcedo
Image without a caption

By Andrea Salcedo
Reporter for the Morning Mix

EmailBioFollow

June 3, 2021 at 5:59 a.m. CDT

Retired Army Lt. Col. Barnard Kemter was midway through his speech at a Memorial Day ceremony in an Ohio cemetery when he started discussing the role that freed Black enslaved people played in an early event honoring Civil War dead.

Suddenly, his microphone cut off. Kemter, 77, tapped it a few times before yelling for assistance, video of the Monday event shows.
“I assumed it was a technical glitch,” Kemter, who carried on with his speech off-mic while he waited for the audio to return, told The Washington Post.
But the disruption was no glitch. One of the event’s organizers later admitted the audio had been deliberately turned down, telling the Akron Beacon Journal that Kemter’s discussion of Black history “was not relevant to our program for the day.”

“We asked him to modify his speech, and he chose not to do that,” Cindy Suchan, president of the Hudson American Legion Auxiliary, told the Beacon Journal. "

Yes Ohio is pretty much the south.

Go4Broke

Reaction score
Yes Ohio is pretty much the south.
Racism declared a public health crisis in Ohio's most populated county

Officials in Ohio have declared racism a public health crisis in the state's most populated county. Commissioners in Franklin County passed a resolution Tuesday that makes the declaration, as well as vows to support community efforts on racism and ensure that board commissioners will work under "antiracism principles."

The declaration by the commissioners, which was part of their 2019 Rise Together Blueprint for addressing poverty in Central Ohio, comes about a week after the Franklin County Board of Health passed a similar resolution. “Nothing is more important than the health and well-being of our residents,” Board of Commissioners President John O’Grady said in a statement. “Our community’s success depends on all Franklin County residents being able to share in it, but right now we have a system that is resulting in different outcomes for people based on the color of their skin. That’s not acceptable.”

“Hundreds of years of systemic racism, from slavery to segregation, redlining to Jim Crow, and discrimination in housing, finance, and education, some of which persists today, have led to predictable inequities,” Commissioner Marilyn Brown said in a statement. “We won’t solve these things overnight, but it’s important to start by recognizing them and beginning to work purposefully for change.”

https://abcnews.go.com/US/racism-de...isis-ohios-populated-county/story?id=70786062

STPGopher

Reaction score
Racism declared a public health crisis in Ohio's most populated county

Officials in Ohio have declared racism a public health crisis in the state's most populated county. Commissioners in Franklin County passed a resolution Tuesday that makes the declaration, as well as vows to support community efforts on racism and ensure that board commissioners will work under "antiracism principles."

The declaration by the commissioners, which was part of their 2019 Rise Together Blueprint for addressing poverty in Central Ohio, comes about a week after the Franklin County Board of Health passed a similar resolution. “Nothing is more important than the health and well-being of our residents,” Board of Commissioners President John O’Grady said in a statement. “Our community’s success depends on all Franklin County residents being able to share in it, but right now we have a system that is resulting in different outcomes for people based on the color of their skin. That’s not acceptable.”

“Hundreds of years of systemic racism, from slavery to segregation, redlining to Jim Crow, and discrimination in housing, finance, and education, some of which persists today, have led to predictable inequities,” Commissioner Marilyn Brown said in a statement. “We won’t solve these things overnight, but it’s important to start by recognizing them and beginning to work purposefully for change.”

https://abcnews.go.com/US/racism-de...isis-ohios-populated-county/story?id=70786062
Doesn't surprise me in the least. When your state needed an HBCU it has had issues. Ohio has two. Not to let northern states off the hook, but many did let some blacks attend.

Top Bottom