Gopher Volleyball 2019

let'sbeclear

Reaction score
Does anyone with more volleyball knowledge than me know what the difference was between the early-season Gophers win over Stanford and last night's match? Was it something the Gophers did in September that managed to control Stanford's hitting, or was Stanford just off on that day?

Last edited:

Hrothgar

Reaction score
Does anyone with more volleyball knowledge than me know what the difference was between the early-season Gophers win over Stanford and last night's match? Was it something the Gophers did in September that managed to control Stanford's hitting, or was Stanford just off on that day?
I'm the farthest thing from knowing much about VB, but I'd say simply: Stanford had Plummer last night and MN didn't. What happened in September? Stanford had a tough match w/ PSU the night before. MN didn't.

cncmin

Reaction score
Plummer was absolutely awesome. Not that I'm a volleyball aficionado, but that was the best "big" game by any single player I've personally seen. Every time she smacked the ball it just sounded "different" from the hits of every other player on the court. And it went where she wanted it, and fast and hard. We didn't have Plummer. That was the main difference. The Gophers played hard. Arguably, they didn't play badly (though other than Hart, it didn't seem they were on top of their game). Stanford was simply better.

Also, I will note that I was a bit disappointed in the Gopher contingent in the crowd. It seemed the Gophers brought the least fans of the Final Four teams, their section of fans was the most sparse, and I hope somebody can provide a good excuse for the U not to send a pep band and/or cheerleaders. The other three teams brought theirs.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Please God, let Stanford smoke Wisconsin. Still pissed at Barnes.
I wish.

Just don't think it's gonna happen. They have too much. Haggarty, Retke, Hilley, Clark ... too much.

But Stanford is definitely the team that could take them out. That's for sure.

let'sbeclear

Reaction score
You gotta give Plumford credit. They took out the Big Ten's Penn State, Minnesota, and Wisconsin in nine straight sets. Congrats!

dlw4gophers

Reaction score
Wisconsin coach was almost speechless during his interview between sets. He was able to put a sentence together and said Plummer is the best non all-american in the history of the game. The missed games by Plummer is the only thing that kept her from be POY.

cncmin

Reaction score
Plummer and Hentz were women amongst girls in these semifinals. It is notable that it seems of PSU, Minn, and Wisc, Minn played Stanford the closest overall (-14). Gophers should be in a position to bring a top tier squad again next year. They need Samedy to play like Plummer, though, to win it all.

maroonfive

Reaction score
Thanks Stanford. Hard to cheer for the skunks no matter what the sport.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beavergopher

Reaction score
I liked it when the announcer called them the “Gophers of Wisconsin.”

MplsGopher

Reaction score
You gotta give Plumford credit. They took out the Big Ten's Penn State, Minnesota, and Wisconsin in nine straight sets. Congrats!
Haha! Plumford. That's awesome.

But to be fully honest, I think Hentz was just as important.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Plummer and Hentz were women amongst girls in these semifinals. It is notable that it seems of PSU, Minn, and Wisc, Minn played Stanford the closest overall (-14). Gophers should be in a position to bring a top tier squad again next year. They need Samedy to play like Plummer, though, to win it all.
What they need is for this coming class to be like Stanford's senior class has been the past four years.

That's what we need! :D

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I wish.

Just don't think it's gonna happen. They have too much. Haggarty, Retke, Hilley, Clark ... too much.

But Stanford is definitely the team that could take them out. That's for sure.
And I was completely and totally wrong on this.

Not a team in the country could beat Stanford as they existed at the end of the season. Not a single team could come close.

Hrothgar

Reaction score
And I was completely and totally wrong on this.

Not a team in the country could beat Stanford as they existed at the end of the season. Not a single team could come close.
Utah came close. What did Utah have, the BIG teams didn't? From what little I saw of Utah vs. Stanford, Utah had a left-handed player who kinda befuddled Stanford.

cncmin

Reaction score
What they need is for this coming class to be like Stanford's senior class has been the past four years.

That's what we need! :D
Just as strong, probably stronger than this Stanford class was what Penn State brought in the mid-00s.

cncmin

Reaction score
Utah came close. What did Utah have, the BIG teams didn't? From what little I saw of Utah vs. Stanford, Utah had a left-handed player who kinda befuddled Stanford.
Every team has an off day, every team has a good day. Stanford played unbeatable in the FF. I think they could have challenged any of the very best teams in history with how they played this past weekend. Absolutely dominating against some very, very good teams.

let'sbeclear

Reaction score
VolleyballMag.com All-Americans:

First Team -- Regan Pittman
Second Team -- Stephanie Samedy
Third Team -- Alexis Hart
Honorable Mention -- CC McGraw

Identical to AVCA's Gopher honorees.

Top Bottom