Hong Kong Protests

Wally

Reaction score
Anyone paying attention? Or is this the kind of deal where Trump isn't siding with the protesters (incredibly), so the Trump fans don't care, and of course the board commies are hoping China squashes the capitalism out of Hong Kong, so no one cares?
Trump never sides with oppressed people, his dream is to be dictator. One of my big problems with Trump is that he doesn't address this in his China policy.

Hong Kong was an awesome city, I have been excited to go back ever since I was there. I'm sure its still ok, but I am not excited to go back now. I have also been to mainland China and my take is its a dystopian nightmare that they try to dress up for visitors. No desire to go back.

CutDownTheNet

Reaction score
The US should always signal support with defenders of liberty the world over. They're flying US flags and signing the anthem for god's sake. It's a million times more important than a trade deal.
The U.S. should not publicly say anything. It's better if the protests are viewed and continue to grow organically. Shadow operations are probably happening. The goal is for this to spread to the mainland cities

Let's hope the protesters win, but I don't know what a win looks like right now.
I've kept up on this issue, and it's very complicated. For now anyway, I think the Hong Kong protesters are fairly well screwed. The Chinese are using open-source machine-learning AI for facial recognition, and they are just now working on integrating regional systems into a nation-wide facial-recognition system that's tied directly into their social score database. They are using US-researched high tech to implement the new Orwellian world of China.

Also, many (and perhaps soon most) parts of China outlaw paying for anything in cash. It would be like going to your local store and instead of having a separate cash-only checkout line and another separate credit-only checkout, every single one of their checkout lines is credit card only. The banks are largely owned/run by the Chinese Communist Party.

So they are rapidly approaching the point where, if you're protesting, say in Hong Kong, and they catch your face on a Hong Kong camera, then they can implement the ultimate cancel culture on you, by confiscating the entire balance on your debit card and setting your credit card limit to zero, and at that point you have to buy *everything* on the black market. Your credit is no good anywhere, neither Hong Kong nor Beijing.

Once they passed that new Security Law that says they can basically kidnap you in Hong Kong and try you on the mainland (and so you're never to be heard from again), that makes protest that much more difficult in Hong Kong.

I don't see a whole lot we can do for Hong Kong, short term, aside from sending in our Navy and Marines to rescue them (which would no doubt start World War 3).

Trump does have some kettles in the fire, but you won't hear much about it. It's mostly about building up our high ground so that we have advantages in the next round of trade negotiations. A little known fact is that Trump is kicking China right in the shorts right now. He's had enough of them stealing US technology, so he put the lid on exporting to China the machines to make silicon chips. Their current chip fabs are on 14 nm while ours are on 5 nm. This hits there electronics industry. Their crops are failing due to floods, and they may need to buy lots of US ag products. Trump is accumulating these ace cards in his pocket.

If Biden wins, the US is screwed and China will own our ass and we will have no leverage whatsoever in trying to get China to end its human-rights malpractices.

Interestingly though, Xi Jinping is losing face in China, and he recently has been triggered into instigating massive purges within the CCP. It remains to be seen whether he will remain the strongarm leader or whether a new faction will ultimately come to power.

The Hong Kong boys and girls are going to have to hunker down and stay the course for a while.

CutDownTheNet

Reaction score
Do you actually listen to Trump speak? It's not an opinion that he has little knowledge of most world affairs. You guys constantly come on here telling us what brilliant thing Trump is really up to when there is zero evidence that he is anything other than low information.
What matters is that he's finally got some competent advisors, and he does listen to them. In public, he works hard to maintain his country bumpkin image. Hey, I cringe on a lot of things he says, but I've come to realize that while his talk is cringe-worthy, his actions are (many more times than not) laudable.

Wally

Reaction score
What matters is that he's finally got some competent advisors, and he does listen to them. In public, he works hard to maintain his country bumpkin image. Hey, I cringe on a lot of things he says, but I've come to realize that while his talk is cringe-worthy, his actions are (many more times than not) laudable.
Who are his competent advisors?

Top Bottom