Mayo Clinic: 900 employees at the top ranked US hospital catch Covid-19 in the last two weeks

Go4Broke

Reaction score
Mayo Clinic: 900 employees at top US hospital catch Covid-19 in two weeks

At a press briefing on Tuesday, Dr Amy Williams, dean of clinical practice at the hospital, said that the vast majority of staff who were infected – 93% – were not infected at work, according to the St Paul Pioneer Press. Most of those who were infected at work contracted the virus while eating without a mask during their breaks, Williams said.

The hundreds of employees who have contracted the virus over the last two weeks make up over a third of all employees who were infected since the start of the pandemic. The hospital is experiencing a shortage of 1,000 employees at its headquarters in Rochester, according to the Pioneer Press.

“It shows you how easy it is to get Covid-19 in the midwest,” Williams said during a press call. “Our staff are being infected mostly due to community spread, and this impacts our ability to care for patients.”

The hospital did not say whether any of those infected had died from the virus. Lost on the Frontline, a joint effort by the Guardian and Kaiser Health News, is investigating the deaths of 1,396 healthcare workers who appear to have died of Covid-19 since the start of the pandemic.

Williams emphasized that hospitals in the midwest were “really stretched” and “many are absolutely full”. The Mayo hospital in Rochester has filled all of the 32 ICU beds it designated for Covid-19 patients. “We have 32 Covid patients needing tertiary care” – meaning sophisticated specialty care – “and that’s not good. It tells us we’re in a surge.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/18/covid-19-mayo-clinic-hospital-employees-infected

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Mayo Clinic: 900 employees at top US hospital catch Covid-19 in two weeks

At a press briefing on Tuesday, Dr Amy Williams, dean of clinical practice at the hospital, said that the vast majority of staff who were infected – 93% – were not infected at work, according to the St Paul Pioneer Press. Most of those who were infected at work contracted the virus while eating without a mask during their breaks, Williams said.

The hundreds of employees who have contracted the virus over the last two weeks make up over a third of all employees who were infected since the start of the pandemic. The hospital is experiencing a shortage of 1,000 employees at its headquarters in Rochester, according to the Pioneer Press.

“It shows you how easy it is to get Covid-19 in the midwest,” Williams said during a press call. “Our staff are being infected mostly due to community spread, and this impacts our ability to care for patients.”

The hospital did not say whether any of those infected had died from the virus. Lost on the Frontline, a joint effort by the Guardian and Kaiser Health News, is investigating the deaths of 1,396 healthcare workers who appear to have died of Covid-19 since the start of the pandemic.

Williams emphasized that hospitals in the midwest were “really stretched” and “many are absolutely full”. The Mayo hospital in Rochester has filled all of the 32 ICU beds it designated for Covid-19 patients. “We have 32 Covid patients needing tertiary care” – meaning sophisticated specialty care – “and that’s not good. It tells us we’re in a surge.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/18/covid-19-mayo-clinic-hospital-employees-infected
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

RahSkiUMah

Reaction score
This doesn't surprise me, why the laugh?

I too have my doubts about how effective masks sometimes, here's my honest, anecdotal story of why I believe masks work. My fiancé is a doctor in the emergency department at one of the largest emergency departments in WI. I just asked her how many covid positive patients she sees everyday - she said in the last few weeks about 40% of the patients she sees. I asked, "With covid or because of covid?" She said "because of, we don't really know the number with in the ED at the time."

We both give blood every 8 weeks, they started testing all blood donations for covid antibodies a couple of months ago. As of a couple weeks ago, we still both have not had covid. All patients and staff in the emergency department are wearing surgical masks, she only wears an N95 during aspirating procedures (things like putting a tube down someone's throat).

She has been in close contact with more covid+ patients in a week than you or I have probably all year...She said only 5 total out of about 50 physicians have had covid (as far as they know).

If masks do absolutely nothing, how do you explain that?

Spoofin

Reaction score

I too have my doubts about how effective masks sometimes, here's my honest, anecdotal story of why I believe masks work. My fiancé is a doctor in the emergency department at one of the largest emergency departments in WI. I just asked her how many covid positive patients she sees everyday - she said in the last few weeks about 40% of the patients she sees. I asked, "With covid or because of covid?" She said "because of, we don't really know the number with in the ED at the time."

We both give blood every 8 weeks, they started testing all blood donations for covid antibodies a couple of months ago. As of a couple weeks ago, we still both have not had covid. All patients and staff in the emergency department are wearing surgical masks, she only wears an N95 during aspirating procedures (things like putting a tube down someone's throat).

She has been in close contact with more covid+ patients in a week than you or I have probably all year...She said only 5 total out of about 50 physicians have had covid (as far as they know).

My guess is he is laughing because there is virtually no way they can know that. It is a vague ("most") statement, most likely made for impact reasons.

RahSkiUMah

Reaction score
My guess is he is laughing because there is virtually no way they can know that. It is a vague ("most") statement, most likely made for impact reasons.
It’s possible but seems like a weird thing to take a mocking stance on. If they were actually able to quantify 93% of cases were from outside work, it doesn’t seem hard to link the fact that you ate lunch in a break room with someone who later tested COVID positive and now you’re positive. I guess he only speaks in absolutes.

Wally

Reaction score
They would never say their employees got it at work if they can avoid it, you ever heard of a thing called a lawyer??

