How Does Gopher Hole Financially Make It?

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
No one puts more effort into their posts for less payoff. You don’t really think this do you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I find good as gold funny more often than not. A number of his posts I don’t get, but I just let it go.

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Reaction score
thank you for finally responding to questions about behind the scenes stuff. i have had a continuous question that i have asked numerous times: who are the moderators? i don't mean what are their real names and what do they do for a living, but what are their monikers outside of their moderation duties? every site i have ever been on from reddit to youtube to other message boards always make their moderators public (by their posting moniker). this keeps any accusation of capricious moderation at bay. which is something that i am surprised is so dismissed by the posters on this board. so many people here have been banned, temporarily or permanently, and the sides are so drastically drawn between posters here, that i'm surprised that no one other than me has ever asked "who is pushing the ban button?" and "how are the purposely vague rules of the board applied?"

i have my suspicions about certain posters who likely also have moderation duties. and i have had suspicions of capricious and overzealous moderation at times. i wonder what the large number of posters on the site as a whole would think if they knew who was moderating. because, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, much of the moderation on this site is quiet and i would bet there is a lot of moderation that gets missed by the average poster. i think it should be more transparent.
A few years back we went away from having regular posters as moderators. Station19 was a moderator for many years, he was the last regular poster. We were recommended a "best practice" by some other message board owners to try to find "lurkers" as moderators and we've been able to do that. It helps keep some balance and allows the writers to focus on writing. It's not perfect but it seems to be a good formula for us.

bigtenchamps1899

credulous skeptic
Reaction score
A few years back we went away from having regular posters as moderators. Station19 was a moderator for many years, he was the last regular poster. We were recommended a "best practice" by some other message board owners to try to find "lurkers" as moderators and we've been able to do that. It helps keep some balance and allows the writers to focus on writing. It's not perfect but it seems to be a good formula for us.
sensible reply.

i wonder why it took so long for such a sensible reply and why at this very moment

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
lol! "we"

you quoted my post but didn't address the question. where have i seen that before?
Do you really have a problem with the moderation? Like you said it's barely noticed. Every once in a while a thread disappears, or a poster gets banned. Usually when a poster gets banned they have been horrible for a very long time and probably deserve it. I don't know for a fact but I'd assume they are given warnings and continue to do the same thing over and over.

I'm glad the mods aren't super active here like I've seen on other message boards. Keep up the good work gopherhole staff.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I agree that it is a good thing the mods here don't seem to be too zealous in moderating the content of posters, so long as they aren't posting really awful stuff (4chan hate language, etc. etc.).

Having unpopular opinions should never get you banned, in of itself.

Top Bottom