D 1 Council officially moves championship to April, reduces field to 48 (16 at large bids will make things tight) and retains flexibility for changes.
The finals site of the championship is scheduled for April 23-25, with a 48-team bracket. Thirty-two of the teams will be automatic qualifiers, with 16 at-large selections.
The normal bracket size for the championship is 64 teams.
Regular-season play will span from Jan. 22-April 3, with selections April 4
Playing and practice season rules
The Council also adopted emergency legislation adjusting playing and practice season rules for fall sports other than football.
- Allow a school to break up the fall segment into multiple segments of the playing season.
- Prohibit practice during finals (and the week prior) at the conclusion of the fall term if a team is “in-season” but not competing.
- Require a break prior to the start of the spring championship segment.
- Allow schools to extend their seasons past the NCAA championship date in that sport but require seasons to end at or before the end of the school’s academic year.
- Exempts non-NCAA championship postseason competitions that occur outside the playing season.
- Prohibit midyear enrollees from competing in the 2020-21 academic year.