Hong Kong Protests

Section2

Reaction score
Anyone paying attention? Or is this the kind of deal where Trump isn't siding with the protesters (incredibly), so the Trump fans don't care, and of course the board commies are hoping China squashes the capitalism out of Hong Kong, so no one cares?

JTF is outraged at John Daly's shorts, and misses the chance to take a 100% legit shot at Trump on something that matters. Amazing.

Omega015

Reaction score
Trump not coming out in support of the protesters is the least surprising thing that has happened this week. We ceded the moral high ground as a country by electing this idiot.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
This is high stakes poker. The public has no idea what the plan is and shouldn’t.

My guess is that Trump doesn’t want to wreck future trade negotiations and is keeping his involvement to a minimum with this situation. But he will use that as leverage.

The protesters are giving China fits, as could be expected, since China is trying to speed up their control over Hong Kong, which wasn’t agreed to in the British handover.

As weak as Trump’s rhetoric sounds on the topic, I think the US will play the good guy enough to make sure China doesn’t go military on the protesters.

But where the heck is the criticism from the UN and international community about China’s attempt to exceed their influence over HK? Maybe there is and I just haven't heard it. I would think the UK would be raising heck.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Trump not coming out in support of the protesters is the least surprising thing that has happened this week. We ceded the moral high ground as a country by electing this idiot.
You mean like Obama did with Iran and the Iranian people?

Omega015

Reaction score
Trump has no plan. He never has. There is no poker. There is no leverage. He's too busy tweeting about Fredo to care about Hong Kong.

The UK also ceded the moral high ground by electing idiots. They are too busy imploding their own Kingdom right now.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Trump has no plan. He never has. There is no poker. There is no leverage. He's too busy tweeting about Fredo to care about Hong Kong.

The UK also ceded the moral high ground by electing idiots. They are too busy imploding their own Kingdom right now.
I’m not a poker player, but my advice to you is that you should never play poker and bet real money.

You aren’t grasping the concept of not tipping your hand.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score

Stay on topic.
So if we're keeping score here, everyone that I don't agree with are idiots and don't bring up the previous regime's incompetence, although all we heard during Barry's 8 years was "but Bush", "but Bush!", "but Bush!!!"?

Does that sum it up?

justthefacts

Reaction score
Anyone paying attention? Or is this the kind of deal where Trump isn't siding with the protesters (incredibly), so the Trump fans don't care, and of course the board commies are hoping China squashes the capitalism out of Hong Kong, so no one cares?

(tweet redacted)

JTF is outraged at John Daly's shorts, and misses the chance to take a 100% legit shot at Trump on something that matters. Amazing.
Trump giving that exact answer to some policy question happens 5 times per week whenever a reporter asks him about something that hasn't yet appeared on Fox & Friends.

Section2

Reaction score
So if we're keeping score here, everyone that I don't agree with are idiots and don't bring up the previous regime's incompetence, although all we heard during Barry's 8 years was "but Bush", "but Bush!", "but Bush!!!"?

Does that sum it up?
Omega is the most angry poster here. I would ignore. Have never had a substantive discussion with him/her.

Section2

Reaction score
This is high stakes poker. The public has no idea what the plan is and shouldn’t.

My guess is that Trump doesn’t want to wreck future trade negotiations and is keeping his involvement to a minimum with this situation. But he will use that as leverage.

The protesters are giving China fits, as could be expected, since China is trying to speed up their control over Hong Kong, which wasn’t agreed to in the British handover.

As weak as Trump’s rhetoric sounds on the topic, I think the US will play the good guy enough to make sure China doesn’t go military on the protesters.

But where the heck is the criticism from the UN and international community about China’s attempt to exceed their influence over HK? Maybe there is and I just haven't heard it. I would think the UK would be raising heck.
The US should always signal support with defenders of liberty the world over. They're flying US flags and signing the anthem for god's sake. It's a million times more important than a trade deal.

