Loony Leftist Policy Destroying Minneapolis

GopherJake

Reaction score
I think you and I actually agree on something, Left-sy. The City Council needs to be thrown out on their asses. The police department needs reform, but the messaging has made things significantly worse. Combine this botched messaging and feel-good, totally ineffective platitudes of equity and fairness with catch-and-release and lackadaisical attention by police (why bother?), the tinder box is alit.

Wally

Reaction score
Yes democrats are horrible at messaging.

The police force is largely ungovernable due to the Union, funny how Conservatives never bitch about that yet they constantly bitch about the same thing in the Teachers union. Yes the reverse applies to Dems but that doesn't make either of them right.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Conservative elements in MPD and especially their union, hatched a plan to allow, and perhaps even encourage, violent crime to run amok in the city, as a strategy to combat the call for reduced policing.

Prove me wrong

golfing18now

Reaction score

The police force is largely ungovernable due to the Union, funny how Conservatives never bitch about that yet they constantly bitch about the same thing in the Teachers union. Yes the reverse applies to Dems but that doesn't make either of them right.
I'm not going to pretend to be some sort of subject matter expert on the MPD police union and haven't paid close attention to their dealings over the years. However, it would seem logical to me that police officers within the department would all benefit if they were more willing to throw bad cops out of the department. I'm not talking about the high leverage situations that hit the news where there is more at play than just a white cop shooting a black man. I'm talking about the day to day interactions from certain police officers that erode public trust.

I'm also not willing to give a pass to individuals under the flag of Black Lives Matter that have resorted to terrorizing MPLS neighborhoods. Equality in opportunity comes with equality in accountability. We need more Democratic leadership and strong black leadership to call out this activity for what it is. As @GopherJake pointed out the city council and leadership in this State bears much of the responsibility for allowing this to occur, largely unabated. In the current climate, there is no upside for a Minneapolis/Portland/Seattle/others police officer to actually do his/her job without the backing of the local leadership. Only downside.

It seems to me we are going down the wrong path on both.

stocker08

Reaction score
Good thing Minnesota as a whole has been thriving for decades under left leadership. Need to get some things under control in Minneapolis though.

gopherjay

Reaction score
Conservative elements in MPD and especially their union, hatched a plan to allow, and perhaps even encourage, violent crime to run amok in the city, as a strategy to combat the call for reduced policing.

Prove me wrong
You probably are not wrong for the most part but when the Mayor and city council do not back you when you are doing a good job, this is what you get, a group of police officers who know everything they do now will result in them being hammered and the criminals glorified.

Minneapolis is a dead city and that is sad. It is not all the fault of the police either. The residents get some blame too.

GopherJake

Reaction score

Prove me wrong
Logic fail. Impossible to prove a negative.

John Galt

Reaction score

Messaging? 😂

forever a gopher

Reaction score

Really? Why would the R’s want the police union but not others? Because they are one of every few that will support a republican running/in office? Sure, I’m sure politicians would back them if they’re getting money. To me, they are just as corrupt, useless, and fat as all the other public unions. They shouldn’t be allowed to exist. Having an entity (in this case the union) that is being funded by taxpayers, then turns around and uses those funds to support a specific political party is the definition of a conflict of interest. Especially when those elected officials are the ones negotiating with the union and determining how much compensation they’re getting. It’s just a massive circle jerk. They’re all corrupt, and the taxpayers are the ones holding the bag. The only reason the lefties don’t care is because the unions are some of the largest special interest groups and support large swaths of democratic campaign funding. The police union is no different than the others- abolish them all. Somehow the Dems now magically care about bad cops (a recent revelation), but don’t give a crap about bad teachers or DMV workers. It’s fake outrage, as it’s now in vogue to crap on this union but not the others.

Last edited:

Section2

Reaction score

Yeah, it’s just a “messaging” problem.
Get rid of all public unions. Conservatives would not be opposed.

Section2

Reaction score
I think you and I actually agree on something, Left-sy. The City Council needs to be thrown out on their asses. The police department needs reform, but the messaging has made things significantly worse. Combine this botched messaging and feel-good, totally ineffective platitudes of equity and fairness with catch-and-release and lackadaisical attention by police (why bother?), the tinder box is alit.
Enjoy those chickens!

WAGopher

Reaction score
We already knew this, but the proverbial chickens coming home to roost.

