Gopher softball 2021

Tucker

Reaction score
Northwestern and Michigan scheduled for 4 this weekend.

Iowa is over .500, a sweep will be tough, if we can do it Gophers will be due some props :)

FormerFatOL

Reaction score
Watching the MI vs. NW game, got up to refill the coffee, just in time to miss an inside-the-park grand slam by Michigan. No replay. I've never seen that happen (above maybe 10U). Darn it.

rowdaboat

Reaction score
Is jensen still not 100% with defensive sub most games?

Tucker

Reaction score
Makenna Partain stops her swing with the pitch halfway to the plate to adjust to the change up and then finishes to hit a base hit up the middle :)

Beautiful!

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
Is jensen still not 100% with defensive sub most games?

I heard somewhere earlier this season that Ritter and the coaches were trying to “manage” Jensen; which was assumed to be related to preservation of her physical health.

I assume Lindner’s regular appearances as a defensive substitute and even her start today is part of that “management” of Jensen.

FormerFatOL

Reaction score
I'm guessing Evans goes through multiple bats a season the way she pounds the ground with it before each pitch :) Whatever works, keep doing it.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
Michigan thrown out at home to end 5th down by 2
Looking at the remaining schedule for both Michigan and Minnesota, with that loss to Iowa earlier today it looks to me like the Gophers will need to win at least 3 of 4 at home against Michigan to win the Big Ten. Totally doable - Michigan doesn’t look overly awesome.

let'sbeclear

Reaction score
Looking at the remaining schedule for both Michigan and Minnesota, with that loss to Iowa earlier today it looks to me like the Gophers will need to win at least 3 of 4 at home against Michigan to win the Big Ten. Totally doable - Michigan doesn’t look overly awesome.
Yeah, I thought it was a given that the Gophers would likely have to take three of four from Michigan.

4EverAGopher

Reaction score
Tough day for the Gophers vs. Iowa. At least they held on for the split. They need to go out their tomorrow and get that needed win to keep pace for the BIG title.

In case anybody is or would be interested, I came upon a 30 minute show on ESPNU called The Season: OLe Miss Softball: Follow the Ole Miss program throughout the season as they make their yearly push for Oklahoma City.

What I heard during this interview was how she loves building relationships with the players and is a great defensive coach. An In the Circle clip showed Trachsel with a cap that had the Minnesota Maroon "M" emblem on the right and OHC Bound on the left as you look at the cap. Yeah....

Assistant Coach, Katie, also appeared and stated how it only took her 10 seconds to say yes to the Ole Miss opportunity.

mngolf

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks they are bettering themselves, I can't get too mad at. I'm hoping we get the better of that deal anyway.

Hrothgar

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought it was a given that the Gophers would likely have to take three of four from Michigan.
I think by not sweeping Iowa & Purdue the Gophers have lost their chance at a BIG title. It's mystifying that they never make any adjustments to left-handed changeup pitchers. One time through the order and those should be the easiest pitchers to hit ---if they learn to sit on the changeup, which they never do.

dlw4gophers

Reaction score
I think by not sweeping Iowa & Purdue the Gophers have lost their chance at a BIG title. It's mystifying that they never make any adjustments to left-handed changeup pitchers. One time through the order and those should be the easiest pitchers to hit ---if they learn to sit on the changeup, which they never do.

dlw4gophers

Reaction score
Look at the standing. Win tomorrow and sweep Wisconsin and PSU.. Take three of four from Michigan and the title is there. Difficult to do, yes. Doable, Yes.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
Who else has noticed that it seems as though every single game we have played this year has been a close game?

Just two games have not made 7 innings and one of those was a loss. Just as a matter of competitive viewable entertainment, it has been a fun year so far.

To have a 75 percent win percentage when almost all of the games appear to be almost coin-flip games is actually quite fortunate.

mngolf

Reaction score
Thanks. I saw a HS game where the ump called interference against the base runner blocking the SS on a play like that. Weird call. The home coach (team in the field) convinced the ump to call it and visiting coach went ballistic.
That was the worst defensive effort for NW. And should have been an error or just a single + errors. Ball through the legs of the SS, terrible throw to the plate. The rest were mental errors.

FormerFatOL

Reaction score
That was the worst defensive effort for NW. And should have been an error or just a single + errors. Ball through the legs of the SS, terrible throw to the plate. The rest were mental errors.

Agreed. That was a collection of errors.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
I am sure the Big Ten Network is pleased with themselves by announcing at the beginning of the season that they will carry all four of the Michigan/Minnesota series on BTN. Obviously, no other B1G softball series received close to that kind of coverage this year.

It is like they knew this coming showdown would be for the Big Ten softball title.

Hrothgar

Reaction score
I am sure the Big Ten Network is pleased with themselves by announcing at the beginning of the season that they will carry all four of the Michigan/Minnesota series on BTN. Obviously, no other B1G softball series received close to that kind of coverage this year.

It is like they knew this coming showdown would be for the Big Ten softball title.
What chances do you give the Gophers in that series? I'm hoping for the best. Northwestern seems to have blown their chances this weekend, so now it's in the Gophers hands.

mngolf

Reaction score
Mich .299 Avg 1st
MN .251 7th

MN 36 HR's 1st
Mich 24 3rd

Mich 1.01 ERA 1st
MN 1.80 2nd

Mich .979 Fielding % 1st
MN .971 Tied 4th

MN 152 Runs scored 2nd
Mich 125 6th