Gopherguy0723

Reaction score
The U.S. should not publicly say anything. It's better if the protests are viewed and continue to grow organically. Shadow operations are probably happening. The goal is for this to spread to the mainland cities

Let's hope the protesters win, but I don't know what a win looks like right now.

bga1

Reaction score
My guess is that he will say something soon to support the protesters but I suspect that Pompeo and company are talking to China first and asking them to stop this nonsense. They may be thinking that a US statement at this moment may cost some protesters their lives if China decides to act with brutal force. It is no secret that Trump is playing tough with China, tougher than any President has so any notion that he has suddenly gone soft or will not be supportive of protests against China are a little foolish. Judging by a few of the posters lined up to criticize, that's not real surprising.

Section2

Reaction score
The U.S. should not publicly say anything. It's better if the protests are viewed and continue to grow organically. Shadow operations are probably happening. The goal is for this to spread to the mainland cities

Let's hope the protesters win, but I don't know what a win looks like right now.
I'm fine with saying nothing. I'm not fine with Trump's "both sides"ing it. Hong Kong protesters are in the right, period. I get that there are political calculations, but say nothing, or even a banal statement about the US always standing on the side of liberty and self determination.

Omega015

Reaction score
Omega is the most angry poster here. I would ignore. Have never had a substantive discussion with him/her.
This is rich coming from you, since nobody on this board has ever had a substantive conversation with you.

Omega015

Reaction score
I'm fine with saying nothing. I'm not fine with Trump's "both sides"ing it. Hong Kong protesters are in the right, period. I get that there are political calculations, but say nothing, or even a banal statement about the US always standing on the side of liberty and self determination.
I don't necessarily agree with the first sentence, but agree with the rest.

Cruze

Reaction score
You mean like Obama did with Iran and the Iranian people?
You're rarely right about anything, Killer. Keep up your ignorant posts. They make for good target shooting.

Obama toughens his talk on Iran

June 23, 2009 -- Updated 2247 GMT (0647 HKT)

President Obama sharpened his language on Iran and stressed the urgency of overhauling the health care system at a news conference Tuesday.

"The United States and the international community have been appalled and outraged by the threats, beatings and imprisonments of the last few days," the president said, adding that he strongly condemns "these unjust actions."

Obama's Iran policy has received intense scrutiny amid growing concerns over Tehran's violent crackdown on street protests. The Iranian demonstrators believe the country's June 12 presidential election was a sham.

Obama earlier called on Iran to stop violent and unjust steps that stifle free speech, but some Republicans have criticized him for not siding more strongly with the demonstrators.

Asked why he held off on such strong language before, Obama insisted that his tone has been consistent. "Right after the election I said that we had profound concerns about the nature of the election, but that it was not up to us to determine what the outcome was," he said.

Obama also blasted allegations of some in the Iranian government that the United States is "instigating protests" as "patently false and absurd. This tired strategy of using old tensions to scapegoat other countries won't work anymore in Iran. This is not about the United States and the West; this is about the people of Iran and the future that they -- and only they -- will choose."

In what was believed to be a first, Obama's comments were available in Farsi, the main language of Iran, through a simultaneous translation on the White House Twitter link.

Obama said the Iranian regime still has a clear, open path to international acceptance despite the violence of the recent crackdown.

"There is a peaceful path ... to legitimacy," Obama said, and "we hope they take it." The president said Iran's "faith, sovereignty and traditions" can be accepted while the country's government nevertheless adheres to a set of "international norms and principles" regarding violence and the right of peaceful dissent.

Asked why he wouldn't spell out any consequences, the president replied, "Because I think that we don't know yet how this thing is going to play out. I know everybody here is on a 24-hour news cycle. I'm not."

Read complete article at: http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/06/23/obama.news.conference/index.html

Omega015

Reaction score

Does that sum it up?
Do you actually listen to Trump speak? It's not an opinion that he has little knowledge of most world affairs. You guys constantly come on here telling us what brilliant thing Trump is really up to when there is zero evidence that he is anything other than low information.

bga1

Reaction score
Do you actually listen to Trump speak? It's not an opinion that he has little knowledge of most world affairs. You guys constantly come on here telling us what brilliant thing Trump is really up to when there is zero evidence that he is anything other than low information.
He's President and you are well.... you.

bga1

Reaction score
You're rarely right about anything, Killer. Keep up your ignorant posts. They make for good target shooting.

