How will the downturn in the economy impact your job?

Deleted_User

Reaction score
Hospitals have been doing this for weeks. relative had a minor procedure cancelled last week. At the time, 8 coronavirus patients were hospitalized. I think they've been preparing for an influx that never happened. I don't understand the sense in cancelling everything before the virus really hits?
If we had a perfect supply chain and on demand ventilators, sure, we would stay open for business. But, the infection rate for Covid is very high. It is dangerous for patients to be in the same wing of the hospital. Italy learned that the hard way.

mjfelton15

Reaction score
they should double the number of road construction workers. While no one is commuting GET THAT $HIT DONE!
Agreed, my brother-in-law has been itching to get back to patching too. I’m surprised they don’t have him off unemployment yet.

howeda7

Reaction score
That should fall on the drunk driver to pay for. You said:
“Hmmm, would I rather be forced to pay $30-40k out of pocket, or pay the same taxes that I already have to pay.

That’s a tough one.”

You didn’t give a scenario originally. You said you’d rather have the tax payers front a bigger chunk of the bill while you pay the same in taxes that you do now. That’s pathetic to let other people pick up your tab. Does having to pay that much suck? Yes. But why is it anyone else’s responsibility but your own?
If there's one thing drunk driver's are known for, it's making sure their insurance is up to date and having plenty of resources to pay a 40K lawsuit....

mjfelton15

Reaction score
If there's one thing drunk driver's are known for, it's making sure their insurance is up to date and having plenty of resources to pay a 40K lawsuit....
Still shouldn’t fall on tax payers that aren’t responsible for the accident, and weren’t involved in the accident. When did this become commonplace to believe it should?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
In a catastrophe such as this, there is simply nothing wrong with asking the government to pay for (via tax dollars) the cost to airlift people to less crowded hospitals.

cncmin

Reaction score
Whatever trolls the hardest. That’s the only reason he’s here. Sorry but, you guys feed him ...
I try not to put people on ignore except for the few worst a-holes around here, but at some point when people are childishly annoying like that, it's time to seriously reconsider.

mjfelton15

Reaction score
In a catastrophe such as this, there is simply nothing wrong with asking the government to pay for (via tax dollars) the cost to airlift people to less crowded hospitals.
It’s the tax payers paying. Not the government. saying it’s the government paying for the cost to airlift is incorrect, government $ = tax payer $. Got it?

GopherJake

Reaction score
they should double the number of road construction workers. While no one is commuting GET THAT $HIT DONE!
This is by far the smartest post you've ever made here. Not a lot of competition, but this thing single-handedly raised your average. Great call.

cncmin

Reaction score
It’s the tax payers paying. Not the government. saying it’s the government paying for the cost to airlift is incorrect, government $ = tax payer $. Got it?
What part of the new $2T in debt have you paid for? You and I both paid the same: nothing.

cncmin

Reaction score
The new $2T debt falls on us, does it not?
liability, a liability that you know damn well you will never pay, at this rate. The last time you repaid any national debt was ca. 1999, assuming you are old enough to have been paying taxes at that time. Since the Bush Jr./Republican Party tax cuts and spending increases of 2001, we have been in massive deficit every year since.

mjfelton15

Reaction score
liability, a liability that you know damn well you will never pay, at this rate. The last time you repaid any national debt was ca. 1999, assuming you are old enough to have been paying taxes at that time. Since the Bush Jr./Republican Party tax cuts and spending increases of 2001, we have been in massive deficit every year since.
Okay, doesn’t change how I feel at all. While the new debt might not fall on me personally, it’ll fall on my kids and grandkids

mjfelton15

Reaction score
George W. Bush and his cronies were all traitors in more ways than one. They all deserve Guantanamo Bay

cncmin

Reaction score
Okay, doesn’t change how I feel at all. While the new debt might not fall on me personally, it’ll fall on my kids and grandkids
I'm starting to realize that just isn't true. Our budget will increasingly be comprised of interest on the debt, but I think we're past the point of ever paying it off. Americans have turned to a bunch of me-me-me want-want-want whiners. Need less taxes and more given to them for free, or they just turn to the next guy who'll lower their taxes further or give them more. In the case of Republicans, BOTH.

mjfelton15

Reaction score
I'm starting to realize that just isn't true. Our budget will increasingly be comprised of interest on the debt, but I think we're past the point of ever paying it off. Americans have turned to a bunch of me-me-me want-want-want whiners. Need less taxes and more given to them for free, or they just turn to the next guy who'll lower their taxes further or give them more. In the case of Republicans, BOTH.
Haven’t really seen Republicans support handouts, only lower taxes. Dems are the ones proposing free college (tax payer funded), free health care (tax payer funded), etc. not seeing both lower taxes and handouts out of Republicans.

mjfelton15

Reaction score
What generation, would you say, started the bad trend of feeling entitled to everything?

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
When we visited Glacier National Park, we felt sorry for their plight being so far north: extremely short construction and tourism seasons, meaning you can't do work without huge impacts to visitors. I was thinking just the other day: this year, don't open the park, and throw a bunch of stimulus money at it, and get a lot of stuff done. Go!

MplsGopher

Reaction score
“via tax dollars”, as I said.

You agree then, about the surprise bills for airlifts?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Why do you want to force families to be responsible for $40k airlifts bills that they have no alternative to or even choice in declining and insurance won’t cover?

mjfelton15

Reaction score
Why do you want to force families to be responsible for $40k airlifts bills that they have no alternative to or even choice in declining and insurance won’t cover?
I said I think the drunk driver is liable in scenario you outlined. Originally you didn’t use this scenario. I criticized your statement saying you’d rather pay the same taxes than pay your own $30-40K bill.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
So you do in fact agree that it’s ok if the government (via taxes) helps to pay for the airlift bills. That’s not a difficult thing to say. Almost all would agree.

Section2

Reaction score
This is by far the smartest post you've ever made here. Not a lot of competition, but this thing single-handedly raised your average. Great call.
Just hit the 'like' button Jake. No one is interested.

cncmin

Reaction score
What generation, would you say, started the bad trend of feeling entitled to everything?
The Reagan Republicans, where they lied to us that massive, permanent tax cuts and massive expenditures would actually balance the budget. It's only gotten worse since. But they do it all. the. time. Voodoo economics. Didn't work then, still doesn't work almost 40 years later. But we have going on $25T debt now thanks to those policies, and damned be any politician who dares suggest we raise taxes to fix that problem. Our tax rates are a fraction of our expenditure rates, but then the same people lowering the tax rates complain about the debt. Well, if a President with an African last name is, they do.

GopherJake

Reaction score
After this next round of massive Republican spending passes, I think we should just go ahead and eliminate all federal taxation.

Top Bottom