Is Alaska doing it right? (ranked choice, top four primary)

MplsGopher

Reaction score
https://www.adn.com/politics/2020/1...hoice-voting-as-ballot-measure-2-passes-by-1/

Starting with the 2022 election, the measure will merge the state’s two primary elections into one, and the top four vote-getters regardless of political party will advance to the general election. Some states have so-called “top two” primaries. Alaska will be the only state with a “top four” primary.

In the general election, voters will be asked to rank the four candidates in order of preference. Maine already uses that system. Ranked-choice voting would apply to legislative races, and all statewide races, including governor, U.S. Senate and U.S. House. The 2024 presidential race will also be ranked-choice but is not subject to the top-four primary.

The measure does not apply to city and borough elections.

A provision intended to fight “dark money” will require greater financial disclosure by groups giving money to candidates in state legislative races and in the governor’s race.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I think I like this system, very much.

What are some of the possible downsides??

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Would anyone vehemently disagree with this system being implemented in Minnesota?

Why, if so?

Wally

Reaction score
https://www.adn.com/politics/2020/1...hoice-voting-as-ballot-measure-2-passes-by-1/

Starting with the 2022 election, the measure will merge the state’s two primary elections into one, and the top four vote-getters regardless of political party will advance to the general election. Some states have so-called “top two” primaries. Alaska will be the only state with a “top four” primary.

In the general election, voters will be asked to rank the four candidates in order of preference. Maine already uses that system. Ranked-choice voting would apply to legislative races, and all statewide races, including governor, U.S. Senate and U.S. House. The 2024 presidential race will also be ranked-choice but is not subject to the top-four primary.

The measure does not apply to city and borough elections.

A provision intended to fight “dark money” will require greater financial disclosure by groups giving money to candidates in state legislative races and in the governor’s race.
Sounds good to me. Alaska is one of the reddest states, this gives me hope.

Top Bottom