Has participating in the Office Topic Board caused you to rethink

Have Discussions on the Off Topic Board (why waste time on this)

• Caused you to change support for Trump (didn't vote for him in 20160

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Caused you to vote for Biden

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WorkingMyTailOff

Reaction score
If you have spent time here discussing US presidential politics has this board caused you to rethink things? Sorry forgive the title it should read Off Topic Board.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
I think the silence is your answer: an implied "no."

Go4Broke

Reaction score
If you have spent time here discussing US presidential politics has this board caused you to rethink things? Sorry forgive the title it should read Off Topic Board.
The only thing my time spent posting in the OT has caused me to rethink are my feelings about people who support the Republican Party. I used to believe most people who opposed my left wing politics were reasonable and well-meaning people who wanted freedom, democracy, and prosperity for all Americans and for oppressed people around the world. I no longer believe this. I now understand that right wingers will post any lie and ignore all contrary evidence in pursuit of their anti-democratic, hypernationalist, and environmentally ruthless political agenda.

Last edited:

GopherJake

Reaction score
I read posts here to learn the different angles. The trolls and lib owners block the way, but I’m smart enough to wade through the cesspool to find some things that I find interesting and help me understand the arguments. Many are legit, have merit and make me consider my positions further. I have conservative friends politically and definitely have some conservative values of my own.

The rioting, for example, has incensed me. I live inside the perimeter of the action of early June and can tell you my favorite day was when the National Guard was seen all around my neighborhood and on TV beating back the opportunist a-holes. I have posted on NextDoor that if you stand aside a rioter or break curfew, I would like nothing more than to see you on the ground in handcuffs. I fully support the protesters too. There is a very small amount of crossover soiling the effort.

Last edited:

cjbfbp

Reaction score
The rioting, for example, has incensed me. I live inside the perimeter of the action of early June and can tell you my favorite day was when the National Guard was seen all around my neighborhood and on TV beating back the opportunist a-holes. I have posted on NextDoor that if you stand aside a rioter or break curfew, I would like nothing more than to see you on the ground in handcuffs. I fully support the protesters too. There is a very small amount of crossover soiling the effort.
Agreed, but I think we have to keep reminding ourselves (and others) that:

1) this is a presidential election, not an election for local sheriff;

2) none of these trouble makers are going to be serving in the Biden administration.

Meanwhile, we do have people in the Trump administration like Bill Barr, Louis DeJoy, John Ratcliffe, and others who are running roughshod over normal rules and norms. I'm pretty confident that the Biden administration won't have a six-week period where they fire five inspector generals.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Agree. Didn't mean to derail the thread. Just trying to illustrate an area where the reaction of others has influenced my view. Things I learned via folks here helped paint my view.

Wally

Reaction score
Yes the riots suck, I went to school with people in the outer ring suburbs who I know would have went to the city to burn and wreck S if this had happened at that time. Driven by young male hoodlums seizing the opportunity...

Spoofin

Reaction score
I’ve always known there are extremists on both ends of the spectrum. I have learned on tOTB that those on the extreme left (at least the ones on this board) are so unbelievably dishonest and detached from reality that our society has little hope.

Wally

Reaction score
I’ve always known there are extremists on both ends of the spectrum. I have learned on tOTB that those on the extreme left (at least the ones on this board) are so unbelievably dishonest and detached from reality that our society has little hope.
You mean they are just like Trump

MennoSota

Reaction score
I wasn't going to vote for either Biden or Trump, but the lunatic left is pushing me to vote a straight Republican ticket, including for President. I still consider Trump a degenerate person, but the Democratic Party is so evil, it makes Trump look better than the Democratic Party.
How did the Democratic Party fall so far away from supporting the US Constitution? It's just sad to see how morally corrupt the Party has become.

howeda7

Reaction score
I wasn't going to vote for either Biden or Trump, but the lunatic left is pushing me to vote a straight Republican ticket, including for President. I still consider Trump a degenerate person, but the Democratic Party is so evil, it makes Trump look better than the Democratic Party.
How did the Democratic Party fall so far away from supporting the US Constitution? It's just sad to see how morally corrupt the Party has become.
Shocking! You were always going to do that, but if blaming "the left" helps you sleep at night, go for it.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
I don't care who you vote for and I echo Howe's words. However, your "guilt by association" reasoning (no matter how untenable that is) is ridiculous. I'm confident that more Klan and loony militia members will show up and vote for Trump (and Republicans) than rioters and looters will show up and vote for Biden and Democrats. Nevertheless, I'm not going to associate the the Klan with the Republican party despite the fact that Trump was invited to denounce David Duke and refused to do so. Contrast that with Republicans, including the first president Bush, who told Louisiana Republican voters to vote for Democrat Edwards when David Duke won the Republican nomination for LA governor in 1991 despite the fact that Edwards was notoriously corrupt.

