Gopher Volleyball 2021 - Spring Season

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
It really bothers me that a historically nothing school in volleyball, Kentucky, can just suddenly bootstrap itself into the elite of DI.

SEC $$$

I would think it was generally good for college sports if historically “nothing” sports programs could “bootstrap” themselves into the elites of their sports. To me, sports gets boring if it is always the same teams at the top (see even college football over the past 10-15 years - a sport I have always loved so very much).

Anyway, maybe I romanticize the Americanism of up-by-your-bootstrap traditionalism too much.

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
I would think it was generally good for college sports if historically “nothing” sports programs could “bootstrap” themselves into the elites of their sports. To me, sports gets boring if it is always the same teams at the top (see even college football over the past 10-15 years - a sport I have always loved so very much).

Anyway, maybe I romanticize the Americanism of up-by-your-bootstrap traditionalism too much.
That is fine. I hate that the $EC does it by dumping truckloads of football money into other sports.

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
And Big Ten schools don't?
Which sports that the Big Ten hasn't historically been good (nationally competitive) at, are there suddenly teams in the conf that are top 5-10 in the nation, since the TV money era started?

Maybe there are.

I just know that the traditional SEC schools (not Mizzou and Texas A&M), other than Florida, have always sucked at volleyball, but then suddenly Kentucky is an elite program the last few years??? Smells

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
Which sports that the Big Ten hasn't historically been good (nationally competitive) at, are there suddenly teams in the conf that are top 5-10 in the nation, since the TV money era started?

Maybe there are.

I just know that the traditional SEC schools (not Mizzou and Texas A&M), other than Florida, have always sucked at volleyball, but then suddenly Kentucky is an elite program the last few years??? Smells
Since 2011, Kentucky has been unseeded, 16, 15, 13, unseeded, unseeded, 4, 10, 9

Kentucky is not a good example to use. Try another SEC program.

Gopher68

Reaction score
And 2. https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/volleyball-women/d1/2021

Thank you for proving my point.

Now you can stop ignoring the question I asked.
Kentucky hired a real good coach. He is a great recruiter and has been building his program for several years. If your theory is correct, there should have been multiple SEC programs that went from zero to very good in a short period of time. In addition, they would have sustained their elevated position. I do not see this result in SEC volleyball.

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for both your replies.

I disagree Minn softball is equivalent to what Kentucky has achieved in volleyball.

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
Thanks for both your replies.

I disagree Minn softball is equivalent to what Kentucky has achieved in volleyball.
You didn't see the end of the Bernstein era then. With the exception of 2008, they were in the bottom half of the Big Ten from 2005-2010 finishing 9,11,10,4 (the exception),8,11. That was when there were only 11 teams in the conference.

Coach Allister came in, then after 2 more years in the bottom half, the rest is history. Gopher68's point is that if you find the right coach, a team's history can be rewritten. Kentucky did it with volleyball.

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
Gopher68's point is that if you find the right coach, a team's history can be rewritten. Kentucky did it with volleyball.
Not questioning that. I'm saying that Gopher softball is not anywhere near as nationally elite as Kentucky has become in vball.

Regardless, 68 did make a good point that more SEC schools would be doing that. I'm surprised they haven't, and I fear it won't be long before they do, with the dump trucks of football money they can arbitrarily pump into programs.

Hrothgar

Reaction score
Intriguing that KY, a state not really known for women's rights programs, has ranked or RV teams at UK and WKY in both women's softball & VB, while the big-time men's football & basketball programs have leveled off a bit recently. Doesn't prove anything, but a bit ironic.

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
The announcer, Sam Gore, was talking up Lipscomb before the match. Lipscomb quickly took a 3-0 lead-time out Georgia Tech.

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Georgia Tech came back late to win the first set 25-21. Lipscomb made sure that didn't happen in the second set and ran away to win 25-16. 1-1 after two.

Georgia Tech is quick. Lipscomb has the slide working.

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
It'll be Minnesota versus Georgia Tech. Tech had a little too much power for Lipscomb and took the last two sets. 25-21 and 25-19.

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Some of Georgia Tech's standout performances versus LIpscomb.

Julia Bergmann went off for 31 kills and hit .381 after having just seven errors in 61 attacks as Georgia Tech beat Lipscomb 25-21, 16-25, 25-21, 25-19.

