Gopher Volleyball 2019

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Any TV coverage info for this weekend?

FOLLOW THE GOPHERS
The Minneapolis NCAA First Round matches will be available via web streaming, free of cost. Should the Gophers advance to the NCAA Second Round, Minnesota and the winner of the Iowa State/Creighton match will be televised live on Big Ten Network at 8 p.m. Both Minnesota matches will also have a game day live page through gophersports.com.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Wisconsin and Minnesota will both advance. And so their first round final games will be on BTN at 6pm and 8pm CT, respectively.

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Friday night shouldn't be too competitive.

I hope Saturday is a Gopher 3-0 win also

let'sbeclear

Reaction score
I think that's correct, on average. But any given match ...
Creighton was hanging around #10 in the coaches' poll most of the season, but then fell back to #15 after they lost to St. John's in their conference tournament. They lost that match -17, -23, -24, after having beaten St. John's 3-0 twice during the regular season (24, 25, 19 in early October and 22, 12, 22 in early November). Still, I'll be surprised if the Gophers don't win both matches this weekend 3-0.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
And last night St John's went on to lose 0-3 to Texas A&M, which is from the crappy SEC. Although frankly, I think the SEC has caught and surpassed the ACC. I think the ACC is the worst P5 conference when it comes to vball.

Florida State lost to Central Florida last night.

So all in all, I guess I'm not too worried about Creighton. The real tournament starts for the Gophers in the 2nd round, with the rematch vs Texas in Austin, after they dispatch Florida again.

Waffle

Reaction score
So all in all, I guess I'm not too worried about Creighton. The real tournament starts for the Gophers in the 2nd round, with the rematch vs Texas in Austin, after they dispatch Florida again.
Assuming the Gophers win 2 this weekend, I'm hoping to see UCF in the Sweet 16 instead of Florida. Florida's kill leader Thayer Hall didn't play last night in their first round match. If she is out again tonight, let's see an upset!

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Not worried about either team. We soundly beat Florida after being dejected in Austin.

Why do you want C Florida, out of curiosity? Easier for Gophers to beat? I suppose beating Florida St and then Florida would be like their Super Bowl. But it's not like they'd have to play the Gophers right after that, they'd get some time to regroup.

Waffle

Reaction score
Not worried about either team. We soundly beat Florida after being dejected in Austin.

Why do you want C Florida, out of curiosity? Easier for Gophers to beat? I suppose beating Florida St and then Florida would be like their Super Bowl. But it's not like they'd have to play the Gophers right after that, they'd get some time to regroup.
Just preferring the underdog! I think the Gophers beat either.
Florida is a bit underwhelming to me so would like to see some new blood in the Sweet 16!

Hrothgar

Reaction score
So for folks in the VB know, what realistically are the Gophers' chances? With Kylie back setting & defending, can they go way deep or even win it all? Or a couple of wins and then home again?

Waffle

Reaction score
Ugh Texas rallies to win in 5. Now they get Louisville who upset Western KY.

let'sbeclear

Reaction score
There was a little girl,
Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
When she was good,
She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

-- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

When the Gophers receive serve well, they are very, very good. When they receive serve poorly, they are horrid. They showed both tonight in blowing out Fairfield. A mere four hitting errors in going .434 (40 for 83) to -.038 for Fairfield (22 for 106, with 26 errors). The horrid part was six receiving errors.

Last edited:

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Texas almost losing to UCSB makes me a bit nervous for tonight. You just don't know which serving/receiving/passing Gophers team will show up.

Blocking, setting, hitting is a strength, when they get the ball decently to the setter.

CutDownTheNet

Reaction score
Texas almost losing to UCSB makes me a bit nervous for tonight. You just don't know which serving/receiving/passing Gophers team will show up.

Blocking, setting, hitting is a strength, when they get the ball decently to the setter.
Didn’t make the match, but from what Twitter shows, looks like both the good and bad team showed tonite. Gophers will be down 2-1 momentarily. Will the good Gophers prevail in 5 like Texas did? Or will there be echoes of last year?

mplarson7

Reaction score
Alright, I might need to change my undergarments after that 4th set.

Let's play a 5th!

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Crazy. In the first set the Gophers took control of the net and that was that. Then crazy broke out. In the second set it looked like Samedy was so frustrated by the Blue Jays digging that she tried to drive the ball THROUGH the blockers. Miyabe came in and provided a spark; although we really needed a fire.

Anyway, the top two seeds in the Regional had to go five sets to advance. It should be a wild weekend in Austin.

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

#6 Pittsburgh is eliminated by Cincinnati. Jordan Thompson had a big night.

University of Cincinnati volleyball posted its biggest win in program history Saturday night as it took down No. 6 seed and No. 2 ranked Pitt in a competitive five sets.

UC advances to NCAA Regionals for the first time in program history after the historic Second Round victory. After losing the first set 26-24, UC tied the match at one with a 25-21 set two win. Pitt took set three 25-16 before UC once again tied it up after a 25-21 set four. Set five was won 15-13.

// NOTES
Jordan Thompson led the way with 27 kills and had six digs

let'sbeclear

Reaction score
Three observations: The Gophers had their usual problems in receiving serve that the stats often don't accurately reflect. Even if it's not a receiving error, they end up way too often being out of system when receiving serve. In part, that's why Creighton had 191 attempted kills to the Gophers 163. Second, Creighton's libero, Brittany Witt, was outstanding, making dig after dig on kills she had no right to return. Third, the Gophers showed incredible heart in coming back at the end of the fourth set. They simply refused to lose. Got to appreciate that. And a sidenote: Florida came oh-so-close to hosting our regional.

Last edited:

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Why would Florida have gotten to host?? We're seed #7 and they're #10. If Texas lost, why wouldn't we have gotten to host it?

cncmin

Reaction score
Three observations: The Gophers had their usual problems in receiving serve that the stats often don't accurately reflect. Even if it's not a receiving error, they end up way too often being out of system when receiving serve. In part, that's why Creighton had 191 attempted kills to the Gophers 163. Second, Creighton's libero, Brittany Witt, was outstanding, making dig after dig on kills she had no right to return. Third, the Gophers showed incredible heart in coming back at the end of the fourth set. They simply refused to lose. Got to appreciate that. And a sidenote: Florida came oh-so-close to hosting our regional.
Agreed on these. Witt was absolutely amazing. We didn't have the same on the other side. So many of our first passes were not precise.

What I saw last night seemed more of an emotional letdown than anything, though. Sometimes winning big in that first set isn't a good thing. The Gophers seemed to think they could just coast thereafter, and by the time they woke up, they were nervous with backs to the wall. The fourth set win was incredibly gutsy, and carried momentum into #5, but Creighton seemed the crisper and, perhaps, better organized team most of the night.

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the lineup card issue to start the 5th set? Gophers were gifted a point. Was hard to follow while at the match

Gopher68

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the lineup card issue to start the 5th set? Gophers were gifted a point. Was hard to follow while at the match
So near as I could tell, the lineup on the court did not match the lineup on the sheet turned into the down referee. I noticed what appeared to be a rather intense exchange between the coach and one of her assistants. Then, she made a change on the sheet and handed it back to the referee.

let'sbeclear

Reaction score
Gophers were not gifted a point though. Once it was straightened out, play began at 0-0.

Top Bottom