President Obama sharpened his language on Iran and stressed the urgency of overhauling the health care system at a news conference Tuesday.

"The United States and the international community have been appalled and outraged by the threats, beatings and imprisonments of the last few days," the president said, adding that he strongly condemns "these unjust actions."

Obama's Iran policy has received intense scrutiny amid growing concerns over Tehran's violent crackdown on street protests. The Iranian demonstrators believe the country's June 12 presidential election was a sham.

Obama earlier called on Iran to stop violent and unjust steps that stifle free speech, but some Republicans have criticized him for not siding more strongly with the demonstrators.

Asked why he held off on such strong language before, Obama insisted that his tone has been consistent. "Right after the election I said that we had profound concerns about the nature of the election, but that it was not up to us to determine what the outcome was," he said.

Obama also blasted allegations of some in the Iranian government that the United States is "instigating protests" as "patently false and absurd. This tired strategy of using old tensions to scapegoat other countries won't work anymore in Iran. This is not about the United States and the West; this is about the people of Iran and the future that they -- and only they -- will choose."

In what was believed to be a first, Obama's comments were available in Farsi, the main language of Iran, through a simultaneous translation on the White House Twitter link.

Obama said the Iranian regime still has a clear, open path to international acceptance despite the violence of the recent crackdown.

"There is a peaceful path ... to legitimacy," Obama said, and "we hope they take it." The president said Iran's "faith, sovereignty and traditions" can be accepted while the country's government nevertheless adheres to a set of "international norms and principles" regarding violence and the right of peaceful dissent.

Asked why he wouldn't spell out any consequences, the president replied, "Because I think that we don't know yet how this thing is going to play out. I know everybody here is on a 24-hour news cycle. I'm not."

Read complete article at: http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/06/23/obama.news.conference/index.html
Obama sends 1.8 billion in cash on midnight plane to Iran- gets nothing.

Omega015

Reaction score
He's President and you are well.... you.
Maybe if I inherit a fortune and tweet racist things all day I can be president someday too. A guy can dream.

bga1

Reaction score
Maybe if I inherit a fortune and tweet racist things all day I can be president someday too. A guy can dream.
I still don't think it would work for you.

Section2

Reaction score
This is rich coming from you, since nobody on this board has ever had a substantive conversation with you.
completely false. I've had tons of them. I've tried to have them with you in the past as well. My perspective is just too foreign and triggering.

BTW, yours and Bad Gopher's avatars are so perfect, kudos.

Last edited:

GoodasGold

Reaction score

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Were u day-drinking when u posted this:confused:

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score

Proving talk means very little.

howeda7

Reaction score

Chances are the Administration has no idea what the plan is either. The only people who know are Trump, who's ignorant on foreign affairs and whoever talked to him last. We can only hope that person is the right one, if there are any left.

We do know that he's shown far more fondness for foreign dictators than anything else. That's likely why we'll say nothing to upset China.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Chances are the Administration has no idea what the plan is either. The only people who know are Trump, who's ignorant on foreign affairs and whoever talked to him last. We can only hope that person is the right one, if there are any left.

We do know that he's shown far more fondness for foreign dictators than anything else. That's likely why we'll say nothing to upset China.
You act like Trump had never been outside of the country before he became President. He had far more foreign policy experience dealing with international business than Obama ever had being a Illinois State Senator and brief experience in the US Senate. How’d that “Russian reset” work out? China was allowed to run amok under Obama.

And I’d trust Sec of State Pompeo over Secretary of States Pompous Kerry or crooked Hillary.

MennoSota

Reaction score
The Communist Party is losing legitimacy in China. It is no longer the ideological master over the people. This means that the Communist Party will likely try to crack down on all dissent and then blame ideological competitors. However, if the protesters can move this to the mainland we may see the fall of the Communist regime. China sits on a tipping point.

Angry

Reaction score
It’s too little too late. China’s stranglehold on it’s citizens by way of data collection, and facial recognition is vast. Scores are kept on citizens. Say something against the regime or even jaywalk your standard of living is downgraded.

For those who don’t think it could happen here. We’re already seeing it in dem run cities and companies, to a lesser extent to be sure, but it’s the lefts ultimate goal. Total control over the population.

Top Bottom