Gopher softball 2021

goherfan48

Reaction score
I feel the same way, although there are a couple of factors to consider in this case.

1. The incident in question took place pretty far from campus.

2. The U has terminated their involvement/relationship with the MPD. And I have a feeling the reason for that termination was to specifically ensure the well-being and safety of the student body and the university community as a whole.

For those reasons, I get the feeling it won't affect student athletes and their parents that much.

At least, that's what I'm hoping...
I understand what you are saying, I am not sure that the out of state athletes and parents know or understand what you are saying. As far as they know the incident, by the news could happened right next to the campus. I am also sure that most are not aware the used MPD nor that they terminated the u involvement/relationship with MPD. (knowing that could work both ways?)

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying, I am not sure that the out of state athletes and parents know or understand what you are saying. As far as they know the incident, by the news could happened right next to the campus. I am also sure that most are not aware the used MPD nor that they terminated the u involvement/relationship with MPD. (knowing that could work both ways?)
What at incredibly unfortunate set of circumstances all around, for Minneapolis and the broader nation. As a softball fanatic, the sooner attention can return to competition on the field, the better for my personal mental health.

MRJ

Reaction score
I'm sure everyone is very well aware as of now, including student athletes and their parents.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet that president Gabel sent an email to the entire campus community detailing the U's decision to terminate their relationship with the MPD. An announcement that major by a public university isn't going to kept behind closed doors. And by extension, the message would be relayed by coaches to prospective recruits and their parents as well.

Gopher68

Reaction score
Both of her assit. coaches are going to be great. Can you guess who the 2nd one is?
For what it's worth, I noticed a tweet from Piper that was a talk given by paraolympian Alana Nichols. It was attended by softball and soccer coaches and players. Katie Richardson was one of the attendees. Looked like she had a Minnesota softball logo in the background.

goherfan48

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I noticed a tweet from Piper that was a talk given by paraolympian Alana Nichols. It was attended by softball and soccer coaches and players. Katie Richardson was one of the attendees. Looked like she had a Minnesota softball logo in the background.
think she might be the next ast coach?

MRJ

Reaction score
I know there has also been some chatter here about Ansleigh Hollifield and wondering whether she's still coming to Minnesota despite Trachsel moving south and being a native of Georgia.

Well, here's a little update! :D

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
I know there has also been some chatter here about Ansleigh Hollifield and wondering whether she's still coming to Minnesota despite Trachsel moving south and being a native of Georgia.

Very good confirmatory news that all is holding together despite the Spring turmoil. As stated, she was the ‘21 season Freshman recruit I was most worried about bolting when Coach Trachsel left. When Piper was named coach, I was more confident.

We need the pitching depth she provides, and overall athletic depth, and Georgia would be a great recruiting market to open up more broadly.

Reactions: MRJ

MRJ

Reaction score
Very good confirmatory news that all is holding together despite the Spring turmoil. As stated, she was the ‘21 season Freshman recruit I was most worried about bolting when Coach Trachsel left. When Piper was named coach, I was more confident.

We need the pitching depth she provides, and overall athletic depth, and Georgia would be a great recruiting market to open up more broadly.
I knew you were nervous, so I figured I'd help alleviate your anxiety! ;)

ComoGopher

Reaction score

Good to see she is solid.

Reactions: MRJ

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
I suppose I just need to go ahead and get a subscription to SA or DI, but are there any new updates to the NCAA transfer portal effecting the Gophers? I think I remember there may two Gophers on the transfer list as of a couple months ago.

Gopher68

Reaction score
I suppose I just need to go ahead and get a subscription to SA or DI, but are there any new updates to the NCAA transfer portal effecting the Gophers? I think I remember there may two Gophers on the transfer list as of a couple months ago.
Two definite transfers - Josey White and Shyann Beddow.. Both are no longer on the roster. Neither Kaylen Krueger nor Hope Brandner are on the roster for Fall. I do not think that they are transferring, but are retiring.

dlw4gophers

Reaction score
Kaylen was a Sr. Looks like she choose to just get on with her life after school. Good for her. Whatever Hope is looking for, I hope she finds it. She was a treat to watch for the year she played here and I wish her well in whatever she decides to do.

Softballjunkie

Reaction score
Welcome Home Katie Richardson!!!! Justin’s World of Softball has put it out there that indeed Katie is coming home as an assistant coach. No official announcement from Gopher Softball yet, but this is the coaching staff we wanted!!!!

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
Things really seem to be holding together nicely for the Gophers in this time of transition... so far. Assuming coronavirus dissipates a little and allows the 2021 season to happen, I am quite optimistic this is a potential Big Ten regular season and tournament championship type-of-team.

To do so we will still need a Freshman to emerge as able to put good contact to college pitching (which should be possible given seven new faces that can swing bats) and a young pitcher (Jones/Hollifield/Dueck) to emerge who can regularly get good batters out.

Am I crazy for feeling this positive about our 2021 prospects?

EdinaSBfan

Reaction score
This is so exciting. Katie Rich is going to be awesome. She will improve our hitting. Piper will continue to be one of the best pitching coaches. Coach Wynn will take care of the defense. The alumni will come back. The great culture established by Coach Al will be back. Our program will be classy and well-respected throughout the country. It'll be fun to be a Gopher fan again.

