If you had to cancel only one "offensive" cartoon character in order to live, who would it be and why?

Who gets canceled?

• Speedy Gonzalez

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jabber Jaw

• El Kabong kid

• Total voters

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Yes, I wish we lived in a simpler time, but as we say on the Elite Coast, it is what is.

I'd choose Pepe - even though horny French skunks never affected how I treat women, at least I hope not. If it does, you probably have other issues which are causing that behavior. I guess Pepe, for me, is probably the worse message for the kiddos.

Personally, I liked Phoeey the best. I threw in JabberJaw cause it was silly/bad, but I included it, as it's my thread. You only get one pick and i will take other nominations as well.

atsgopher

Reaction score
Yes, I wish we lived in a simpler time, but as we say on the Elite Coast, it is what is.

I'd choose Pepe - even though horny French skunks never affected how I treat women, at least I hope not. If it does, you probably have other issues which are causing that behavior. I guess Pepe, for me, is probably the worse message for the kiddos.

Personally, I liked Phoeey the best. I threw in JabberJaw cause it was silly/bad, but I included it, as it's my thread. You only get one pick and i will take other nominations as well.
Only know Pepe. However, I thought Onewas suppossed to be disgusted by Pepe’s treatment of women; I distinctly recall making fun of people by referring to them as Pepe Le Pew - i.e. thier behaviour stinks.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
The efforts by boomers to preserve their idealized childhoods in amber are doomed. Kids don’t eschew Road Runner because it is too violent,they don’t watch it because it is one joke repeated forever.
A lot of the Looney Tunes catalog is repetitive. OK when you got 30 minutes a week on Saturday morning and nothing else was on.
Face it, you wouldn’t watch the Walton’s either. TV offers choices now.

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
The efforts by boomers to preserve their idealized childhoods in amber are doomed. Kids don’t eschew Road Runner because it is too violent,they don’t watch it because it is one joke repeated forever.
A lot of the Looney Tunes catalog is repetitive. OK when you got 30 minutes a week on Saturday morning and nothing else was on.
Face it, you wouldn’t watch the Walton’s either. TV offers choices now.
I wasn't going that deep (but social commentary is welcomed), I just saw the article on Pepe and thought it would be a fudd/light distraction for the OTB.

That's, that's, that's, that's All St. Pauli Gal.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
I was an El Kabong kid. What's not to like about a singing horse who smashes Mexicans over the head with his guitar?

I still recall the thrill of my older cousin Eric sneaking up behind me at sleepovers and yelling: "ELLLLLLLL KABOOOOOONG" just before I got knocked half unconscious from his pillow. Fun game.

el kabong.jpg

Last edited:

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
I was an El Kabong kid. What's not to like about a singing horse who smashes Mexicans over the head with his guitar?

I still recall the thrill of my older cousin Eric sneaking up behind me at sleepovers and yelling: "ELLLLLLLL KABOOOOOONG" just before I got knocked half unconscious from him pillow. Fun game.

View attachment 12354

I just check him out, had never watched him as a lad in West Central MN - I have added him, so you can honor him with a vote.

Here he is in case others missed his exploits -

https://www.facebook.com/19e26f0c-7a07-4a5c-bba9-cd6352167293

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
I just check him out, had never watched him as a lad in West Central MN - I have added him, so you can honor him with a vote.

Here he is in case others missed his exploits -

https://www.facebook.com/19e26f0c-7a07-4a5c-bba9-cd6352167293
To be fair, I'm looking to revive El Kabong, not cancel him. I think all boys should enjoy low brow cartoons from the 1970's, just as they should enjoy a concussion or two imitating Evil Kenevel jumps in an alley with no helmet.

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
To be fair, I'm looking to revive El Kabong, not cancel him. I think all boys should enjoy low brow cartoons from the 1970's, just as they should enjoy a concussion or two imitating Evil Kenevel jumps in an alley with no helmet.

Can't say I disagree with you on this take -

Three Stooges never made me want to bonk anyone on the head with a wrench except my brother and that dick deserved it and sometimes still does.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
I had never heard of Jabber jaw.

Looked it up on the internet.

According to wikipedia, this is a cartoon about a shark who plays drums for a rock band in a futuristic underwater city.

that has got to be a joke, right?

how many drugs does someone have to take to think up something that wacky?

compared to that, my buddy who used to drop shrooms and talk about Jim Morrison's poetry was sane and rational.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score

According to wikipedia, this is a cartoon about a shark who plays drums for a rock band in a futuristic underwater city.

compared to that, my buddy who used to drop shrooms and talk about Jim Morrison's poetry was sane and rational.
For some reason he spoke Rodney Dangerfield lines in a Curly Howard voice. No respect , Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score

If shrooming & enjoying Jim Morrison's poetry was a crime, I'd be doing life without parole.

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score

It was so bad it was good to a ten year like me. It only lasted one season, but some 40 years later I still remembered it.

BarnBurner

Reaction score

If you had to cancel only one "offensive" cartoon character in order to live:​

Top of the Tater dude

Gold Vision

Reaction score
I watched plenty of Looney Tunes, but I grew up on 80’s cartoons. Inspector Gadget, TMNT, all of the Disney Afternoon, Danger Mouse, Transformers and the Smurfs. I can’t think of many controversial characters from that era.

stocker08

Reaction score
I forgot all about - i'm grinning from ear to ear now - thanks.

Looks like they recycled Zorak from Space Ghost at :13 in this clip.

381e3f13068636c2bfb658ff6adba157.jpg

Top Bottom