Justin Amash expected to make a decision soon about a 3rd party presidential run

GopherJake

Reaction score
Amash is the exact kind of politician CRG would hate:
  • Wants lower taxes
  • Wants to protect personal privacy
  • Voted against FISA renewal
  • Wants to get out of and avoid foreign wars

There are, of course, two sides to the China story:

CRG is busy owning libs and searching Giphy.

justthefacts

Reaction score
Just happened to jump out of the Trump boat when the China tariffs were announced. Coincidence. ;)

Amash's 2017 Financial disclosures show the vast majority of his income comes from his co-ownership stake (along with his brother Jeff) in Michigan Industrial Tools, the one he references in your article. That's his family business. What he doesn't mention are MIT's Chinese companies Tekton & Dynamic Source International. Those companies have taken down their websites and/or made them member access only since this scandal broke. He appears to have shifted his ownership around as articles from 2010 show he was then co-owner of the Chinese companies as well. Any way you slice it Amash has a financial interest in killing the tariffs, only revolted against Trump once his financial position was threatened, and all the shell companies, Chinese subsidiaries and corporate restructuring doesn't make it look much better.
He was critical of Trump from the get-go:

https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/718979012148604928?s=20

Livingat45north

Reaction score
Anyone who has been paying attention to politics since the Mueller report is familiar with the name of Justin Amash. He was the GOP congressman from Michigan who was forced to leave the party after he announced his intention to vote for Trump's impeachment (and, as you'll recall, that was before the Ukraine incident).

Anyway, he is seriously considering a 3rd party run (as a Libertarian, of course) and should announce a decision soon. Hard to figure at this point who he will hurt. He is unlikely to get many votes at all from real Trumpsters due to his "treachery." Although he gained a lot of respect from many Democrats because of his principled and independent stance on the impeachment issue, his very libertarian ideals would be a non-starter for most Democratic voters and almost no real Democratic voters will vote 3rd party while Trump is on the ballot.
Curious as to why you think Libertarian means no Democrat would vote for him. A Libertarian is completely for open borders, welcoming everyone and anyone. That's a big match for Dems. Groups like Antifa, which are heavily Dems, would be a very close match to Libertarian ideals. If he ran, which I really doubt he will, I think he'd pull more from Dem voters than Republican voters.

Also, there is a movement from the Bernie Bros to try to get a 15% threshold for a 3rd party candidate. A lot of Dems are not behind Biden. If they can get to the 15% threshold, then that means next election that party will get gov't funds for the campaign, and be included in debates. I'm not saying it'll happen (it probably won't), but there's certainly more talk of a third party this year than the last go round. If Bernie wanted, he could start his own party and get to the 15% vote total. That'd be a legacy move for him. Note that he has not released his delegates.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
I've never heard of Amash until now.
+1 I had definitely heard the name, that it was noteworthy for some reason or another, but couldn't have told you anything past that. I'm sure he'll do well in Michigan, apparently.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Curious as to why you think Libertarian means no Democrat would vote for him. A Libertarian is completely for open borders, welcoming everyone and anyone. That's a big match for Dems. Groups like Antifa, which are heavily Dems, would be a very close match to Libertarian ideals. If he ran, which I really doubt he will, I think he'd pull more from Dem voters than Republican voters.

Also, there is a movement from the Bernie Bros to try to get a 15% threshold for a 3rd party candidate. A lot of Dems are not behind Biden. If they can get to the 15% threshold, then that means next election that party will get gov't funds for the campaign, and be included in debates. I'm not saying it'll happen (it probably won't), but there's certainly more talk of a third party this year than the last go round. If Bernie wanted, he could start his own party and get to the 15% vote total. That'd be a legacy move for him. Note that he has not released his delegates.
Uninformed post.

howeda7

Reaction score
15%? Be real. No 3rd party candidate is even going to break 5%.

Livingat45north

Reaction score
Uninformed post.
Brilliant insight as always Truthseeker. Glad to see you sharing your vast scrupulous knowledge with us once again. You should stick with helping Trump get re-elected, you're much better at doing that. Stick with what's working for you.

Last edited:

Livingat45north

Reaction score
15%? Be real. No 3rd party candidate is even going to break 5%.
It's happened before. Last time was 1992. Biden has such a weak appeal and Trump large negatives from the Blues, that if Sanders were to actually give it a run (which he won't, he sold out faster than toilet paper at a Cub store) I think he'd have a very real shot of getting to 15%.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Brilliant insight as always Truthseeker. Glad to see you sharing your vast scrupulous knowledge with us once again. You should stick with helping Trump get re-elected, you're much better at doing that. Stick with what's working for you.
More dumbassery.

