Mail-in ballots

justthefacts

Reaction score
You are trying to change the subject rather than admit that you’re wrong. You’re changing the point. If anything, Trump is signaling to his voters to not rely on mail ballots.
You're saying I'm wrong because you've interpreted Trump's words. There is no reason to believe that the system will be unable to handle the expected volume of mail-in vote.

If Trump is trying to signal to his supporters not to rely on mail ballots, he's doing so in a very confusing way:

Section2

Reaction score
Dude. Just stop. This tweet is not ambiguous. Trump refers to “the system” not the USPS. Tweet alleged Trump is wrong because USPS can handle the mail volume. If you could find a Trump tweet verifying your interpretation of his comments, you would have done it. I can find one verifying mine

justthefacts

Reaction score
Dude. Just stop. This tweet is not ambiguous. Trump refers to “the system” not the USPS. Tweet alleged Trump is wrong because USPS can handle the mail volume. If you could find a Trump tweet verifying your interpretation of his comments, you would have done it. I can find one verifying mine
Votes can't be counted until election day, so what is he warning against here?

What is exactly is Trump's argument any more anyway?

Mail in ballots are great!

Mail in ballots are EVIL!

Section2

Reaction score

I don’t know, but I’ll settle for you admitting that your tweet and post were misleading, and your subsequent statements were wrong. Which you won’t, but deep down you know.

LesBolstad

Reaction score
Mass ballot mailing is starting to look like a bad idea?

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
This might help cut down on the Democrats willing to cheat, but more likely make them a little more careful about how they cheat.

Florida Registered Democrat Charged After Allegedly Requesting Ballot For Dead Wife

bga1

Reaction score

You are so dishonest....

howeda7

Reaction score
This might help cut down on the Democrats willing to cheat, but more likely make them a little more careful about how they cheat.

Florida Registered Democrat Charged After Allegedly Requesting Ballot For Dead Wife

The system works! Lock him up!

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
The system works! Lock him up!
Yeah, that’s encouraging that they caught this one. Are they getting them all? If you don’t know that someone is cheating, then you wouldn’t know that they did and you wouldn’t catch them.

howeda7

Reaction score
Yeah, that’s encouraging that they caught this one. Are they getting them all? If you don’t know that someone is cheating, then you wouldn’t know that they did and you wouldn’t catch them.
Do you believe there are thousands of Floridian widows requesting ballots for their dead spouses? Do you further believe they're all democrats?

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Do you believe there are thousands of Floridian widows requesting ballots for their dead spouses? Do you further believe they're all democrats?
Nobody knows how many there are.

But I want Democrats to vote by mail as much as possible. I don’t think they’re smart enough to fill out the ballots correctly, resulting in disqualified ballots. Just don’t whine about it later.

I do think disqualified ballots will be the biggest issue after Election Day. Democrats will say they should count, but the rules say they won’t and don’t. Unless Dems keep changing the rules to make everything that is even close to a vote count, which will force the Supreme Court to intervene.

howeda7

Reaction score
Nobody knows how many there are.

But I want Democrats to vote by mail as much as possible. I don’t think they’re smart enough to fill out the ballots correctly, resulting in disqualified ballots. Just don’t whine about it later.

I do think disqualified ballots will be the biggest issue after Election Day. Democrats will say they should count, but the rules say they won’t and don’t. Unless Dems keep changing the rules to make everything that is even close to a vote count, which will force the Supreme Court to intervene.
You need to hope and pray it's close enough for a few disqualified ballots to matter.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
You need to hope and pray it's close enough for a few disqualified ballots to matter.
5-10% of mail-in ballots will be disqualified unless Dems change the rules.

Changing the rules after voting started will be deemed illegal by the SCOTUS if it comes up, especially if those rules were made by Sec. of State rather than the legislature as most state constitutions require.

diehard

Reaction score
I don’t know, but I’ll settle for you admitting that your tweet and post were misleading, and your subsequent statements were wrong. Which you won’t, but deep down you know.
If WTF is correct then Minnesaota has a different set of election laws.That could be. I've sat on the BOE an counted absentee ballots. Has anyone else?