MennoSota

Reaction score
Shocking! You were always going to do that, but if blaming "the left" helps you sleep at night, go for it.
You are an idiot. You wouldn't know your right hand from your left, let alone how people would vote.

MennoSota

Reaction score
I don't care who you vote for and I echo Howe's words. However, your "guilt by association" reasoning (no matter how untenable that is) is ridiculous. I'm confident that more Klan and loony militia members will show up and vote for Trump (and Republicans) than rioters and looters will show up and vote for Biden and Democrats. Nevertheless, I'm not going to associate the the Klan with the Republican party despite the fact that Trump was invited to denounce David Duke and refused to do so. Contrast that with Republicans, including the first president Bush, who told Louisiana Republican voters to vote for Democrat Edwards when David Duke won the Republican nomination for LA governor in 1991 despite the fact that Edwards was notoriously corrupt.
The loony left isn't going to vote this year? Is that your claim? Does that mean you aren't sending your USPS vote in?

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score
Trump's got it all wrapped up. In the bag. I don't think Republicans even really need to show up in force. Easy peasy, might as well stay home and still coast to victory. Dems won't vote anyway, too busy rioting to take time off to vote. Stay home folks.

bga1

Reaction score
Actually, yes, in that way. I am not a Trump supporter. I won’t vote for him. I don’t like liars and leaders shouldn’t be divisive.
Point me to a lie Trump has told regarding policy. Thanks. I would say that he is one of the most honest politicians I have seen. He tends to say what he really feels and thinks and that is refreshing.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Point me to a lie Trump has told regarding policy. Thanks. I would say that he is one of the most honest politicians I have seen. He tends to say what he really feels and thinks and that is refreshing.
I could focus on COVID alone and show you a number of them.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Actually, yes, in that way. I am not a Trump supporter. I won’t vote for him. I don’t like liars and leaders shouldn’t be divisive.
That’s cool. But I can point to a lot of lies that Biden has told, so I guess it makes it difficult to vote for anyone.

There is such a thing as “the lesser of two evils”. I’m not saying that either candidate is evil, rather just using the phrase to make a point.

The country is at a fork in the road regardless of the personal characteristics of either party’s candidates. You should vote for one of those two routes regardless of the person leading it.

Traditional conservative or Republican president’s and politicians were getting creamed by the left and their media arm. Trump is the bad boy needed to expose and fight the unholy alliance on the left, and it is a necessary fight, though ugly.

Spoofin

Reaction score
That’s cool. But I can point to a lot of lies that Biden has told, so I guess it makes it difficult to vote for anyone.
Absolutely. Biden lies and the way the left has created BS narrative after BS narrative makes them even worse, IMO. Their enabling of the riots is what I find even more despicable.

I won’t be voting for Biden either. I get your “lesser of two evils” thought, but at the end of the day both evils are a little too ‘evil’ in this case. For me.

Wally

Reaction score
He said he would come out with a health care plan, many times, still waiting.

Probably tough since Obama used a Republican plan and everything Obama did is wrong, lol

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Who will you ever vote for if you don’t like liars? Divisive politicians?

You are out of the voting game.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Start a new thread to bitch past one another. OP is interesting.

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
I read posts here to learn the different angles. The trolls and lib owners block the way, but I’m smart enough to wade through the cesspool to find some things that I find interesting and help me understand the arguments. Many are legit, have merit and make me consider my positions further. I have conservative friends politically and definitely have some conservative values of my own.

GJ, you know there's nothing better than owning the libs

howeda7

Reaction score
Here's several, just from today's Dementia Don Labor Day "Press Conference."

howeda7

Reaction score
Trump's got it all wrapped up. In the bag. I don't think Republicans even really need to show up in force. Easy peasy, might as well stay home and still coast to victory. Dems won't vote anyway, too busy rioting to take time off to vote. Stay home folks.
Menno definitely shouldn't strain his conscience voting for Trump. It's not needed. He can "leave it blank" like he was going to all along.

howeda7

Reaction score
Trump is the bad boy needed to expose and fight the unholy alliance on the left, and it is a necessary fight, though ugly.
So bad. Rugged. Dragon Energy!

It makes easy to look past his lack of morals, his lies and his utter ignorance and incompetence.

Top Bottom