Section2

Reaction score
Amash is awesome. I hope he does join the LP and remake it. I would absolutely vote for him.

Panthadad2

Reaction score
Amash is awesome. I hope he does join the LP and remake it. I would absolutely vote for him.
This is a side issue from the thread.. Libertarians are historically in favor of global free trade and division of labor globally. We've seen in the last few months how dangerous it can be to rely too much on other countries in the supply chain. We've also seen how shipping jobs out of the country contributes to wage inequality. How do you think that impacts the Libertarian party platform now with those emerging issues? Do you think they can continue to grow like they did four years ago?

Section2

Reaction score
This is a side issue from the thread.. Libertarians are historically in favor of global free trade and division of labor globally. We've seen in the last few months how dangerous it can be to rely too much on other countries in the supply chain. We've also seen how shipping jobs out of the country contributes to wage inequality. How do you think that impacts the Libertarian party platform now with those emerging issues? Do you think they can continue to grow like they did four years ago?
US companies moving production to China and elsewhere is a consequence of Big government in the US. Over regulation, over taxation. First goal is ALWAYS to examine what we're currently doing that is causing whatever problem we're seeing. Stop doing what's causing the problem. Instead we almost always layer on a fix, that doesn't solve the initial problem, adds more complexity and problems, etc.
The LP party is a complete joke. It's more of a leftist party than anything. They are openly hostile to people like me. There are a whole bunch of influential libertarians who've been kicking around the idea of joining and taking over the LP and I will support them if they do. You can hate Amash, but he is principled. That's what we need in government leaders.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
The GOP has become the party of Pat Buchanan. He was 28 years too early.

howeda7

Reaction score
It's happened before. Last time was 1992. Biden has such a weak appeal and Trump large negatives from the Blues, that if Sanders were to actually give it a run (which he won't, he sold out faster than toilet paper at a Cub store) I think he'd have a very real shot of getting to 15%.
Sanders possibly could have. Blooomberg possibly could have. No one else can.

No 3rd party candidate will break 5% unless Trump is so far behind that some token like Kasich runs to help R's save face. But since the Trumpsters won't believe the polls anyway, that won't happen.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
The GOP has become the party of Pat Buchanan. He was 28 years too early.
Only in terms of his hostility to immigration and his relative isolationism. I actually liked Pat. He was genial, was a good wordsmith, had a sense of humor, and usually got along well with the moderates and liberals he faced off against.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Only in terms of his hostility to immigration and his relative isolationism. I actually liked Pat. He was genial, was a good wordsmith, had a sense of humor, and usually got along well with the moderates and liberals he faced off against.
Pat was for protectionism, an imperial presidency, and much more. He's everything the party has become.

Section2

Reaction score
You mean anarcho-capitalists?
I don't object to anarcho-capitalists at all, but it's not a label I identify with. I would MUCH prefer to live in an anarcho capitalist society than a conservative or progressive one. And after examining the results and if given the choice, so would many of you.
No, the LP is currently the Democratic party but with more personal freedoms.

Minnesota

Reaction score
dear god

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I don't object to anarcho-capitalists at all, but it's not a label I identify with.
Just wondering what are some specific (high-level) things, where you do agree with some amount of government?

I would MUCH prefer to live in an anarcho capitalist society than a conservative or progressive one.
And after examining the results and if given the choice, so would many of you.
I can almost guarantee I would hate it.

What results are you imagining that would be irresistible to someone like me?

Section2

Reaction score
Amash is in. Trump is phucked.
Definitely a wild card. I will say, his anti Trump rants seemed a little too strategic to me at the time. I assumed he was laying some groundwork for 2024. It's a little off putting that it was so straight forward and obvious, and from my limited Twitter sample size, the lefties who loved that he was going after Trump feel betrayed and that he's going to cost Biden the election. I will still vote for him, because the LP needs him, but I dont' think it's all that clear cut that he's going to pull more from Trump supporters than liberals who can't stand either party's candidate. It will be hard not to pull the lever for Trump out of spite for the awful progressives on this board and the way Democrats treated Kavanaugh, but I'm thinking long term.

monk10

Golden Gopher
Reaction score
He sounds interesting. I think all politicians have to play the game, so they will always have moments where they capitalize on political opportunities.. Leadership is lacking in the current two major party options, so though he might not win, he can easily show the major weaknesses in Trump and Biden.

Top Bottom