Justin Amash expected to make a decision soon about a 3rd party presidential run

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Definitely a wild card. I will say, his anti Trump rants seemed a little too strategic to me at the time. I assumed he was laying some groundwork for 2024. It's a little off putting that it was so straight forward and obvious, and from my limited Twitter sample size, the lefties who loved that he was going after Trump feel betrayed and that he's going to cost Biden the election. I will still vote for him, because the LP needs him, but I dont' think it's all that clear cut that he's going to pull more from Trump supporters than liberals who can't stand either party's candidate. It will be hard not to pull the lever for Trump out of spite for the awful progressives on this board and the way Democrats treated Kavanaugh, but I'm thinking long term.
Is it official that he's received the Libertarian endorsement?

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
I really DON'T know what this means. Polling might shed some light on this. I do know some people personally who are conservative minded, who would not vote for Trump because he's "crazy" (in their words), and who would probably hold their nose and vote for Biden, but would now cast a vote for Amash instead. These guys can't be alone.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
It will be hard not to pull the lever for Trump out of spite for the awful progressives on this board and the way Democrats treated Kavanaugh, but I'm thinking long term.
If you live in Minnesota, our E.C. votes will be going to Biden.

So it really won't matter who you vote for. Spite away

cjbfbp

Reaction score
I really DON'T know what this means. Polling might shed some light on this. I do know some people personally who are conservative minded, who would not vote for Trump because he's "crazy" (in their words), and who would probably hold their nose and vote for Biden, but would now cast a vote for Amash instead. These guys can't be alone.
I felt that way initially when I heard he was thinking of running. He could hurt Biden as much or more than Trump.

Section2

Reaction score
Is it official that he's received the Libertarian endorsement?
No, he's running for the LP nomination. I can't imagine there's any competition, but he's definitely at odds with the current party leadership.
He's getting ratioed HARD. But check out the replies, including some blue check lunatics like Kent Eichenwald. They are all up in arms, so this isnt' the layup "hurts Trump" that the board progs think.

cncmin

Reaction score
You'll get a few left leaning voters too. But the majority will be right leaning voters. For every percentage point Amash pulls down, Trump would probably lose .3-.5%. on net to Biden. Trump would be phucked pretty quickly if Amash got any kind of support.

Trump would almost definitely lose Michigan under any scenario.
Barring unforeseeable circumstances, Trump will lose MI and PA by sound margins. WI is really his only hope. And he also has to retain all of the other states that aren't that strongly his now (FL, AZ, etc.). It'll be tough for him to do without cheating.

cncmin

Reaction score
No, he's running for the LP nomination. I can't imagine there's any competition, but he's definitely at odds with the current party leadership.
He's getting ratioed HARD. But check out the replies, including some blue check lunatics like Kent Eichenwald. They are all up in arms, so this isnt' the layup "hurts Trump" that the board progs think.

You're going full-Trumpster no matter what, even if Amash shares essentially all of your pubicly stated ideology, ain'tcha?

Despite your publicly stated ideology, you often trample all over it in your posts on this Board. I'm pretty sure Amash holds more in common with what I actually want in a politician than what you want.

Section2

Reaction score
You're going full-Trumpster no matter what, even if Amash shares essentially all of your pubicly stated ideology, ain'tcha?

Despite your publicly stated ideology, you often trample all over it in your posts on this Board. I'm pretty sure Amash holds more in common with what I actually want in a politician than what you want.
Often, still waiting for a single example.
You could not find a single policy that Amash supports that you support and I oppose. Not one. I challenge you, name it.
Amash is anti Trump, that's it. His criticisms of Trump are all ones I share. The only thing I disagree with Amash on was impeachment, but as we've found out, that position had a purpose.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Barring unforeseeable circumstances, Trump will lose MI and PA by sound margins. WI is really his only hope. And he also has to retain all of the other states that aren't that strongly his now (FL, AZ, etc.). It'll be tough for him to do without cheating.
Good to know! So we can all relax for a while then?

cncmin

Reaction score
Often, still waiting for a single example.
You could not find a single policy that Amash supports that you support and I oppose. Not one. I challenge you, name it.
Amash is anti Trump, that's it. His criticisms of Trump are all ones I share. The only thing I disagree with Amash on was impeachment, but as we've found out, that position had a purpose.
lol. You do NOT share his criticisms of Dear Leader, you boot-licker.

Section2

Reaction score
lol. You do NOT share his criticisms of Dear Leader, you boot-licker.
agree

Amash blasted the $2T bailout, as I did. He supported cash to citizens only, as I did.
Agree
agree
I could go thru his entire twitter feed. He and I are aligned 99%. Only one disagreement, not on the facts of whether Trump was wrong with respect to Ukraine, but whether it was impeachable. It wasn't close. But that was a political calculation and it worked for him. And he's a politician.

Otherwise the dude is rock solid. He's principled, he's a defender of the constitution, he's against our awful foreign wars, he's against the terrible economics we've practiced for 100 years, he's against the Fed. You have very little in common with him. You probably know almost nothing about him. You would oppose him if he won and you won't vote for him.

cncmin

Reaction score
I could go thru his entire twitter feed. He and I are aligned 99%. Only one disagreement, not on the facts of whether Trump was wrong with respect to Ukraine, but whether it was impeachable. It wasn't close. But that was a political calculation and it worked for him. And he's a politician.

