Gopher softball 2021

FormerFatOL

Reaction score
Damn. I answer the phone and miss the bottom of the last inning. Must have been quick.

Hrothgar

Reaction score
This umpire crew is atrocious. No consistency to the strike zone at all and seems like they weren't even sure whose call the foul/fair ball was.
I thought the home plate ump was very good the first 2 or 3 innings, but as it got tighter for the home team later, the calls were increasingly horrible for MN. Fiser did well keeping her cool on bad ball/strike calls

mngolf

Reaction score
Nice job by pitchers and Nice job of team to keep fighting

Goldy Gopher

Reaction score
I thought the home plate ump was very good the first 2 or 3 innings, but as it got tighter for the home team later, the calls were increasingly horrible for MN. Fiser did well keeping her cool on bad ball/strike calls
I didn't get home and get the game turned on until the bottom of the 3rd and within the first two half innings I saw there were at least 2 pitches same location with different results so it definitely could've been better early I just saw the inconsistency starting in the middle innings.

Hrothgar

Reaction score
I didn't get home and get the game turned on until the bottom of the 3rd and within the first two half innings I saw there were at least 2 pitches same location with different results so it definitely could've been better early I just saw the inconsistency starting in the middle innings.
I saw the whole game, except for the last half inning. Beginning with & after Kemmetmueller's steal attempt before DenHartog's HR, the Gophers were getting ripped off over and again. But I'm only saying how I saw it.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score

That win was huge. We don’t even know how many more games, if any, they will get in this weekend. A loss would have been bad.

Plus it was a win, where our stars played well, as called by Beth Mowins and Michelle Smith. I think that may make their coverage of the Gophers on their podcast better... at least for a few weeks.

Tucker

Reaction score
Probability of precipitation in Evanston drops all the way from 100% at 2PM down to 99% at 3PM, so I'm confident we may see some ball played this afternoon :)

BTW-probability is 43% at noon and
33% at 11AM tomorrow.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
Halfway through the 2021 Big Ten season and one thing is now abundantly and somewhat worryingly clear: Head Coach/Pitching Coach Piper Martin only really trusts two pitchers on staff to get needed outs in competitive games.

Many teams are willing to place easily 3 or 4 pitchers on the mound in competitive games.

mngolf

Reaction score
Halfway through the 2021 Big Ten season and one thing is now abundantly and somewhat worryingly clear: Head Coach/Pitching Coach Piper Martin only really trusts two pitchers on staff to get needed outs in competitive games.

Many teams are willing to place easily 3 or 4 pitchers on the mound in competitive games.
To add to that. I'd say that Fiser is finding her groove again, but that we have hitters that may not be B1G material.

4EverAGopher

Reaction score

I totally agree and believe I stated something similar to this earlier. So how far can this team go in the Post Season? At this point, the chances for winning/advancing look pretty slim. How often do Groenewegen's come along?

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
I totally agree and believe I stated something similar to this earlier. So how far can this team go in the Post Season? At this point, the chances for winning/advancing look pretty slim. How often do Groenewegen's come along?

Speaking of Sara G., I am now prepared, in my opinion, to rank McKenna Partain ahead of Kendall Lindaman and behind only Groenewagen, as the second best Minnesota softball player in recent Gopher history.

4EverAGopher

Reaction score
There are Naturals in every sport. Sara G was one of them. Agree.....I am ranking Partain second. I love watching her at the plate. She makes it look so so easy. Just dialed into the pitcher and goes with the pitch.

There are above average players and those that develop into better players. One of my favorites was Macken. Could not understand her being on the bench with one of the best batting averages on the team. Coaches, at that time, finally woke up and started her at third and us fans know how her Gopher career turned out and the difference her bat made for us in Post Season

The unfortunate thing about this season is we might have a lot of average players with 2-3 above. Let's hope Denhartog continues to light it up at the plate this season and next. Other than that, I am afraid this coaching staff has a lot of developing on their hands in the near future

4EverAGopher

Reaction score
Very happy for the team and Fiser's performance/win yesterday.

So far Pease has settled down and we have another fun game to watch right now.

However, I am glad that these announcers appear to really love announcing this sport. But geez, can you slow down and maybe take a breath or two or three? I am sure most of you watching the game understand what I am saying.

Tucker

Reaction score
Very happy for the team and Fiser's performance/win yesterday.

So far Pease has settled down and we have another fun game to watch right now.

However, I am glad that these announcers appear to really love announcing this sport. But geez, can you slow down and maybe take a breath or two or three? I am sure most of you watching the game understand what I am saying.
I’ve got it muted (again). I think almost all announcers and announcing teams would be well served by cutting out 25-50% of their words.

Like Erika Smyth!!!!

rowdaboat

Reaction score
It's just on BTN+ right? Couldn't find a free stream for it pay for enough packages as is

Tucker

Reaction score
Great play by Brandt. Looked like she was calling it as loud and often as she could!

Sorry for Ellee.

Out of the sixth, 5-2. Attaway Autumn :)

Last edited:

Tucker

Reaction score
Big, big smile on Emily Hansen’s face at third after hustling around three bases and knocking in an insurance run in the 7th!

4EverAGopher

Reaction score
It's just on BTN+ right? Couldn't find a free stream for it pay for enough packages as is
YES to your question. You either give in and pay the extra money or cannot watch all the games. Unfortunately all these streaming services want a cut of the money.

4EverAGopher

Reaction score
Beautiful double play by Kemmetmueller. JUST BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Dueck in the bottom of 7th and held the Wildcats scoreless for the save.

Gophers win 6-2 and are playing their best softball of the season IMO.

rowdaboat

Reaction score
15-3 Michigan, 18-4 Northwestern, 17-5 Gophers, Illinois 6 losses and down 4-0 early to nebraska

mngolf

Reaction score
They will be ranked if they can take the next 2 games. Then things start happening.

Hrothgar

Reaction score
Interesting comment. A few years ago when Groenewegen was playing, I started talking to some guy at a college game, who turned out to be a scout for some team. He said, "Yeah, MN's got Groenewegen. The problem is that Florida has 3 Groenewegens." Yeah, maybe they did.

Top Bottom