It's terrible that anyone gets attacked like this. Everyone should be safe to shop, walk and enjoy their neignborhoods without having to look over their back. Since this is an opinion piece with anecdotal information, I hope the Strib or Press will write an in depth article with facts and trends correlated with the number of police officers over time. It seems the city council is making changes without understand all of the implications, and such knowledge that a good news article can produce might help them make postitive changes without sacrificing safety for either citizens or the police and other public servants.

Wally

Reaction score
Yeah, it’s just a “messaging” problem.
Get rid of all public unions. Conservatives would not be opposed.
I support Unions, but that shouldn't mean you are immune from being fired and able to get away with anything. I am in a Union but if I suck at my job I will be let go and the Union won't do anything about it. My fellow employees would tell my employer to get rid of me.

The opposite happens in policing, its not only the Union, its also the thin blue line...

GopherJake

Reaction score
Enjoy those chickens!
Exactly what are you talking about, there, Chief? I've written the entire city council multiple e-mails demanding they change their messaging. I'm active on NextDoor, advocating for changed messaging. I sent my first e-mail to the city council on this matter the day after Lisa "Defund" Bender appeared on CNN. I was irate. I've traded a dozen e-mails with my City Council rep and let me assure you, he knows exactly where my neighbors and I stand.

So what chickens are those, @Section2? If you are going to bother to come out of your GopherJake shelter, come up with something better than that. You are such an ass that the thing that pulls you out of your cell is something you agree with me on? That's just weird.

Section2

Reaction score
I support Unions, but that shouldn't mean you are immune from being fired and able to get away with anything. I am in a Union but if I suck at my job I will be let go and the Union won't do anything about it. My fellow employees would tell my employer to get rid of me.

The opposite happens in policing, its not only the Union, its also the thin blue line...
Oh that’s precious. So you’re the hypocrite while you were calling conservatives hypocrites.
did you notice the attacks on police unions from the left lasted about a week? Democrats shut that down quickly. But it was conservatives fault according to you. A union guy. L O Fvcking L. What a joke.

Section2

Reaction score
Exactly what are you talking about, there, Chief? I've written the entire city council multiple e-mails demanding they change their messaging. I'm active on NextDoor, advocating for changed messaging. I sent my first e-mail to the city council on this matter the day after Lisa "Defund" Bender appeared on CNN. I was irate. I've traded a dozen e-mails with my City Council rep and let me assure you, he knows exactly where my neighbors and I stand.

So what chickens are those, @Section2? If you are going to bother to come out of your GopherJake shelter, come up with something better than that. You are such an ass that the thing that pulls you out of your cell is something you agree with me on? That's just weird.
I bet your next door posts are a delight!
no, I think you are right. This is a failure of marketing!! A prettier bow and this would all work perfectly. Just gotta find better slogans and words.

MennoSota

Reaction score

Can a Democrat be anti-union?

MennoSota

Reaction score

Prove me wrong
Prove your assertion correct.
Just cause you feel this way, it doesn't mean it is this way. Back up your assertion with facts.

MennoSota

Reaction score
Good thing Minnesota as a whole has been thriving for decades under left leadership. Need to get some things under control in Minneapolis though.
Thriving? Really? 50 years of democratic rule and Mpls is still racist to the core and you say it's thriving. smh

Wally

Reaction score
Can a Democrat be anti-union?
Anti lack of accountablity.
All Unions don't create that....I don't have to support everything every Union does. Do you get it? Or is that to difficult for you. I know conservatives are very bad with nuance and all.

Last edited:

Wally

Reaction score
Thriving? Really? 50 years of democratic rule and Mpls is still racist to the core and you say it's thriving. smh
I work mostly with people from outlying suburbs, Trump country, they are way way more racist than the people in my neighborhood. Nice try tho...

Maybe if you think jokes about lynching, running over black people ect are cool, then they totally aren't racist...

golfing18now

Reaction score
Anti lack of accountablity.
All Unions don't create that....I don't have to support everything every Union does. Do you get it? Or is that to difficult for you. I know conservatives are very bad with nuance and all.
Do you also believe in accountability when it comes to the perpetrators of this uptick in crime? Or is that also the fault of the police union?

stocker08

Reaction score
Minnesota is one of the overall best places to live in the country. Meanwhile....the racist red repub south is always at the bottom of rankings in most every category.

Go figure.

Top Bottom