Loony Leftist Policy Destroying Minneapolis

Livingat45north

Reaction score
Another Liberal "law" coming soon to a city near you. What could go wrong with this idea...

Seattle policymakers want to provide the city’s underclass with blanket immunity for misdemeanor crime.

The Seattle City Council floated legislation to provide an exemption from prosecution for misdemeanor crimes for any citizen who suffers from poverty, homelessness, addiction, or mental illness. Under the proposed ordinance, courts would have to dismiss all so-called “crimes of poverty”. In effect, the legislation would create a new class of “untouchables,” protected from consequences by the city’s powerbrokers.

The poor, in the logic of Seattle’s progressive elites, are forced to commit crimes—including violent crimes—to secure their very existence. Therefore, as society is the perpetrator of this inequality, the crimes of the poor must be forgiven. The crimes are an expression of social justice.

On a practical level this law will effectively legalize theft, assault, harassment and property destruction. Criminals must simply establish that they have an addiction, mental-health disorder, or low income in order to evade justice.

tikited

Me
Reaction score
Another Liberal "law" coming soon to a city near you. What could go wrong with this idea...

Seattle policymakers want to provide the city’s underclass with blanket immunity for misdemeanor crime.

The Seattle City Council floated legislation to provide an exemption from prosecution for misdemeanor crimes for any citizen who suffers from poverty, homelessness, addiction, or mental illness. Under the proposed ordinance, courts would have to dismiss all so-called “crimes of poverty”. In effect, the legislation would create a new class of “untouchables,” protected from consequences by the city’s powerbrokers.

The poor, in the logic of Seattle’s progressive elites, are forced to commit crimes—including violent crimes—to secure their very existence. Therefore, as society is the perpetrator of this inequality, the crimes of the poor must be forgiven. The crimes are an expression of social justice.

On a practical level this law will effectively legalize theft, assault, harassment and property destruction. Criminals must simply establish that they have an addiction, mental-health disorder, or low income in order to evade justice.
The usual suspects will think this is a smart idea. Wally for sure..

golfing18now

Reaction score
I have no sympathy for those people either. You just like to imagine that because I understand that many police are also corrupt, it means I support lawlessness. Quite contrary. I just want police held to the same standards at citizens. Kinda like how i want the President subject to those standards also. Imagine that. I'm pretty sure that's what a majority of people want.

Why are you so terrified of accountability?

Get outta here with projecting the desires of wonton violence on people who disagree with police brutality. 9 chances outta 10 that i actively intervene to assist someone being assaulted more than you ever do. You don't care about crime anyway until it affects you.
Ironic you use the word "accountability". It's the same word I have used a number of times when stating equal opportunity also requires equal accountability when I have offered my opinion on this issue. I have no problem with holding police accountable. However, I would also like there to be a little more honesty too. The cops that act as jackasses (far less than the 75% you suggest) in their job should be held accountable, let go, whatever as it erodes public trust. But 300 million plus encounters each year end professionally. Sad we have thrown an entire profession into the gutter over a handful of cases.

On accountability for citizens.....when you rationalize the problems in some of these urban areas and blame cops/oppression/racism or take it a step further as the Seattle city council apparently suggested by no longer holding people accountable for crime, you are doing exactly what you are trying to fight. You are denigrating a group of people/race/whatever by suggesting they can't do any better. How stupid is that? I have no problem trying to help people by putting a roof over their head, helping them get clean, etc. but most importantly by helping them find a job. Whatever that is. But treating people differently in an effort to "protect" them is doing the exact opposite of its intention, in my mind.

On your last paragraph....not worth commenting on.

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score
Ironic you use the word "accountability". It's the same word I have used a number of times when stating equal opportunity also requires equal accountability when I have offered my opinion on this issue. I have no problem with holding police accountable. However, I would also like there to be a little more honesty too. The cops that act as jackasses (far less than the 75% you suggest) in their job should be held accountable, let go, whatever as it erodes public trust. But 300 million plus encounters each year end professionally. Sad we have thrown an entire profession into the gutter over a handful of cases.

On accountability for citizens.....when you rationalize the problems in some of these urban areas and blame cops/oppression/racism or take it a step further as the Seattle city council apparently suggested by no longer holding people accountable for crime, you are doing exactly what you are trying to fight. You are denigrating a group of people/race/whatever by suggesting they can't do any better. How stupid is that? I have no problem trying to help people by putting a roof over their head, helping them get clean, etc. but most importantly by helping them find a job. Whatever that is. But treating people differently in an effort to "protect" them is doing the exact opposite of its intention, in my mind.