Otherwise the dude is rock solid. He's principled, he's a defender of the constitution, he's against our awful foreign wars, he's against the terrible economics we've practiced for 100 years, he's against the Fed. You have very little in common with him. You probably know almost nothing about him. You would oppose him if he won and you won't vote for him.
lmao. He's actually a principled man. Principled. And honest. And has integrity. You continue to display that you know little to nothing about what I want in a politician, and as we have been through in years past, folks like you and bga and kgb have done terribly in guessing what my politics actually are. My politics are driven by truth, logic, facts, nobility and honesty; deferment to experts; not to any certain cause(s). I want people making decisions not because of money or political party, but because it's the right thing to do for Americans. I want straight-shooters, not bullshitters. It's really that simple.

And it's so very much different than what you want, which is someone who will lie straight to your face and tell you what you want to hear.

Section2

Reaction score
lmao. He's actually a principled man. Principled. And honest. And has integrity. You continue to display that you know little to nothing about what I want in a politician, and as we have been through in years past, folks like you and bga and kgb have done terribly in guessing what my politics actually are. My politics are driven by truth, logic, facts, nobility and honesty; deferment to experts; not to any certain cause(s). I want people making decisions not because of money or political party, but because it's the right thing to do for Americans. I want straight-shooters, not bullshitters. It's really that simple.

And it's so very much different than what you want, which is someone who will lie straight to your face and tell you what you want to hear.
Are you going to support Amash for president?

Section2

Reaction score

Matt Taibbi seems to have written an entire article, just for CNC. It is MUST read.

This is the best part:
"We have a lot of dumb people in this country. But the difference between the stupidities cherished by the Idiocracy set injecting fish cleaner, and the ones pushed in places like the Atlantic, is that the jackasses among the “expert” class compound their wrongness by being so sure of themselves that they force others to go along. In other words, to combat “ignorance,” the scolders create a new and more virulent species of it: exclusive ignorance, forced ignorance, ignorance with staying power. "

Section2

Reaction score
Oh my god this article is just incredible
"There’s a reason why journalists should always keep their distance from priesthoods in any field. It’s particularly in the nature of insular communities of subject matter experts to coalesce around orthodoxies that blind the very people in the loop who should be the most knowledgeable.

“Experts” get things wrong for reasons that are innocent (they’ve all been taught the same incorrect thing in school) and less so (they have a financial or professional interest in denying the truth)."

cncmin

Reaction score
Oh my god this article is just incredible
"There’s a reason why journalists should always keep their distance from priesthoods in any field. It’s particularly in the nature of insular communities of subject matter experts to coalesce around orthodoxies that blind the very people in the loop who should be the most knowledgeable.

“Experts” get things wrong for reasons that are innocent (they’ve all been taught the same incorrect thing in school) and less so (they have a financial or professional interest in denying the truth)."
S2 logic: Therefore, all experts need never be trusted and Joe Schmoe is as likely to provide expertise as an expert.
Good one.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
How old is Justin Amash?
**check Wikipedia**
40! He's got my vote!

Section2

Reaction score
S2 logic: Therefore, all experts need never be trusted and Joe Schmoe is as likely to provide expertise as an expert.
Good one.
Excellent straw man.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
Honestly though, I would give Amash a look. Though roundly ridiculed on this board for saying so, I maintain that libertarians and social democrats have a lot in common...perhaps even moreso than their own party establishment.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
He knew he couldn’t win. He wanted to take away votes from someone, and his research concluded he couldn’t even accomplish that.

Sit down

howeda7

Reaction score
Such a shame. Our resident Libertarians will now be forced to vote for Trump, which they totally don't want to do.

Section2

Reaction score
Such a shame. Our resident Libertarians will now be forced to vote for Trump, which they totally don't want to do.
Oh I’m dying to vote for Trump. I would have voted for Amash despite his many flaws because he would be by far the best candidate. But I’ve been salivating at the chance to vote for Trump so this is a bit of a relief. People like you are my main motivation for doing so. Kavanaugh sealed it.

justthefacts

Reaction score
Oh I’m dying to vote for Trump. I would have voted for Amash despite his many flaws because he would be by far the best candidate. But I’ve been salivating at the chance to vote for Trump so this is a bit of a relief. People like you are my main motivation for doing so. Kavanaugh sealed it.
Voting for President to own the libs

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I know the universe doesn't work this way. What's fair and just, usually doesn't happen.

But if there was somehow, some way, that reelecting Trump could screw over S2 a little bit ..... please let that happen, if he does get reelected.

That's what should happen to any person who votes for someone, just to make other people mad. That's what they deserve.

Not like, devestating consequences. But enough to be annoying. Enough to sting. Maybe delay retirement a couple years, if that's a thing. Something like that.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Honestly though, I would give Amash a look. Though roundly ridiculed on this board for saying so, I maintain that libertarians and social democrats have a lot in common...perhaps even moreso than their own party establishment.
You make a very good point here.

Top Bottom