MRJ

Reaction score
Obviously, I'm thrilled that Katie has come home!!! :clap:

She was a fantastic player (one of my favorites) and I have no doubt she he will be just as good as a coach alongside Piper and Wynn.

The amount of dedication, loyalty and stability that has endured throughout the process has been extremely impressive. Not one player defection (other than Hope for obvious reasons) and virtually all the recruits are still on board, including all of them for 2021.

In other words, the program appears as strong as ever.

Now, we just have to get COVID-19 under control so the ladies can do their thing in 2021! :D

Hrothgar

Reaction score
Obviously, I'm thrilled that Katie has come home!!! :clap:

She was a fantastic player (one of my favorites) and I have no doubt she he will be just as good as a coach alongside Piper and Wynn.

The amount of dedication, loyalty and stability that has endured throughout the process has been extremely impressive. Not one player defection (other than Hope for obvious reasons) and virtually all the recruits are still on board, including all of them for 2021.

In other words, the program appears as strong as ever.

Now, we just have to get COVID-19 under control so the ladies can do their thing in 2021! :D
I agree with what you say. After Jensen, Partain, & Denhartog, the hitting still concerns me, though. They need some more power hitting of the Brandner type. I don't mean to nitpick, but you wrote no player defections "other than Hope for obvious reasons." Were there obvious reasons? Just curious.

MRJ

Reaction score
I agree with what you say. After Jensen, Partain, & Denhartog, the hitting still concerns me, though. They need some more power hitting of the Brandner type. I don't mean to nitpick, but you wrote no player defections "other than Hope for obvious reasons." Were there obvious reasons? Just curious.
Seems she quit softball due to continued injury issues. I might be wrong there, but that's the impression I got.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
I agree with what you say. After Jensen, Partain, & Denhartog, the hitting still concerns me, though.
That middle of the batting order is going to be key. As I have written before, I expect between Strelow, Costa, Ehlke, Cox, Kinch, Ceynowa, Jones and even Hollifield, someone has got to be able drive the ball to join Kemmetmueller and Hansen in the middle of the lineup (or even push those upperclassmen into the 7 or 8 spot.) That is too many people for none of them to be able to hit college pitching square up.

As to the bottom of the order, Peterson, Densen and Beckstrom likewise have to be able to push Van Der Heide, Lindbner, and Brandt. There are just too many new players that have potential. Honestly, that should be as good or better of a bottom six of the order as Northwestern, Michigan, or Wisconsin. And those teams will really struggle to keep up with our first three batters and our pitching When considered together. Given the whole team, I like our chances. Of course, maybe Corol Hutchins and other Michigan fans are saying the same thing.

Tucker

Reaction score
Seems she quit softball due to continued injury issues. I might be wrong there, but that's the impression I got.
Maybe this wasn't posted at the time.
Minnesota Daily Logo
1/28/2020, 3:57PM Gophers announce Hope Brandner is not medically cleared to play

Gopher68

Reaction score
This is so exciting. Katie Rich is going to be awesome. She will improve our hitting. Piper will continue to be one of the best pitching coaches. Coach Wynn will take care of the defense. The alumni will come back. The great culture established by Coach Al will be back. Our program will be classy and well-respected throughout the country. It'll be fun to be a Gopher fan again.
Great interview with Katie. She discusses some of the responsibilities that the coaches will have. Couldn't be happier to have her back home!

Last edited:

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
That middle of the batting order is going to be key. As I have written before, I expect between Strelow, Costa, Ehlke, Cox, Kinch, Ceynowa, Jones and even Hollifield, someone has got to be able drive the ball to join Kemmetmueller and Hansen in the middle of the lineup (or even push those upperclassmen into the 7 or 8 spot.) That is too many people for none of them to be able to hit college pitching square up.

As to the bottom of the order, Peterson, Densen and Beckstrom likewise have to be able to push Van Der Heide, Lindbner, and Brandt. There are just too many new players that have potential. Honestly, that should be as good or better of a bottom six of the order as Northwestern, Michigan, or Wisconsin. And those teams will really struggle to keep up with our first three batters and our pitching When considered together. Given the whole team, I like our chances. Of course, maybe Corol Hutchins and other Michigan fans are saying the same thing.
And I forgot about Chloe Evans; yet another batter who very well may be able to square up against college pitching. That is a big roster, but I like our odds of putting a really good team on the field in 2021.

I am just increasingly worried about not getting a 2021 softball season in due to this Coronavirus problem we are having.

Holy Man

Reaction score
And I forgot about Chloe Evans; yet another batter who very well may be able to square up against college pitching. That is a big roster, but I like our odds of putting a really good team on the field in 2021.

I am just increasingly worried about not getting a 2021 softball season in due to this Coronavirus problem we are having.
Far more likely to get softball in than other sports. Smaller crowds and playing outside reduce the risk of spread of the virus. Perhaps a greater risk is the financial disaster that could wreak havoc on non revenue sports if football isn't played. I don't know if that cancels a season, but it could change the landscape substantially with severely reduced budgets and dropped programs.

Top Bottom