On your last paragraph....not worth commenting on.
Sad we have thrown an entire profession in the gutter over lack of adequate training, lack of accountability and foresight, and lack of general integrity and compassion.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Minneapolis is killing two birds with one stone. Smart.
Few people understand your cryptic posts, but I'll take a stab here that you're somehow accusing the city of "killing" the homeless.

Well, the extreme cold kinda does that, unlike on the West Coast. Hence why we have somewhat less of a homeless issue here. Somewhat.

But homelessness is an overall national issue, directly having to do with wealth inequality and mental health.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Out West 98.6% of cops are on the take. It's well-known.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Few people understand your cryptic posts, but I'll take a stab here that you're somehow accusing the city of "killing" the homeless.

Well, the extreme cold kinda does that, unlike on the West Coast. Hence why we have somewhat less of a homeless issue here. Somewhat.

But homelessness is an overall national issue, directly having to do with wealth inequality and mental health.
Z
Nope. Eliminating the police or hamstringing them/downsizing to an overworked skeleton crew -emboldening criminals in a positive feedback loop - eliminates the ability or necessity of arresting people for misdemeanor crime. The council will solve two problems and satisfy their constituent’s concerns.

tikited

Me
Reaction score
Please show me where they arrest and release a car jacker, thats what your implying. Prove it.
I shouldn't have to do this since it is pretty much common knowledge that catch and release is the new norm in the Twin Cities since the riots but here goes. Look at #3 on the list.

They already have the Minnesota Freedom Fund (who admittingly doesn't look at the crime just the color of the person), BLM, Joe Biden and Joe Rogan, VP Harris and many more bailing out the most violent criminals...now they have this.

Of course, the title says low level crimes. Getting a gun pointed at your head and your car taken is low level I guess now in this new Wild West World we live in.

Wally

Reaction score
I shouldn't have to do this since it is pretty much common knowledge that catch and release is the new norm
Then it should be easy to find many examples. Just want one catch and release car jacker...

Livingat45north

Reaction score
I shouldn't have to do this since it is pretty much common knowledge that catch and release is the new norm in the Twin Cities since the riots but here goes.
I'm not sure "catch and release" is the new norm for liberal cities like MSP. I think the new norm is that they don't even bother to do the "catch" part. The new norm is to just let it happen. Welcome to liberal utopia...

Livingat45north

Reaction score
Looney Left:
  • ‘Cuties’ is okay for kids but 'To Kill A Mockingbird' isn’t
  • Heroin is fine but Thanksgiving Dinner isn’t
  • Maskless riots are legal but socially distanced church services aren’t
  • Meals are safe to eat in an airplane but not at a local restaurant

scools12

Reaction score
I'm not sure "catch and release" is the new norm for liberal cities like MSP. I think the new norm is that they don't even bother to do the "catch" part. The new norm is to just let it happen. Welcome to liberal utopia...

Everyone knows without looting there can be no social justice.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Eleven of the 13 council members have already cast committee votes in favor of the largest parts of the plan, signaling that passage is likely. It would cut nearly $8 million from Mayor Jacob Frey’s $179 million policing budget and redirect it to mental health teams, violence prevention programs and other initiatives.

Minneapolis clearly has too many police officers anyway.

Wally

Reaction score
Looney Left:
  • ‘Cuties’ is okay for kids but 'To Kill A Mockingbird' isn’t
  • Heroin is fine but Thanksgiving Dinner isn’t
  • Maskless riots are legal but socially distanced church services aren’t
  • Meals are safe to eat in an airplane but not at a local restaurant
I want Trumpers to gather in mass without masks, your right these rules are stupid!!!

Livingat45north

Reaction score
Eleven of the 13 council members have already cast committee votes in favor of the largest parts of the plan, signaling that passage is likely. It would cut nearly $8 million from Mayor Jacob Frey’s $179 million policing budget and redirect it to mental health teams, violence prevention programs and other initiatives.

Minneapolis clearly has too many police officers anyway.
The 2020 budget was $186 Million, so Frey's 2021 request is down $7 million from that, so with the council's wisdom $15 million will be cut from the 2020 budget. Clearly they had way too many police officers in 2020.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score

I want to know who decides if you retreated far enough and if you tried to appease the criminal enough. I suppose a judge, so that would mean if someone breaks into your home you would automatically be charged with or at least a grand jury would be convened to see if you did the right thing. Seems like the wrong person is being punished if there is a break in.

Spoofin

Reaction score
The 2020 budget was $186 Million, so Frey's 2021 request is down $7 million from that, so with the council's wisdom $15 million will be cut from the 2020 budget. Clearly they had way too many police officers in 2020.
You likely don't need as many if your strategy is catch and release.

Section2

Reaction score
Here’s a genius idea every Democrat should be proud of.

Top Bottom