Spoofin

Reaction score
Stage 2

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
Trump’s barrage of new claims of voter fraud have been disproved
A U.S. Postal Service worker removes mail from a drop box in San Francisco on Aug. 17. (David Paul Morris/Bloomberg News)

A U.S. Postal Service worker removes mail from a drop box in San Francisco on Aug. 17. (David Paul Morris/Bloomberg News)

By
Philip Bump
Oct. 5, 2020 at 10:16 a.m. CDT
In the last interview that President Trump gave before entering the hospital to receive treatment for covid-19, he spent far less time talking about his health than he did about what he sees as the real threat looming over the country: alleged voter fraud.

He warned his friend Sean Hannity that it could take days or weeks to know the results of the November election, which is accurate, given the need to count votes submitted by mail. Then he shifted to this purported fraud, which he seemed to imply would further muck up the works.
“There will be [fraud],” he told Hannity. “Just take a look at New York. Take a look at the ones — the ballots that were thrown into a garbage can and they all had the Trump name on it. They were military ballots that were thrown into the garbage can. The ones that were on a tray, and they were thrown into a creek or a river. It’s a terrible thing.
AD

“And if you look at Carolyn Maloney, what they did to that guy that ran against her, it's a disgrace,” he continued. “That's in New York. And that's only for a congressional race. They have no idea where the votes are, where the ballots are. This is going to be all over. This is in Virginia. This is in New Jersey. It's a very, very sad thing."
Trump’s ploy here is transparent. Allege rampant fraud, bolstering the case with whatever examples present themselves. Then use those allegations as justification to fight any effort to count ballots after Election Day, ballots which polling has repeatedly suggested will benefit his opponent. This is why Trump says flatly that there will be fraud — any insinuation that there isn’t undermines both his future and current arguments. (In North Carolina, for example, his campaign is pressuring county elections officials to ignore counting rules with the rationale that doing so protects voter intent.)
There’s another point worth making here, too: None of the claims of fraud made by Trump in the above rant is an example of fraud.
AD

“Just take a look at New York,” Trump said, an apparent reference to the primary race that Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney (D-N.Y.) won. Trump has repeatedly conflated the slow count in that race — a function of an increase in absentee ballots — as somehow indicative of fraud. He claims to be defending Suraj Patel, Maloney’s opponent, who had called for fewer disputed ballots to be discarded as the count continued. But Patel himself rejects Trump’s framing.

Later, Trump claimed that “they have no idea where the votes are, where the ballots are” in that race. That’s not true: They know where the votes are; Patel just wanted those votes to be counted despite their being rejected. They were rejected, of course, due to a process specifically meant to screen out fraud — a process which is arguably too aggressive at rejecting valid votes
Trump then talked about military ballots being thrown in a garbage can. This refers to an incident in (Trump-friendly) Luzerne County, Pa., where ballots were, in fact, discarded. After being briefed on the incident by Attorney General William P. Barr (county officials looped in the Justice Department out of an abundance of caution), Trump first revealed the incident in a radio interview.
AD

But here, too, there's no evidence of fraud, according to Pennsylvania's secretary of state.
“The investigation is still going on, but from the initial reports we’ve been given, this was a bad error,” Kathy Boockvar said. “This was not intentional fraud. So training, training, training.”
“While the actions of this individual has cast a concern, the above statement shows that the system of checks and balances set forth in Pennsylvania elections works,” Luzerne County Manager C. David Pedri said in a statement last month. “An error was made, a public servant discovered it and reported it to law enforcement at the local, State and Federal level who took over to ensure the integrity of the system in place.”

