Green Line brawl

Iceland12

Reaction score
Shots fired near rec center, teens’ brawl spreads along Green Line, police say

http://www.twincities.com/2017/08/1...ns-brawl-spreads-along-green-line-police-say/

Is there anyone left who still thinks the Light Rail was a good idea? Hard to even break even when it is dangerous and hardly anyone pays.
"What began with a call for a single cop to quell an out-of-control birthday party at a St. Paul rec center ended with a brazen brawl involving hundreds of teens that stretched across entire city neighborhoods.

Police officials are saying that the Saturday night melee, which resulted in six arrests and may have been related to a person found brutally beaten at a downtown bus stop, was the worst of its kind this summer.

While officers are often called to break up fights, the size, scope and degree to which participants ignored officers’ commands forced police to pull numerous spare squads from every district in the city as fights broke out.

“Basically what we have is utter disregard for common decency. This whole event was sheer stupidity,” said St. Paul police spokesman Steve Linders.

The incidents began just after 10 p.m. Saturday, when an officer was called to a birthday party at Dunning Recreation Center, a midsize parks department facility adjacent to Central High School in St. Paul’s Summit-University neighborhood.

Police said an employee of St. Paul-based ARTS-Us, which has managed the center for years, “feared for his life,” as the private party grew increasingly rowdy — particularly after 9:30 p.m., when it was supposed to officially end. Pictures of the building’s interior after the party showed overturned tables and trash strewn about the building.

The lone ARTS-Us staff member working that night wrote in a report on the cause of the incident: “They didn’t follow rules. And was asked to leave. But they didn’t. There was activities going on that shouldn’t be going on.”

When asked to describe the “outcome of the incident,” the staff member wrote, “Fight. Being out of control. So I had to call the police. The parent left after I told her that I called police, found out that shots was fired outside.”

The staff member, when contacted at home, declined to comment.

The person who signed the rental agreement for the party with ARTS-Us — which had a $100 damage deposit — did not immediately return a call for comment Monday.

A police officer arrived to find a crowd of “between 100 and 200 teens” in Dunning’s parking lot and right away heard three shots.

As the officer called for backup, multiple fights broke out.

FIGHT SPREADS ALONG GREEN LINE

As more officers arrived on scene, Linders said partygoers largely ignored them and kept fighting.

The first person arrested — Roman Prescott Jr., 18, of St. Paul — was one part of the parking lot brawl, police said. When officers tried to detain him, others in the crowd grabbed him and tried pulling him out of their hands, forcing police to use pepper spray, Linders said.

Within minutes, another brawl started a few blocks away. And then reports poured in from multiple stops on the Green Line, along University Avenue, several blocks to the north."...

Six teens were arrested, including Prescott and another 18-year-old, Taishawn Taqunn Smith, both on riot charges. The other four were age 13 to 17; police withheld their identities because they are minors. They also face rioting and other charges, including fleeing police and disorderly conduct.

Two of them — a 13-year-old and a 17-year-old — also were charged with felony aggravated assault. Police noted the 17-year-old was arrested downtown as a felon in possession of a .22-caliber handgun — the same caliber of three shell casings found later that morning in Dunning’s parking lot. Police are testing to see if the casings match the gun...

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
The Green Line is a little sketchy but generally makes for a wonderful cultural experience. My favorite was when a couple rottweilers jumped into my lap and licked my face.
Ha!

Greenline and blueline are both jokes. Nice for out of towners going from or to the airport.

Buses are better. I remember taking old bus #7 to target on lake street as a kid. It's basically what the hiawatha line took over.

When I was 21, I used to called the hiawatha line the "drunk rail." It was the only good use for it, since it was easier to catch than a bus

tikited

Me
Reaction score
So this mess wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the light rail? :confused:
How in the world did you get that from my post?

Just read an article that listed areas where skipping payment has actually doubled from an already high percentage in the last two years. As the number of riders has been growing over the last few years the number of freeloaders has risen right along with them. Hard to be financially sound when this is the case. Add the crime element (that has been rising on and around the lines) that hasn't been properly addressed and we have a major problem. 110 assaults at light rail over a ten month period in 2015 was bad enough...Only getting worse statistically. One stupid article I read defended the system stating that it is worse in some other cities...that makes it so much better.

How are "they" going to fix the problems? They aren't.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
The Green Line is a little sketchy but generally makes for a wonderful cultural experience. My favorite was when a couple rottweilers jumped into my lap and licked my face.
A "wonderful cultural experience", lol. That's a very PC way to put it. Bravo!

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
How in the world did you get that from my post?

Just read an article that listed areas where skipping payment has actually doubled from an already high percentage in the last two years. As the number of riders has been growing over the last few years the number of freeloaders has risen right along with them. Hard to be financially sound when this is the case. Add the crime element (that has been rising on and around the lines) that hasn't been properly addressed and we have a major problem. 110 assaults at light rail over a ten month period in 2015 was bad enough...Only getting worse statistically. One stupid article I read defended the system stating that it is worse in some other cities...that makes it so much better.

How are "they" going to fix the problems? They aren't.
No, they aren't. These are the same kids who we're supposed to pretend should be getting the same grades in school, scoring the same on tests & should have the same disciplinary issues as everyone else, otherwise it's racism.

Top Bottom