Gopher Softball 2022

Gopher68

Reaction score
If I were Ritter I would do everything humanly possible (within the rules, of course) to get Brandner back here. IMO she & Groenewegen are the 2 best all-around players MN has had, period. Brandner was as good a hitter as Lindaman even, and a better defensive player.
Her current partner is working in Chicago. Unfortunately, that makes Northwestern the most likely.

dlw4gophers

Reaction score
Two years away from the game, not sure how she will adjust to the game. Would like her with the Gophers as we find out.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
Who really knows how at least 5 of these 6 pitchers on the 2022 staff (Pease, Dueck, Jones, Hollifield, Leavitt, and Hostettler) can perform at the college level? And I have no clue if any of the six on the roster can take on Moulton/Groenewagen/Fiser levels of workload and still be effective.

With that said, if I were Ritter I would consider, with the exception of Pease, a high level of relief strategy where the non-Pease pitchers only have to get through the batting order once or so before they are relieved. It sounds like MLB’s middle relief strategy these days but it may be the best way to get wins, at least at the beginning of next year before one of these 5 pitchers can fully emerge as someone who can get through a batting order multiple times.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
Honestly, it seems to me that our ultimate success for next year (2022) is largely dependent upon what happens this off-season at Ann Arbor and Evanston. I don’t see us up there with Michigan if Beaubien returns. And I see Northwestern as a likely second-in-the-B1G team if Rachel Lewis returns. If both do not return and our less-experienced players really step it up, we could make it interesting in the Big Ten tournament.

This will be the first off-season in many offseasons where I don’t see us in at least complete parity with Michigan for the next season... but it should still be a good Gopher team next year; likely no worse than third in the Big Ten, which is pretty good considering the talent and experience we will have lost.
Looks like three of Michigan’s really good players popped up on the softball transfer list, including Allen and Jimenez who really took it to the Gophers over a month ago.

Maybe Minnesota will be the favorite to win the BIG going in to next year.

rowdaboat

Reaction score
Anyone have SA membership for the transfer list? KB Sides grad transfer from Bama pretty big name in it, Sara Jubas JMU as well according to 1 tweet. Lou Allan Michigan grad transfer in and Jessi Puk from miss to ASU

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
Anyone have SA membership for the transfer list? KB Sides grad transfer from Bama pretty big name in it, Sara Jubas JMU as well according to 1 tweet. Lou Allan Michigan grad transfer in and Jessi Puk from miss to ASU

Still just Brandner and Peterson on the transfer list (SA and D1 maintain lists viewable to members) from Minnesota. Now that the season is over, I would imagine if there were any other outgoing Gophers, we would see them pop up on that list very soon to allow themselves the greatest number of options.

While obviously not knowing all aspects of our players’ academic and relational happiness with the U of M community, purely as a matter of on-the-field softball stuff, the existing players on the roster may think there are enough openings in the lineup or available innings that will need to be pitched in 2022. Therefore, there would be opportunities for those players that played very little in 2021 to fairly compete for those spots in 2022so that transferring out may not yet make sense. I have some doubt that any other existing Gophers will pop up as an outgoing transfer until next Summer.

rowdaboat

Reaction score
One tweet that Ole Miss has 11 players in portal. Can't guess why that'd be

dlw4gophers

Reaction score
Not defending her, but could all be upper classes and she is going with her recruits so they are not going to see the field

4EverAGopher

Reaction score
Wonder if Nyomi Jones at Ole Miss is in the portal? One cannot forget that incident with the pushing of the ump atound home plate. I for one could not believe she did that.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
Wonder if Nyomi Jones at Ole Miss is in the portal? One cannot forget that incident with the pushing of the ump atound home plate. I for one could not believe she did that.
Nyomi Jones is not presently in the transfer lists.

But Ole Miss has that giant, 11 person transfer group presently in there. I have long been a Trachsel apologist-of-sorts and moderately supportive of her as a head coach… but all of these transfers from Ole Miss makes me wonder if I was wrong. At least, it is another piece of evidence that maybe I was wrong about her. Who knows?

rowdaboat

Reaction score
Vestal (2018 #1 recruit) and 2 or 3 others transferring Oklahoma. Tons to choose from in portal but not sure if Gophers could find any scholarship money

Top Bottom