Georgia Tech will face third-seeded Minnesota (15-2) of the Big Ten. They’ve played six times, the last in 2009. Minnesota has won the last five between them.

Bergmann also had two assists, 15 digs, and three blocks, one solo.

Mikaila Dowd added 12 kills for the Yellow Jackets, who hit .322. She had one error in 21 swings and hit .524 and had two aces, 13 digs, and two blocks. Mariana Brambilla had 11 kills, an ace, 18 digs, and three blocks. Matti McKissock had 54 assists, 11 digs, and a block.

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
The favorites advanced in today's first session. Ohio State defeated Missouri in straight sets. #10 Oregon swept Notre Dame. #11 Louisville had to go four hard sets to defeat San Diego and #12 Baylor went five to finally put away Pepperdine.

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Dayton won sets three and four setting up a fifth set with #6 Washington.

The other matches were sweeps. #7 Purdue came back from a 24-18 deficit to take the first set before taking the next two. #8 Florida knocked out the other Morehead State. #5 Nebraska finished off Texas State.

rowdaboat

Reaction score
Espn3 working for you guys? Did for me in first set then drove home and now nothing loads when I click game

Frink

Reaction score
Espn3 working for you guys? Did for me in first set then drove home and now nothing loads when I click game
It's a little hinky. I can watch it now but I am unable to cast it to my TV.

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Georgia Tech could'nt stop the left side attack from Rollins and Landfair; couldn't stop Samedy's backrow boomers and were slowed down by the Gopher middles. It was also fun to watch the Gophers close out each set strong.

Hrothgar

Reaction score
Anybody know where Myers is for the Gophers? She seems to have disappeared. And is CC done for the season? She seemed to be there but in a knee brace.

Gopher68

Reaction score
Anybody know where Myers is for the Gophers? She seems to have disappeared. And is CC done for the season? She seemed to be there but in a knee brace.
CC was not there (at least I didn't see her). The player in the knee brace was Hunter Atherton.

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

The No. 3 University of Minnesota volleyball program advanced to the Regional Semifinal with a 3-0 win over Georgia Tech, tonight in Omaha, Neb. Minnesota (16-2) won by scores of 25-19, 25-21, 25-18 and will play the winner of the Pittsburgh/Utah match. Time and broadcast information to be determined at a later date.

The Golden Gophers had three with double-digit kills this evening. Stephanie Samedy had 13 kills, hit .357 (13-3-28), had nine digs, three assists, two blocks and an ace. Adanna Rollins hit .345 (13-3-29), had eight digs, two blocks and an assist. Taylor Landfair added 11 kills, an ace and a block. Regan Pittman contributed a team-best six blocks, three solo and three assists, and hit .308 with five kills. Shea Rubright also added four kills and three blocks. Melani Shaffmaster posted 32 assists, three kills, three blocks and an ace. She also had a team-best 16 digs. Rachel Kilkelly added eight assists and eight digs.

As a team, Minnesota hit .359, had 49 kills, three aces, 52 digs and 10 blocks. The Gophers held Georgia Tech to 39 kills as the Yellow Jackets hit .169 and had 38 digs and five blocks.

"Georgia Tech is a heck of a team and they absolutely made us earn it," head coach Hugh McCutcheon said. "At the beginning of the match and even beginning of the sets, just some really good volleyball. It was a good match and they can play."

rowdaboat

Reaction score
Pitt up 2-0 on 14 Utah that Gophers would get next, WKU up 2-0 on 15 Wash St otherwise no issues for high seeds

Hrothgar

Reaction score
CC was not there (at least I didn't see her). The player in the knee brace was Hunter Atherton.
Pardon me, but I still feel it unusual that the Gophers staff proceed w/o McGraw & Myers and w/o a word as though they never existed. Or am I missing something?

Holy Man

Reaction score
Pardon me, but I still feel it unusual that the Gophers staff proceed w/o McGraw & Myers and w/o a word as though they never existed. Or am I missing something?
This seems standard issue in women’s sports at the U. Both volleyball and basketball injuries get no mention. Looks like they take privacy concerns very seriously. I can’t imagine it’s playing games. Just taking student privacy to an extreme level.

Top Bottom