Here we go again...It’s the Circle game folks, not white supremacy

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Lefties are accusing Army and Navy cadets of flashing white supremacy signs on ESPN.

Gopher fans should start the narrative that that W that Wisconsin fans do with two hands stands for white supremacy and maybe they’ll stop. At least that would have some value.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
Doubt that we’re looking at cryptic supremacist signals. That exact same sign has been thrown by black gang members for years. They like hand signs. And fried foods.

howeda7

Reaction score
Lefties are accusing Army and Navy cadets of flashing white supremacy signs on ESPN.

Gopher fans should start the narrative that that W that Wisconsin fans do with two hands stands for white supremacy and maybe they’ll stop. At least that would have some value.
Sure it is. Totally. It's all the rage with kids these days. Like Beevis and Butthead.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Hey look! They have white supremacist hand gestures available here disguised as the OK sign. 👌

cncmin

Reaction score
I wonder if you've figured out what the Kaepernick kneel was all about yet.

howeda7

Reaction score
So the Fox News crowd wants us to believe that 19 year-olds in the military are playing a game based on a low-rated sitcom from 15 years ago when they were 4. Totally believable! I never knew Malcolm in the Middle was so influential. Gotta love Hal though.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
So the Fox News crowd wants us to believe that 19 year-olds in the military are playing a game based on a low-rated sitcom from 15 years ago when they were 4. Totally believable! I never knew Malcolm in the Middle was so influential. Gotta love Hal though.

Then you don’t have any clue about how stupid kids’s game get started and adopted into the culture.

Frankly, I had no idea how it started or if was exclusively the instigation. I’ve been told by my son that the “white power” version is a made up prank by pranksters trying to prove how something can become a cultural phenomenon when it wasn’t actually a white power sign at all.

I don’t know the truth. But I do know the circle game exists and what cadets did is totally in line with how it’s played.

tikited

Me
Reaction score

Do you actually believe it is a white supremacy signal or just not that Fox news knows what it is?

GophersInIowa

Reaction score

Not sure this is saying they're doing it because of the show but it's just an example of the game being played. The game has been played for a long time and is still played by kids and adults.

Yeah it could be a white supremacy sign. But it's much more likely to be the circle game.

monk10

Golden Gopher
Reaction score
It is like the slug bug game. Gotta love games where you get to punch someone :D.

howeda7

Reaction score
Do you actually believe it is a white supremacy signal or just not that Fox news knows what it is?
I seriously doubt the kid is a White Supremecist or has any evil intentions. Probably just a young man being dumb who thought it would be funny. But no, I don't think he's playing the "circle game."

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
The above Bad Gopher tweet post has to be a troll attempt. Only Teigen could be this stupid.

For howie, here’s some history. Btw howie, you are a real tool:

Barack Obama has done it. So have Oprah Winfrey, Ronald Reagan, Malcolm of “Malcolm in the Middle” and Beyoncé...

...What happened to the OK sign’s reputation for squeaky-clean sincerity? And how should the average person respond?
The short answer is that, starting in 2017, members of a discussion board called 4chan mounted one in a series of attempts to “troll” — or mock — liberals with a right-wing hoax, claiming that the OK sign was a symbol of white supremacy, according to Mark Pitcavage, a senior research fellow at the Anti-Defamation League. The idea was that “the libs” would take up the cry that the OK symbol was racist and, in so doing, make themselves look ridiculous.

Some news outlets took the bait, and the claim was repeated on social media, Pitcavage said. Soon more right-wing trolls joined the campaign, which was anti-liberal but not necessarily white supremacist. Then some actual white supremacists took up the OK sign, apparently still largely as a way to make fun of liberals.
And finally, some white supremacists started using the sign without apparent irony, most famously the New Zealand mosque shooter, a self-described racist who killed 51 Muslim worshipers March 15.

All of which leaves the OK sign at a complicated juncture, Pitcavage said.
“I think people should be careful about when and where they decide to make that symbol, because they could be accused of doing it for white supremacist purposes,’’ he said.
At the same time, the vast majority of Americans are using the OK sign in the traditional nonracist ways, he said. That includes the circle game, a popular pastime among kids and teens in which an upside-down OK sign is displayed below the waist. If your friend looks at your OK sign, you get to punch him...

Played in the U.S. since at least the 1980s, the circle game got a boost from an episode of the 2000s TV show “Malcolm in the Middle.” The Oak Park students who made the OK sign in their yearbook photos were playing the circle game, according to Pioneer Press, and the Cubs fan, who has not been named, made the upside-down OK sign...

...Speaking in general, Pitcavage said it’s important to not leap to conclusions when someone makes the OK sign.

“You cannot assume. That’s the whole problem,” he said. “You absolutely cannot assume what someone is doing when they make the OK sign unless there is contextual information. If the person making the sign is a known white supremacist, then one may assume. If the person making the sign has hate symbols on their clothes, or tattoos or jewelry, perhaps one can make an assumption. But in the absence of contextual evidence, you can’t assume.”...

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
Not sure this is saying they're doing it because of the show but it's just an example of the game being played. The game has been played for a long time and is still played by kids and adults.

Yeah it could be a white supremacy sign. But it's much more likely to be the circle game.
One of the dudes tapped the black cadet in front of him and then flashed the sign. That's a clue.

If that's what these kids are doing--and I think that likely--they're dishonoring the service, and the service would be better off expelling them. Maintaining the academy's honor and integrity is way more important than engineering a quasi-political point in order to avoid angering the president and his white-supremacist base, especially if the workaround is lame and implausible. Why go to that extreme at the expense of the reputation of the academy?

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
One of the dudes tapped the black cadet in front of him and then flashed the sign. That's a clue.

If that's what these kids are doing--and I think that likely--they're dishonoring the service, and the service would be better off expelling them. Maintaining the academy's honor and integrity is way more important than engineering a quasi-political point in order to avoid angering the president and his white-supremacist base, especially if the workaround is lame and implausible. Why go to that extreme at the expense of the reputation of the academy?
It is? You've never seen people in a crowd on TV get their buddies attention to do something funny? That's not a clue one way or another IMO.

Winnipegopher

Wag more, bark less
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess the New Zealand white supremacist mass killer was just playing the circle game.

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
Are you serious or trolling? I mean, Malcolm in the Middle? LOL, what? The circle game, or slug-bug, or whatever you want to call it, has been nearly ubiquitous all over the United States since I was a kid, and I turn 40 in a couple months. That is what they were quite clearly doing.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Thank you,DPO. This has got to be the dumbest thread.........well...........today on this board.

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
Thank you,DPO. This has got to be the dumbest thread.........well...........today on this board.
I'm dumbfounded. Both howeda and Bad Gopher appear to be serious with their posts in this thread, which is very disappointing.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
I'm dumbfounded. Both howeda and Bad Gopher appear to be serious with their posts in this thread, which is very disappointing.
I don’t know for what about Slug-bug or Malcolm’s middle, but that exact same finger configuration is what I use to sight-ring a vagina. It works well, and the women love it!

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
After investigation, the cadets were cleared. They were playing the circle game. Duh. Much to howie’s chagrin.

Spaulding!No!

Reaction score

There is hard evidence that Uw keeps things a shade lighter. The madison paper doesn’t print the fascism complaints from athletes

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
It's the Cyclops. Don't you watch Watchmen? Clearly white supremacists.

Reaction score
It’s Trumps fault I’m really stupid said Howdy and Mndot Pot Hole guy aka bad gopher. Resident gopherhole firefighters.

Top Bottom