Spoofin

Reaction score
It’s possible but seems like a weird thing to take a mocking stance on. If they were actually able to quantify 93% of cases were from outside work, it doesn’t seem hard to link the fact that you ate lunch in a break room with someone who later tested COVID positive and now you’re positive. I guess he only speaks in absolutes.
I highly question that 93% number too. The idea that contract tracing definitively tells us when and where someone contracted COVID is not something I am buying. In some cases, sure - in most, it is based on assumptions and speculation.

RahSkiUMah

Reaction score
I highly question that 93% number too. The idea that contract tracing definitively tells us when and where someone contracted COVID is not something I am buying. In some cases, sure - in most, it is based on assumptions and speculation.
Sure that’s your right to question. I will point out, you want to not believe the accuracy of the 93% number, but at the same time take issue with a “vague” expression like most. Kinda seems like it doesn’t matter what was said...

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
Just remember when the meat processing plant employees were getting it and it was simply because they were simple morons not wearing masks. Now hospital employees are getting it and it’s all because people in public are not wearing masks. Nice to see the double standard in play.

Wally

Reaction score
Just remember when the meat processing plant employees were getting it and it was simply because they were simple morons not wearing masks. Now hospital employees are getting it and it’s all because people in public are not wearing masks. Nice to see the double standard in play.
The meat packers were getting it because of how they were forced to do their job, that seemed pretty universally accepted. Maybe Rightwingers and Trumpers had the take you describe.

This article said hospital workers got it from interacting with people without masks, eating lunch with coworkers ect.

Seems you read into it a bit?

Spoofin

Reaction score
Sure that’s your right to question. I will point out, you want to not believe the accuracy of the 93% number, but at the same time take issue with a “vague” expression like most. Kinda seems like it doesn’t matter what was said...
I’m not following. My point is I don’t think contact tracing is that precise. Not precise enough to say 93% got it outside of work and not precise enough to say for those that did get it at work, where/when at work they got it.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
The meat packers were getting it because of how they were forced to do their job, that seemed pretty universally accepted. Maybe Rightwingers and Trumpers had the take you describe.

This article said hospital workers got it from interacting with people without masks, eating lunch with coworkers ect.

Seems you read into it a bit?
So no meat packer ever got it from eating lunch in the break room when not wearing a mask. Seems like we are giving the hospitals a big pass for not keeping their employees safe while being very critical to the meat packers. You’re also telling me that there are not enough lunch rooms or break rooms to socially distance during lunch. That seems like it would be on the individual to be responsible, especially since the governor trotted out a nurse that hectored people for not wearing a mask.

Also whether you go it from eating lunch at work or in the ICU working with patients your still got it at work so that 93% number is absolute bull.

Wally

Reaction score
So no meat packer ever got it from eating lunch in the break room when not wearing a mask. Seems like we are giving the hospitals a big pass for not keeping their employees safe while being very critical to the meat packers. You’re also telling me that there are not enough lunch rooms or break rooms to socially distance during lunch. That seems like it would be on the individual to be responsible, especially since the governor trotted out a nurse that hectored people for not wearing a mask.

Also whether you go it from eating lunch at work or in the ICU working with patients your still got it at work so that 93% number is absolute bull.
Yes the number is bull, the hospital will never freely admit to something that opens them up to liability. Common sense.....?

stocker08

Reaction score
He's laughing because he's a deplorable idiot....like anyone else who thinks this is funny....you not Trumper you.

golf

Reaction score
Seems a stretch to me that 800+ mayo employees got CV within a two week period away from work. That number seems too large and the time period too short to make sense. Also these are people who work in the medical arena and are no doubt more likely than not to be taking precautions away from work as well. Doesnt make sense to me.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Spoof has been loud and wrong on this pandemic, almost the entire time.

If he takes a hard stance against something, rest assured that thing is probably true/correct.

jamiche

Reaction score

I have a family member who is a physician who treats and tests COVID patients every day. She basically wears an astronaut suit at work, which she hates. She gets tested every two weeks and has, thankfully, been negative so far. Outside of work, she and her family don't see anyone other than a sibling. Thanksgiving travel plans were cancelled.

She's a clinician treating a mostly younger patient population. She sends many of them to the hospital and many who aren't hospitalized get quite sick for weeks and months. When she's between work and home or getting food, she wears a mask 100% of the time.

She isn't even on the front lines.

For those of you who love your freedom, you have absolutely no clue.

Wally

Reaction score
Seems a stretch to me that 800+ mayo employees got CV within a two week period away from work. That number seems too large and the time period too short to make sense. Also these are people who work in the medical arena and are no doubt more likely than not to be taking precautions away from work as well. Doesnt make sense to me.
Yes.
Would you expect the hospital to say they were infected at work, without proof and open themselves up to the liability associated with that?

Wally

Reaction score
My wife had a client in early summer who was a nurse at mayo. She asked her what she did, neurology, asked if she was worried about Covid, the nurse was like no not at all worried. Then she asked her when she would have to start seeing Covid patients, she was like nurse 30 on the list and thought she would never have to see Covid patients. Me and my wife were both like 😯😯😯

You can't underestimate how delusional people are. I am sure that nurse has had a rather rude awakening in the meantime....

Top Bottom