After the military ballots, Trump described as a “terrible thing” ballots that “were on a tray, and they were thrown into a creek or a river.” This is an inaccurate description of an allegation that absentee ballots in Wisconsin were found in a ditch.
AD

But that, too, is false. The mail that was discovered didn't include any ballots.
Trump revisited Maloney’s race before declaring that fraud is happening in Virginia and New Jersey. The former is apparently a reference to an effort from a nonprofit group — not the state — to provide voters with absentee ballot applications, an effort which included return envelopes addressed to the wrong government entity. We’ll note here that Trump’s initial mention of New York in his Hannity comments might have been a reference to a similar situation that affected thousands of absentee ballots sent from a third-party vendor by elections officials.

In neither case, though, is there any evidence of fraud. Nor is there any suggestion that the reported errors would facilitate any systematic effort to throw the results of the presidential race. Among other things, if Democrats are engaging in a large-scale illegal effort to throw the vote in a state Trump lost by 22 points, they're making a number of big mistakes.
AD

The New Jersey example isn't new to Trump's rhetoric. There is an active criminal investigation into potential fraudulent behavior in a relatively small local race earlier this year. A new election has been ordered.
Trump has at times gone further, though, claiming that the number of ballots that were rejected, about a fifth of those submitted by mail, are indicative of a problem. Again, though, those rejections are a manifestation of a response to potential fraud, not evidence of fraud itself.

“It was a local election in Paterson,” Gov. Phil Murphy (D) said in an interview in August. “Some guys tried to screw with the system. I view it as a really positive data point. They got caught."
In other words, Trump’s repeated fraud allegations come down to broad insinuations, unfounded allegations or questions about hundreds of votes in the race for Paterson, N.J.'s, Third Ward city council seat. To some extent, this is itself the strategy: throw out a flurry of scary-sounding claims that are only debunked later, whipping up a dust storm of uncertainty that even if proved false contributes to the sort of turmoil Trump is relying on to contest mail-in ballots.
“Hopefully, we can win by a lot,” Trump told Hannity, “because I have no doubt that they’re going to be doing a number. I have no doubt about it. And the press knows that, too. You know, they act so — so sacrosanct. They act, oh, it’s so terrible. He’s talking about our democracy. They know what’s going on. It’s really a shame."
The press does know what’s going on, and it is, in fact, a shame.

justthefacts

Reaction score
Here again is Team Trump not distinguishing between absentee ballots and universal mail in ballots. Or even between voter fraud and laziness

stocker08

Reaction score
Absentee and mail in ballots are fine. Scared Repubs are just making excuses ahead of time because they know Trump is a moron and realize that people know it.

ROFL!

howeda7

Reaction score
I wonder why Bill Barr isn't all over this one. FRAUD!

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
So we have our own little mail-in ballot dilemma in our own house, thought I'd throw it out there for some sound advice because the board has so many smart intelligent folks.

The dilemma me and Mrs Ogee are kicking around is, do we take the ballot that came in the mail for my stepson who passed away in February, 2019 and do what he most certainly would have wanted us to do which is proudly mark the ballot for President Trump and place it in the mail?

We also got a ballot in the mail for my Mom, who only passed away several months ago and again, she would have proudly voted for President Trump as well.

What do you think? It's an important election, right? I have to get those ballots mailed in, don't I?

Wally

Reaction score
So we have our own little mail-in ballot dilemma in our own house, thought I'd throw it out there for some sound advice because the board has so many smart intelligent folks.

The dilemma me and Mrs Ogee are kicking around is, do we take the ballot that came in the mail for my stepson who passed away in February, 2019 and do what he most certainly would have wanted us to do which is proudly mark the ballot for President Trump and place it in the mail?

We also got a ballot in the mail for my Mom, who only passed away several months ago and again, she would have proudly voted for President Trump as well.

What do you think? It's an important election, right? I have to get those ballots mailed in, don't I?
Do it!
Its only a felony, what could go wrong......

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score

You’re just teasing the lefties Ogee. That’s what they would do.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Attempting to own libs by trolling them using your wife’s recently deceased son as bait? Wow.

Top Bottom